This loss belongs to the coaching staff, not the quarterback

While some of what you are saying is 100% accurate, I don't think McCarthy hamstrung Hundley at all. Hundley had zero vision in the game. He never looked for a receiver beyond 5 yards unless it was a couple of the deep balls. He was feeling pressure that wasn't even there at times and instead of stepping up into the protection and releasing the ball he tucked and ran. Even on designed roll outs he just flat out threw the ball away rather than give his receiver a chance. I put plenty of blame on Hundley for the offensive performance. The defense is a whole different matter. We have pro-bowl caliber players playing right now. Matthews, Perry, Daniels, Clark, Martinez and Jones are all playing high quality football. Do we think they are just taking plays off at times or are they given bad defensive calls?

I don't think Hundley is capable of running the Packers offense either. He's not that good. Of course, I don't think there's anyone in the NFL that can run it the way Rodgers does, or even close to how good he does.

What I fault McCarthy for is not finding ways to use those facets of the game that Hundley does well, and develop those into the game plan in a way that creates more passing opportunities. That said, I saw it too. Hundley was content to try to complete 5 yard passes because he lacked the vision to see his receivers come open as plays developed. Apparently he hadn't watched guys like Nelson and Cobb in game conditions. He failed to hit them play after play, because he looked off them to a "safer throw," which really wasn't there.

FYI, what was funny is Capers went into a 4-3 heavy look when they ran and NO adjusted into a pass offense. We adjusted into pass and they ran. After awhile it was evident that the box upstairs for NO had Capers scheme pegged. Hey Dom playing cover 2 on third and goal with 10 guys on the 2... get's them 6 every time.

bh( rant)csr(

One of the players - think it was Martínez or Clark - said as much. Said by the end of the game they were guessing on D, had no idea if run or pass was coming so had no shot.

Eyecatcher, you stole my thunder... I was just coming on to post that today would be a fine day to fire Capers. Given what we've got, let's use the rest of the year to provide a new Defensive Coordinator real game time to develop, implement and tweak a new defensive scheme. I've seen High School football defenses better organized. Allowed 485 total yards to a sloppy Saints team, only 2 punts, The HHCD play, ten men on the field again, wasted time-outs, gave up at the end, trying to get aligned in time... I do not get why Capers has a job.

Sadly why waste your breath? After the abysmal defensive play in the 2014 NFC championship, I jumped on the fire Capers train. If that mess didn't get him fired this sure won't.

I think this loss is on all the coaches. In particular MM and Capers. I don't think MM let Hundley play and he makes it sound like Hundley doesn't know what to do. I think MM said something about Hundley wanted to play and we had to reign him in. sh)) Let the kid play to his strengths.

I was pleasantly surprised in the first half at the defensive play...in particular the turnovers. Neither time when the offense got the ball back, did they do anything with it. If MM believes in Hundley enough to let him start then let him play to his strengths. I don't know what the game plan was in the 2nd half for the offense or the defense, but it was podo(.

Last edited:
Love reading McGinn, he doesn't sugarcoat anything.. Calls a spade a spade..

I can just hear the crying in the front office right now over this article.... :D

As to the quote Mark referenced...

o_O wait what? You tried to gaurd against Hundley making big plays with his feet when that's one of his strengths???

It's hard to even tell what McCarthy is saying. He gets blathering on and it becomes nonsensical.

The sad thing for fans is nothing will ever change as long as TT and MM are around. I really think the only reason TT doesn't leave is because the new GM might very well bring in his own coach. TT and MM are connected at the hip and TT doesn't mind carrying MM's load.

Bingo. I'm tired of coaching staff and I don't really trust TT to get the playmakers needed. Can't wait to see the final draft order and then watch TT draft late round picks in the early rounds. No faith in TT or the coaching staff anymore.

I think we do have defensive talent. I just think Capers scheme makes players think instead of act. I've seen the DBs quoted as saying Randall has the most talent at CB, but it doesn't seem to be getting developed. HaHa seems to have regressed. Jones and Clark have shown a little sumpin'-sumpin', Martinez is playing possessed out there. But defensive calls on third down just effin' kill us. It's like watching the other team run practice.

It just has never fit very well that MM and Capers need experienced vets to run their alleged 'complex schemes', but the Packers are committed to draft and develop....so we are usually one of the youngest teams in the league?!?! It's never been a happy marriage between the two philosophies and without ARod the lack of coaching is glaring us right in the face.

My wish......Joe Philbin returns as OC and Capers steps aside and Mike Trgovac moves into the DC spot with every defensive coach put on notice NOW. We need to change the attitude of the defense and Trg might provide more energy than Capers seems to instill. (IMO Capers would have neutered Reggie White. Would have had him thinking about lane responsibilities instead of being the best DL ever!)

Capers scheme makes players think instead of act

Was it the Super Bowl year that the story came out that Hawk and Woodson went to Capers and told him the defense needed to be simpler to help all the guys replacing the Mass casualties we had that season?

There was a heck of a lot of looking around and trying to get set up on defense yesterday. Much more than you'd expect to see from the pros.

I don't know what they're trying to do out there sometimes. I played college ball on a team not known for defense, but it was still simple: get the call, read your keys, react-go where you're supposed to go. Maybe Dom is asking them to key off on too many things, or the players on the back end have too many responses to their keys, so they lose a beat thinking through what they're supposed to do.

I don't know, but it's disheartening.

You posters who think anybody is going to be held accountable are adorable. MM should have been released after the Seattle debacle. It was painfully obvious the guy coaches not to lose and that will kill you in the NFL.

As for Ted, how long you going to give a guy to build a great defense??? Look how quick Dorsey did it in KC and Schneider did it in Seattle. It's been the team's Achilles heal for 7 years and counting. Yet Murphy wants Ted to stay until he's 112. Nobody is EVER held accountable at 1265. Sorry, folks. Same ol', same ol'!

Aaron being hurt will show what we really have left in our Green Bay Packers. Not pretty so far...

I saw a really nice breakdown of plays from Hundley showing there were plays to be made. He had time to make them and either made the wrong read, released the ball to late or just plain missed the open receiver. You can blame whoever you want but Hundley needs to shoulder a big part of the blame for the passing game ineptitude. I don't think he can't improve enough to win some games and still think he can play them to .500 ball. It looks to me like an inexperience and confidence thing. He hasn't played in a real game situation since college. The preseason stuff is against vanilla defenses.

You posters who think anybody is going to be held accountable are adorable. MM should have been released after the Seattle debacle. It was painfully obvious the guy coaches not to lose and that will kill you in the NFL.

As for Ted, how long you going to give a guy to build a great defense??? Look how quick Dorsey did it in KC and Schneider did it in Seattle. It's been the team's Achilles heal for 7 years and counting. Yet Murphy wants Ted to stay until he's 112. Nobody is EVER held accountable at 1265. Sorry, folks. Same ol', same ol'!

Aaron being hurt will show what we really have left in our Green Bay Packers. Not pretty so far...
TT could hit every defensive pick just right and Capers and company will screw that kid into the ground. The rookies come in and flash a little then begin the long spiral to regression. Capers doesn't USE talent, doesn't turn talent loose. He chains it up in the meeting room, makes defense too complicated until they forget to even hit ball carriers. It wasn't some magic wand Dorsey and Schneider waved, they just drafted talent that was then COACHED up into an adhesive group where players were allowed to turn their talent loose. Look at the last game again- nobody knows what the hell is going on out there! IMO we are still trying to play a 3-4 with personnel that looks more like it should be a 4-3. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. Capers will just throw a gimmick defense out there anyway. NITRO my a**! Hit somebody!

Back