Why Firing Mike McCarthy Was Necessary for the Packers

Don’t want to speak for anyone but perhaps we’re talking about a traditional TE vs a new breed Finley type TE, who is more of a big WR. That’s what we had in Cook with some late season success. It’s what we wanted out of Graham but his legs are shot. There were a couple of those guys last year in the draft but we passed. I still think we need one big time.

Except weren't we hearing for years, "if we only had a tight end?"

Hearing from whom ? Posters on the forums and media ? Rodgers and MM have been favoring 4 wide and spread sets for a long long time. Listen less to packersnews.com/ESPN/bloggers.... look at the offense by formation and it will always tell the truth.

Don’t want to speak for anyone but perhaps we’re talking about a traditional TE vs a new breed Finley type TE, who is more of a big WR. That’s what we had in Cook with some late season success. It’s what we wanted out of Graham but his legs are shot. There were a couple of those guys last year in the draft but we passed. I still think we need one big time.

In some regards yes but when your playing 4 wide or a 3 x 1 set the TE is really a hindrance. He has tried to use TE as H-backs as well but again they don't fit the offensive concept. It's a 2 way street here.... Rodgers had a concept he wanted to run and MM plugged in his. Over time it couldn't have worked regardless of personal.

A lot of blame to go around. My point was that Lewis came in from JAX plays a season and bitch's about being misused ?? That's nuts for an older dude who is essential a blocking TE anymore.

There is a lack of TE that can be used for NFL offenses. Do college teams even use a TE anymore? Teams that still have good ones will use them. Like NE... But overall there just aren't many TE coming up who can handle the TE spot in NFL.. the times they are a changing. It's better to have a big WR than s TE in most cases.

I actually don't argue about the need of a Tight End, but I seem to recall the media blathering on and on about how bad we needed one after losing Finley

“Let’s be honest, the middle of the field is open now,” McCarthy said. “League rules. Big people running down the middle of the field, I’ll make no secret about it. I think that’s a key to offensive success, whether that’s a big receiver or big tight end or a big man running down the middle of the field, making those safeties cover you. It’s an important part of playing in today’s NFL.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...lan-for-2016-get-down-the-middle-and-get-open

Teams that have big & quick TE’s still use them effectively.
Heck, you can even scheme open old/slow TE’s if you want! Just look at ol’ Antiono Gates of the Chargers.

Mikes problem was that his offense was predicated on winning one on one matchups, primarily on the perimeter RATHER THAN using scheme to get people open.

As defenses have adapted to rules changes that have favored offenses and scoring (to entertain the public), they have gotten more sophisticated and use more specialized personnel packages.

Mike never adapted his offense as the defenses adapted to stopping his. JMHO.

“Let’s be honest, the middle of the field is open now,” McCarthy said. “League rules. Big people running down the middle of the field, I’ll make no secret about it. I think that’s a key to offensive success, whether that’s a big receiver or big tight end or a big man running down the middle of the field, making those safeties cover you. It’s an important part of playing in today’s NFL.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...lan-for-2016-get-down-the-middle-and-get-open

Mar 24, 2016 ......that's ancient history in the world of evolving offensive schemes boys. Again when your talking spread concepts there isn't really a true TE.

A hot concept is the diamond power read look.....

Taylor2edited.jpg

See any TE in that look ? It's a pistol power O look.....

The playside back and the pistol back are both lead blockers on the perimeter for the backside back on his sweep path. The playside back releases wide and blocks the first-, second- or third-level defender outside the read-key (the playside safety in the diagram above). The pistol back blocks the most dangerous defender in relation to the one the playside back blocks, usually a support defender inside that one (the playisde linebacker in the diagram above). There are a few advantages to running this concept from the diamond formation:

• It's an unusual formation that defenses typically don’t see very often.
• The formation is balanced and allows for a diverse number of run schemes that can attack any gap.
• By utilizing two lead blockers for the sweep, the offense can account for the alley defender and the playside linebacker.
• In the event of a give, the offense brings three players from the box to the perimeter post-snap, which likely gives them a numbers advantage over the defense.
• Due to the balanced nature of the formation, they can bring all 3 backs to either side of the field post-snap. In order for the defense to counteract this and even the numbers, they must play very aggressively, which lends itself to some misdirection opportunities off this play.
For the defense to counteract this and even the numbers, they must play very aggressively, which lends itself to some misdirection opportunities.

Example versus a 3-4, two-high alignment from the defense. Because the EMLOS is aligned inside-shade of the PST, the tackle arcs and looks to seal the playside linebacker:

Taylor4edited.jpg

This is todays power set. NO TE to be seen unless you use him as an H-back hybrid

Mar 24, 2016 ......that's ancient history in the world of evolving offensive schemes boys. Again when your talking spread concepts there isn't really a true TE.

A hot concept is the diamond power read look.....

Taylor2edited.jpg

See any TE in that look ? It's a pistol power O look.....

The playside back and the pistol back are both lead blockers on the perimeter for the backside back on his sweep path. The playside back releases wide and blocks the first-, second- or third-level defender outside the read-key (the playside safety in the diagram above). The pistol back blocks the most dangerous defender in relation to the one the playside back blocks, usually a support defender inside that one (the playisde linebacker in the diagram above). There are a few advantages to running this concept from the diamond formation:

• It's an unusual formation that defenses typically don’t see very often.
• The formation is balanced and allows for a diverse number of run schemes that can attack any gap.
• By utilizing two lead blockers for the sweep, the offense can account for the alley defender and the playside linebacker.
• In the event of a give, the offense brings three players from the box to the perimeter post-snap, which likely gives them a numbers advantage over the defense.
• Due to the balanced nature of the formation, they can bring all 3 backs to either side of the field post-snap. In order for the defense to counteract this and even the numbers, they must play very aggressively, which lends itself to some misdirection opportunities off this play.
For the defense to counteract this and even the numbers, they must play very aggressively, which lends itself to some misdirection opportunities.

Example versus a 3-4, two-high alignment from the defense. Because the EMLOS is aligned inside-shade of the PST, the tackle arcs and looks to seal the playside linebacker:

Taylor4edited.jpg

This is todays power set. NO TE to be seen unless you use him as an H-back hybrid

Are you trying to say McCarthy's ridiculous reverse wishbone is in vogue? Why did we fire him?

Seriously, I haven't seen this - but I haven't been looking. I will watch for it during the playoffs

Are you trying to say McCarthy's ridiculous reverse wishbone is in vogue? Why did we fire him?

Seriously, I haven't seen this - but I haven't been looking. I will watch for it during the playoffs
No this is a pistol spread concept.... MM runs a conventional offense. This is what the rams...Titans and others are doing more of. Point being the conventional TE isn't used like it used to be.

Back