This loss belongs to the coaching staff, not the quarterback

McCarthy might get a pass on a poor season. They could blame it on Rodgers injury. Yet, the Board of Directors, and everyone in the front office should be very aware that one man should not be what defines an entire football team.

They just might begin to realize that McCarthy is wasting the career of one of the best QBs who ever played the game. We just don't know what goes on inside the board room.
Honestly, the Seattle game should have screamed that at them. So should all the failed defensive draft picks that were taken so high in the draft. Or not addressing the defensive Achilles heel since the SB 7 years ago. Or the constant unawareness of where the clock is. Or throwing the challenge flag for plays that are not challengeable. Or never making adjustments when someting is not working. Or an apparent unwillingness to adjust training regimens when the current clearly are not working. Or......Or......Or.....etc....

TW, if you were on the BOD and saw this a mile away, you have to convince all the other members too before moves are made. I just don't have great faith in the BOD anymore. It works for most businesses, but the NFL is a different animal....imo, of course.

Last edited:
McCarthy might get a pass on a poor season. They could blame it on Rodgers injury. Yet, the Board of Directors, and everyone in the front office should be very aware that one man should not be what defines an entire football team.

They just might begin to realize that McCarthy is wasting the career of one of the best QBs who ever played the game. We just don't know what goes on inside the board room.

I keep saying this and you keep sidestepping the fact.... the coffers are full and so are the stands. They just have no incentive to make a big staff move. Now you..me and 2000 others can run down Lombardi Ave screaming for MM head but in the end $$$ talks and @$%%% walks.( Not that I like this fact but it is what it is)

As for the "wasting Arod's career " he's in his mid 30's and just suffered a significant injury. What happens if his best FB is now behind him ? That thought has to be in round table discussion behind the scenes.

I keep saying this and you keep sidestepping the fact.... the coffers are full and so are the stands. They just have no incentive to make a big staff move. Now you..me and 2000 others can run down Lombardi Ave screaming for MM head but in the end $$$ talks and @$%%% walks.( Not that I like this fact but it is what it is)

As for the "wasting Arod's career " he's in his mid 30's and just suffered a significant injury. What happens if his best FB is now behind him ? That thought has to be in round table discussion behind the scenes.

That discussion should be, but I doubt it.

The NFL has changed. Part of how Goodell has ruined the league. He's found ways for teams to make money even when they suck. So there is no reason to go out and make changes that will cost $$. Ticket sales are becoming an ever decreasing % of the overall pot. And in GB fans fill the stadium even when they stink. Until people stop buying merch, stop visiting Lambeau, avoid the new Title Town District, stop watching so ratings tank and sponsors take notice, etc.... No changes needed. The focus of today's NFL is not winning the Lombardi anymore. It's the profit margin. And that's part of the reason that the overall product is tanking.

I'm hoping some day the fans revolt and sponsors start demanding better play. But still a long way to go to get to that point.

I don't think any of you are wrong. Everything you say makes sense. But, I do know there are members of the Board of Directors who would not go along with the Packers falling into a funk like they did in the 70s & 80s. They know that if it's allowed, the cash cows they are now milking will disappear so fast that the franchise could actually be in a bind. All the building and transactions outside the lines of the game are so enormous that it's going to take a total continuation of fan participation to make it all work. If that slows even 10%, the entire empire is in trouble. They are going to be leveraged to the point that they would be in dire straits. A poor team has a dramatic effect on the traffic into Packerland the entire year, not just on game days.

Murphy is a football man. He played it He knows the game. He knows good product and bad product. Al Toon is on the board, but not the Executive Committee. He knows the game as well, playing in the NFL. Quite a few members of the board and a few of the executive committee remember where we were, and how we got there. It's not going to happen again, and they know the only way you stop it from happening is by having a quality product on the field. They will not put themselves in jeopardy through complacency. Someone has to pay for the new events, and hotel space the Packers are investing in, and it has to be year round, not just on game day.

I've talked to a few members of the board. I won't say if they're from executive, board, or emeritus. To a man, they all said that they "will never" allow this franchise to go down the road it did for twenty years, and each one of them stated that they knew they would not be wanting for support from shareholders who would react to what they say. I can attest to the fact that I would actively work with them to enact changes if it was needed.

As far as leadership, Mark Murphy is not beholding to Thompson or McCarthy. They aren't his men. They weren't his hire. Bob Harlan hired Thompson, and Thompson hired McCarthy. His whole focus is the franchise, and they are just two people involved in the infrastructure, and not above reproach.

This year is a turning point for McCarthy. He either shows up as the coach he seems to think he is, or he ends up with a team floundering, and trying to find a way to win. He won't be able to hold Capers up as the fall guy. That ship has sailed, after years of his failures to provide a defense at the most crucial times of the season. He won't be able to hide behind injuries, because the whole level of coaching ability is going to be tested against weak, and average teams.

Will he, and/or Thompson be fired after this year? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is certain. If Rodgers returns next year, and they can't go all the way to the NFC Championship game, at least McCarthy will be let go, and that means an entirely new coaching staff. Will Thompson choose the new coach? Probably not. He'd probably then choose to retire.

Just my thoughts. Here's the entire board, if anyone is interested.

Packers Board of Directors

After all MM talk that Hundley is their guy and getting mad at reporters for asking about Kaepernick report out the Packers tried to sign Brian Hoyer.

After all MM talk that Hundley is their guy and getting mad at reporters for asking about Kaepernick report out the Packers tried to sign Brian Hoyer.

Hundley could still be their guy. Remember Callahan is behind Hundley. So we really need a back up for when Hundley gets killed.

Back