What really happened in GB

Like in any organization winning cures a lot of ills. And when you get 53 players in a locker room that have been entitled since they stepped foot on college campus egos and personalities will clash. If you start to lose it’s never their fault it’s someone else’s. That’s lot of what happened here from a chemistry point of view

Winning cures ills, but there’s something about the personalities here that makes this especially gossipy. New Orleans went 7-9 for three seasons in a row. Sure some people questioned if Brees was too old, but no one said he was a bad guy or a bad leader or that he was the reason the team was losing. No one came out airing Sean Peyton’s dirty laundry. The roster got bad so they lost, then it got better and they started to win. In GB even when the team was making a run to the NFCC two years ago, there were sewer fumes coming out of that locker room. TT’s lethargy plus the MM/AR relationship was poison.

As many have said it’s more of an organizational failure so how did each contribute....IMO

Murphy: With winning football was not a priority. Stands were full, money flowed and merchandise sold. The priority became Titletown. With that football was delegated to Thompson and McCarthy and Ball. Hands off and when the wheels came off he was clueless. Think back to how Murphy handled Favre mess. He could not he had to bring in Ari to fix the PR blunder. From Titletown to defacto GM, not a recipe for success

McCarthy: His system did not evolve and ran the team more as the CEO. It’s fine to delegate but his mind was closed adjustments. The narrative that Rodgers carries him are misplaced. Look at BB with out Brady. It’s not pretty even at NE. What did Parcells accomplish in Dallas? Why did Payton go 7-9 three straight years? Well a good draft saved his ass. Hell even Caldwell won with Manning and so did Dungy. Bottom line the vast majority of successful HC are carried by the QB or fail with the QB

Thompson: His failure to use free agency was a big part of his downfall. You cannot plug and play in the NFL, league has to much talent and you need to give the staff the bullets to go to war. His early success clouded his perspective. And then it’s the health issues. We will never know how bad it was but clearly was an issues. You win with talent and he did not supply it

Rodgers: If he had a grudge with McCarthy from the draft grow a pair. It’s the NFL not Cal. There were some chatter that he dropped because of attitude and yes some mechanical issues. He came from a laid back environment and Cal was not the most structured program under Tedford. You don’t become a leader, you are one. And part of leadership is respect. It’s clear he did not respect his HC and that attitude can drain and strain a locker room.

One big organizational cluster dumpster fire

Here's something...went back in my old forum archives from that free forum we had in Nov 2008, post by ironman.

When asked about the penalties and whether or not it was attributed to a lack of discipline or focus, MM said no.

The man has lost his mind. "I'm not going to apologize for the way we play."

Un. Real.

On penalties: Have to look at them individually. Presnap and mentals errors are unacceptable. Combative penalties depend on judgement and situations. "We're always going to err on the side of being more aggressive." Doesn't think focus and discipline are the problem. Won't apologize for the penalties.

First step to solving a problem:
-Define the problem.

MM has not got there yet.

So even then I am not sure MM had his head fully screwed on right. I am completely ticked off like others we had 2 HOF QB and failed to do more with them. Rodgers has his quirks but we gave the man crap on the OL and got him pounded and never really drafted a stud RB to take the pressure off him. Favre was never given enough skill guys or he would have done more as well.

The worst thing about this is no one upstairs was minding the store the past 2-3 seasons. Murphy and Gute fired Mike once they had no choice. Not before. Both were in the building the prior seasons.

For the record I fully support ML and his staff going forward. I think this year is a learning and change of culture year so I'll take whatever comes with a grain of salt because I think he'll need to purge some poo out the door after the season.

In year 3 I expect a well oiled ready to kick ass machine competing for a SB. tc(

Last edited:
Winning cures ills, but there’s something about the personalities here that makes this especially gossipy. New Orleans went 7-9 for three seasons in a row. Sure some people questioned if Brees was too old, but no one said he was a bad guy or a bad leader or that he was the reason the team was losing. No one came out airing Sean Peyton’s dirty laundry. The roster got bad so they lost, then it got better and they started to win. In GB even when the team was making a run to the NFCC two years ago, there were sewer fumes coming out of that locker room. TT’s lethargy plus the MM/AR relationship was poison.

Agree here part of a winning organization is blending personalities and that due diligence in the evaluation process.

Reactions: #66
I think if ML brings a new more pushing the edge offense to GB he will be willing to buy in for at least a couple years and give it a shot. If ML also shows he is willing to throw things out and add new things when they don't work that will help AR and other players to buy in and take that ML is serious about winning and that he's not forcing players to accept that his offense was perfect from day one.

I think if ML brings a new more pushing the edge offense to GB he will be willing to buy in for at least a couple years and give it a shot. If ML also shows he is willing to throw things out and add new things when they don't work that will help AR and other players to buy in and take that ML is serious about winning and that he's not forcing players to accept that his offense was perfect from day one.
Despite all the AR criticisms, like everybody he wants to win. I mean, come on, all of us fans could see that there was something wrong with the offense the last few years; issues with receivers getting open/running the right routes, o-line issues, etc. - he went about it wrong but he probably thinks he was doing what he could to win. I will be very surprised if AR doesn't buy into the new scheme - he'll learn it fast. But given AR's football IQ - I think ML will need to make sure he works closely with AR.

McCarthy: His system did not evolve and ran the team more as the CEO. It’s fine to delegate but his mind was closed adjustments.

sorry, but i think it was more a matter that he just wasn't bright enough to evolve. every time i think of mccarthy, this is the image that pops into my head:

iu

Despite all the AR criticisms, like everybody he wants to win. I mean, come on, all of us fans could see that there was something wrong with the offense the last few years; issues with receivers getting open/running the right routes, o-line issues, etc. - he went about it wrong but he probably thinks he was doing what he could to win. I will be very surprised if AR doesn't buy into the new scheme - he'll learn it fast. But given AR's football IQ - I think ML will need to make sure he works closely with AR.
But as the article mentions Arod was telling his WR in the huddle to run the wrong routes than what was called. He also clearly tanked this season with the ARI home game being about as blatant as you get IMHO...

I think Arod wants to win, but like a certain someone mentioned in an interview on the radio, he wants to win so he gets the credit, a slightly different approach than win for the team.

I'm with Mark, I'm excited to see what ML can do. And i think Murphy and Gute got enough of a wake up that they will no longer stand by and let diva's give the new HC a hard time. This is a new era for GB. Roster is bare, so they can now rebuild with a new scheme, new guys, and guys who are more in line with the modern NFL.

Interesting interview with King. Whether or not fans disagree with him doesn't really matter. I like his optimism for the future with Matt and Aaron.

Like I've said for quite some time, the offense McCarthy employed was a generic and basic WCO format that most teams had abandoned before he even became HC in GB. He lacked any creativity, and defenses were diagnosing plays before they were run. The "player personnel packages" that they used limited their options to the point that they might as well have told the defenses what was coming.

Back