What really happened in GB

sorry, but i think it was more a matter that he just wasn't bright enough to evolve. every time i think of mccarthy, this is the image that pops into my head:

iu
No he was stubborn thinking you could plug and play without adjusting. Big difference

No he was stubborn thinking you could plug and play without adjusting. Big difference
never saw any indication that mccarthy was capable of making any adjustments to his stale/worn out scheme. not one glimmer of creativity at any time during his tenure. and if we are to believe the tyler dunne story, he has a very low football iq.

But as the article mentions Arod was telling his WR in the huddle to run the wrong routes than what was called. He also clearly tanked this season with the ARI home game being about as blatant as you get IMHO...

I think Arod wants to win, but like a certain someone mentioned in an interview on the radio, he wants to win so he gets the credit, a slightly different approach than win for the team.

I'm with Mark, I'm excited to see what ML can do. And i think Murphy and Gute got enough of a wake up that they will no longer stand by and let diva's give the new HC a hard time. This is a new era for GB. Roster is bare, so they can now rebuild with a new scheme, new guys, and guys who are more in line with the modern NFL.
I call BS on this part. I really doubt that Rodgers was telling them to run wrong routes - you can believe what you want to because it plays to the narrative you want to believe but I find this really hard to believe. AND his team mates are now standing up for him and saying they never saw some of the things that were mentioned in the article. Again, don't get me wrong - I think AR made a lot of mistakes and didn't handle things well, especially last year - but I really have a hard time believing he was sabotaging things to that level.

never saw any indication that mccarthy was capable of making any adjustments to his stale/worn out scheme. not one glimmer of creativity at any time during his tenure. and if we are to believe the tyler dunne story, he has a very low football iq.
You don’t win 60% of your games and a SB with a low FB IQ in the NFL Was he the best coach in the league no. He had flaws yes. I am sure some players thought he did but i am willing to bet the ranch they are not football savants either

You don’t win 60% of your games and a SB with a low FB IQ in the NFL Was he the best coach in the league no. He had flaws yes. I am sure some players thought he did but i am willing to bet the ranch they are not football savants either

I think the wording of the statements is what's wrong. I don't think it should have been that Rodgers asked them to run the wrong routes, I think it should have read that he told them to run different routes. There's a huge difference there. One is showing intent to destroy the play, the other could have been based on his knowledge of what the defense was doing to cut off the normal routes.

Since we don't know if the plays he changed the routes were those that failed or succeeded, I'm going to say that they probably worked more than half the time, or we would have seen McCarthy reacting to them.

This is a delicate area. When I coached, I asked all our coaches to do everything they could to teach the QBs and all skill players on offense that there are times when you need to make subtle adjustments, and changes from what was called from the sideline, because they see what's immediately in front of them prior to the snap, and often due to personnel changes on defense that happen after the play was sent in, and it's too late to adjust from the sideline.

The only period of time that I saw real creativity with the offense was during the first go-round with Joe Philbin handling the nuts and bolts of how plays would unfold. He seemed to work with our QBs in a way that stuck to the McCarthy antiquated packages, yet created options, and wrinkles that our guys under center could use on the field to make a play succeed. When he left, so did that creativity.

None of this stuff really surprised me other than the massage stuff. You could read it all by MM and Aaron's body language. My gut agrees with the gist of the article which is that Rodgers is a different kinda guy and probably not the easiest guy to get along with, and that McCarthy checked out and was too stubborn to change. Per the usual with pieces like this however, the 100% truth likey lies somewhere down the middle.

None of this stuff really surprised me other than the massage stuff. You could read it all by MM and Aaron's body language. My gut agrees with the gist of the article which is that Rodgers is a different kinda guy and probably not the easiest guy to get along with, and that McCarthy checked out and was too stubborn to change. Per the usual with pieces like this however, the 100% truth likey lies somewhere down the middle.

I can't help think there were several things going on here: Rogers not having confidence in the plays, banged up right side of the line not being as effective later in the season, not trusting the intermediate route runners, Rogers own belief that he's really good at improvising outside the pocket. A lot of it (IMO) is poor schemes and the rest is a mix of banged up/second tier talent and Roger's own mindset. Rogers should own a part of the problem, but a smaller part, in my mind.

I also think Roger's previous injuries may have taken Mac off the hook. On that note, Hundley and Kizer's ineffectiveness played into the idea that you couldn't measure Mac as a result. Mac should have been sacked a couple of years ago, but TT and the board didn't act.

Ego's to often break up teams that could be dominate. Only place it never happened it seemed was NE were Brady and BB seem to know they need each other

I think the wording of the statements is what's wrong. I don't think it should have been that Rodgers asked them to run the wrong routes, I think it should have read that he told them to run different routes. There's a huge difference there. One is showing intent to destroy the play, the other could have been based on his knowledge of what the defense was doing to cut off the normal routes.

Since we don't know if the plays he changed the routes were those that failed or succeeded, I'm going to say that they probably worked more than half the time, or we would have seen McCarthy reacting to them.

This is a delicate area. When I coached, I asked all our coaches to do everything they could to teach the QBs and all skill players on offense that there are times when you need to make subtle adjustments, and changes from what was called from the sideline, because they see what's immediately in front of them prior to the snap, and often due to personnel changes on defense that happen after the play was sent in, and it's too late to adjust from the sideline.

The only period of time that I saw real creativity with the offense was during the first go-round with Joe Philbin handling the nuts and bolts of how plays would unfold. He seemed to work with our QBs in a way that stuck to the McCarthy antiquated packages, yet created options, and wrinkles that our guys under center could use on the field to make a play succeed. When he left, so did that creativity.
And that team had more talent at skilled positions and vets that made options much easier to execute. I get your point but I also remember one particular play last year that St Brown should have just sat down in zone for an easy catch but he continued with route and 12 missed and was not at all pleased. Part of McCarthy’s issue was not simplification of the system based on the talent out there. He thought it was plug and play.

And that team had more talent at skilled positions and vets that made options much easier to execute. I get your point but I also remember one particular play last year that St Brown should have just sat down in zone for an easy catch but he continued with route and 12 missed and was not at all pleased. Part of McCarthy’s issue was not simplification of the system based on the talent out there. He thought it was plug and play.

That's something I groused about all last year. Receivers who didn't look for open spots when a play went sour. They should be working back to the QB, and finding places in seams, where the QB can get them the ball. By and large, the majority of them were spectators, except for Davante Adams and Jake Kumerow. As a coach, it will drive you insane trying to get guys who can catch a ball to realize that even though they aren't the primary receiver or receivers on a play, that they need to work off the ball to draw defenders to them, or end up in sweet spots where they can suddenly become the target. Loafing off the snap, or running half a route, then lounging around..... will drive you nuts, as a coach. Especially if you have a QB who seems to enjoy working off the play after it's busted. Rodgers is that kind of a QB. That's also why Nelson was his guy. He knew he would be on the same page as Rodgers, and they'd connect often enough to make moving around behind the line of scrimmage worth while.

In all honesty, I don't think Rodgers would be nearly as good of a QB as he is if he couldn't move around and try to make plays. He just isn't the kind of guy who will settle in the pocket. Good or bad, it's all perspective.

Back