The Khalil Mack Farce

Danno posted Pettine's comments:

“It starts up front. If you want to defend the pass in the NFL, people talk about the exterior pass rush, I think the interior pass rush is as important or maybe potentially more important.”

“If I’m on offense, it’s a lot easier to handle guys off the edges via formation, or chipping or doubles. Whereas inside, one guy, maybe two they’re getting one-on-ones. Those guys have to win. If you can be dominant inside, that just has a ripple effect throughout your defense.”

I agree with that concept. An interior pass rush forces QBs to do what doesn't come natural to the passing game. It throws of the rhythm between the QB and receiver, and forces early throws. The QB is much more prone to INTs at that point.

It also creates concerns about the outside pass rush, because you need to concentrate bodies up the middle, and can't help chip block on outside rushes, or even pick up a safety or CB blitz. Just not enough people, especially if the RB is motioned out of the backfield, or needed to help plug the middle.

What I'd like to see is someone who can "anchor" the middle against the run, and still have the speed and agility to push the interior line back, to create movement out of the QBs to throw their timing off. One of the beautiful plays in football is when a defensive line tees off on the offensive line and drives them 5-10 yards deep, dumping the QB in the process, or flushing him out into open ground where he's fair game.

Another thought about Mack going to the Bears. Obviously I didn't want to see him on a division rival, but that's actually about best case scenario. He's got plenty of power, but the last place I want to see an explosive rip-and-dip rusher like Mack is on a fast track like Minnesota or Detroit. The turf at Lambeau slows down speed rushers. Soldier field is an abomination as the year goes on. One small consolation or consideration for how we play him.

Back