Why Firing Mike McCarthy Was Necessary for the Packers

Depends on the OC etc but conceptually they use two running backs and a fullback or H-back...you could use 2 wr/slotbacks and a power running back as well. Sure you can pass from it..run a fly sweep from it etc. The point is to exploit a defense by finding the big play.

Interesting stuff. Is this conceptually more of what goes on in college? And is this what some of what could work in the NFL?

Very much what the college game is...the diamond power concept was invented by North Dakota state. The Rams...Bears and Titans all used variations of it this yr.

Not an OSU or Meyer fan but I always liked his concepts. Haskins thrived this year. It helps to have top talent but it always seemed to have defenses guessing and it was attacking

Listining to Sirius NFL radio saying people around league like MM as a coach but his offense is dated and that he needs to get up to date with what teams are running today.

Also that his family will play into were he could end up. Saying his step sons are in high school in GB still and that they do not want to pull them out of school before they would graduate.

Also that his family will play into were he could end up. Saying his step sons are in high school in GB still and that they do not want to pull them out of school before they would graduate.
So then a QC job with his former GB team? Maybe a front office hire by The Murph?

I'm pretty sure a TE will be used/needed. Maybe not as much as before. (A FB - probably not.)

The Titans with LaFleur at OC/playcaller completed 50+ passes for 600+ yds to a so-so group of TEs/H-backs this year. Other teams we are looking at, to raid their offensive coaches like NE (60+ for 800+) and New Orleans (60+ for 700+), also both use tight ends reasonably often.

The real question is how much you want to invest in them. Maybe you don't need first round talents or big-$ FAs but you can only run unique formations a certain amount and it's no longer novel, and defenses adapt. I believe that even the most innovative offenses will still use concepts at times that go back to more traditional looks and formations a significant amount of snaps. A good coach will use a TE if he has one, and adjust if he doesn't, unlike MM.

I'm hoping the new coach will be more flexible in terms of using what he's got. (Unlike MM who seemed to want to, for example, force DeShone Kizer to be AR last week instead of adjusting and giving him some safer and easier throws to make.) I'd also like to see less of this "one personnel package for an entire drive" stuff. Sure the defense can't sub, but you also limit what you can do and cut down what a defense needs to defend. Let's be less cute and more cutting edge.

As for controlling AR - who the hell knows. Maybe he was just pissed off with MM and will fall in line better with a new coach - at least for 2-3 years. After that, it may not matter.

I'm pretty sure a TE will be used/needed. Maybe not as much as before. (A FB - probably not.)

The Titans with LaFleur at OC/playcaller completed 50+ passes for 600+ yds to a so-so group of TEs/H-backs this year. Other teams we are looking at, to raid their offensive coaches like NE (60+ for 800+) and New Orleans (60+ for 700+), also both use tight ends reasonably often.

The real question is how much you want to invest in them. Maybe you don't need first round talents or big-$ FAs but you can only run unique formations a certain amount and it's no longer novel, and defenses adapt. I believe that even the most innovative offenses will still use concepts at times that go back to more traditional looks and formations a significant amount of snaps. A good coach will use a TE if he has one, and adjust if he doesn't, unlike MM.

I'm hoping the new coach will be more flexible in terms of using what he's got. (Unlike MM Philbin who seemed to want to, for example, force DeShone Kizer to be AR last week instead of adjusting and giving him some safer and easier throws to make.) I'd also like to see less of this "one personnel package for an entire drive" stuff. Sure the defense can't sub, but you also limit what you can do and cut down what a defense needs to defend. Let's be less cute and more cutting edge.

As for controlling AR - who the hell knows. Maybe he was just pissed off with MM and will fall in line better with a new coach - at least for 2-3 years. After that, it may not matter.

If I'm looking at NFL.com stats correctly, looks like MM used TEs in the 60+ category too.

I get what you're stating, and I agree, our old coach had only knew one way.

Bless his heart

Another article on the Lewis comments with some more info, like this part --

McCarthy is the play caller, but because Rodgers is so intelligent and such a good improvisational player, the quarterback has the green light to change plays on the field as he see fit. He does, so often that it can be hard for McCarthy to get into a rhythm as the play caller. McCarthy might call the same play three times in a game, without the play actually being run as he called it. And if McCarthy calls a play that Rodgers doesn’t like early in the game, that can sour the mood for the rest of the game. Several sources familiar with the inner workings of the organization say that it devolved into a competition over who can call the better play, and both want the credit when things go right.

https://totalpackers.com/2019/01/marcedes-lewis-rodgers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So in reality, Rodgers didn't do anything he wasn't allowed to do. With that said, if the coach is calling plays, unless its something really obvious that play wont work based on the defense, the QB shouldn't be able to change the play just because he dont like it. Audibles at the line based on the defensive look is ok, but otherwise should be running the called plays. In this case he didn't do anything wrong as he was allowed to change plays.

Insubordination and you fired the HC...hmmm interesting.

Back