Thompson: "We value draft and development, we value free agency"

I wish you wouldn't leave it at that. Be interesting to know which top tier guys they represent.

:) Been gone for awhile. So how did things go for you? (can PM if you rather)

Regional combine was a blast, I felt like I had some good workout numbers. I don't have those with me anymore, though, my dad had them framed and they're up in his den.

Had a couple of drills where I felt like I didn't quite pass muster, but some of the guys running the show thought I should try a couple of other areas. I ended up getting calls from a handful teams, and I actually made visits out to two teams' facilities.

Damn legs, though. Can run a sub 4.4, but can't pass most physicals. Or at least my knees and ankle can't.

It was a great experience though, and I was going through team's camp rosters and saw a couple of guys who were at my combine make it as camp bodies. Nobody stuck, though.

Thanks for asking, hope you've been well since you've been gone.

So Travathan signed 4 years 26 Mill with 12 guaranteed and GB didn't even make an offer? Huh... that'd not a bad contract.​

So Travathan signed 4 years 26 Mill with 12 guaranteed and GB didn't even make an offer? Huh... that'd not a bad contract.​
I'm not gonna try to defend TT on this one. I also though Trev at <7M a pop was a bargain we should've snagged.

What I can try, is to understand why TT has operated like he did. Since I can't get inside his head, I'll try out different thesis:

a) GB evaluated and graded Trevathan differently than us fans and media - We all know teams' evaluations of prospects varies wildly. No way of knowing where was on our FA board, how our scouts saw him. Product of strong supporting cast? Past injury issues, perhaps? Something we don't see?

b) Long term plan - TT clearly hasn't gone to win-now-or-else -mode. Our 2017 UFA list is nasty, and TT may be budgeting cap carryover money for that. The common thing shared by Perry's, Guion's and Taylor's deals is that they are either literally or essentially 1-year deals with low guarantees, and it's team's option to keep 'em or get rid of 'em if we need more cap space next year. Oline is a real issue then, and I want Arod protected better, not worse. We'll surely draft OL, but what if they flop? And/or Datone and Lacy tear the league up? We may need the cash.

c) We have another plan in place for ILB - Only TT and the coaches know what that is. Maybe improved Ryan, Clay lining up at different spots (they said they "want to" move him to OLB full time, not that they "will"), Thomas in dime? Maybe TT sees the draft class differently from us or CBS? Maybe they do not value cover ILB as high as us and have a plan scheme-wise?

d) It was a mistake - TT didn't believe he'd be that cheap. Trev's agent failed to shop him to us. Trev's former coaches got him to take a sub-market deal. Kinda hard to believe, but everything's possible.

Ok look, you can all say whatever you want but the facts are that TT does not value top tier FA's. He never has and he never will. He has not gone after a top tier FA in the whole time he has been here. Why would he do so now?

As for all of you saying, oh maybe TT did reach out and try to get these free agents. That is bogus. Your're telling me in all the time he has been here if he was trying to get some FA's to fill in the areas of need, he would not have gotten one to commit to Green Bay? Of course he would have.

Consistency gentleman. That is what we have seen from Ted Thompson. Consistency of doing nothing until crap is left over in FA that nobody wants. This year is further proof that TT is cheap. He always has been and always will be. He does not like to take risks. I will say it for the 40 billionth time. We will not win another Super Bowl with TT at the helm. AR will leave in two or three years and play for another team and we will be in rebuilding mode. Hell, even the Head Coach is calling out this A-Hole.

stupid)

Will I always be optimistic every season? Absolutely. But I am not going to hold my breath that this team wins a title in the next two or three years with TT at the helm.

Ok let me try this again
Did Ted Thompson ever go after a Tier 1 FA? Yes Chris Canty. Was he offered yes did he visit no. And there were others the team enquired about. Now to how deep those discussions went who knows. To say it's bogus that nobody was ever contacted is unfounded.

Here are the 2 issues that factor in more than anything.
#1. How the team budgets. It's a cash out vs cap space philosophy. Always having carry over cap and never push money forward. It is what it is. Conservative. Signing bonus will always be reasonable. Not over the top. That philosophy alone takes you out of 80% of tier 1 signings
#2. The issues that many fans are still in denial about. GB is not a premeir destination for many players especially ones cashing in on second contracts. It's night and day better than the 70-80s era
But it's still an issue. It exists. Thompson can contact 10 Tier 1 guys but if they have no interest it's a moot point. To many GB and Wisconsin is an amazing place to live. It's still Siberia to some. To some it's still about money and lifestyle. Yes more than winning

This organization will never overpay for a FA. That's not just Ted Thompson. It's about the organization. It's cash flow. Money in reserve. Again back to budget philosophy.

Back