The Khalil Mack Farce

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
So enough is enough, trading the farm for this guy isn't the key to our next super bowl. He's expensive and overrated. He is not the next Reggie White...this isn't 1996 and we are not playing the same kind of football.

Can we please stop and actually use our draft picks to build a monster team rather than getting a hard-on for every player that rumors to come available? To finish... his deal is going to get done now that all the others are on the table... it's not happening folks, it's just not.

End rant

Making a play for Mack would likely hamstring the Packers ability to keep up an coming players like Martinez/Clark and also core players coming do soon like Daniels/Bakhtiari. And if Wilkerson plays well this year, he’d be gone too.
I agree. Not realistic.

Yep cheaper options to get than Mack but Packer fans are foolish and they get big name itias and lock in on that guy

So enough is enough, trading the farm for this guy isn't the key to our next super bowl. He's expensive and overrated. He is not the next Reggie White...this isn't 1996 and we are not playing the same kind of football.

Can we please stop and actually use our draft picks to build a monster team rather than getting a hard-on for every player that rumors to come available? To finish... his deal is going to get done now that all the others are on the table... it's not happening folks, it's just not.

End rant

Every year we go through this scenario with the Packers. I think a lot of it has to do with how tight-lipped they are about their personnel decisions. It fuels speculation, and when one person says; "What if....????", it becomes something that takes on a life of its own. You build teams through the draft, and add a key FA when it's necessary, but you have to be careful doing it. The person needs to be someone who will bring extraordinary help to the team. We saw that with Charles Woodson, and we could be seeing it now with Graham. Special needs filled because you can't fill them all, when there are many, with a draft.

As it stands, the Rodgers extension is going to eat the hell out of cap room, and it's going to be very difficult freeing up money to improve anything through free agency. The best we can do is fill holes, at a less than star quality level.

agree with everything said except he isn't overrated. hes a hell of a football player. I would never call him Reggie White (I wouldn't call any player Reggie White except 1) but hes a true blue in this league. There are many different opinions on blues but mine is a top 3 at your position. He is. Watch him play hes a force. He also doesn't miss games due to injury. Overrated.. hardly. Becoming a packer or the silly talk about it, yea please continue the rant haha.

Trade compensation isn't the issue, it's contract. Also, I cannot fathom how the Raiders sign Jon Gruden to a $100m deal and then get rid of his best player. That would make absolutely no sense.

Compensation and contract are both issues.

If you want to, you can make the contract fit. Heck, Mack plays this year on his current deal and you extend him by dumping CM3 and Cobb next spring leaving you with enough for Mack. The problem of course is that it hamstrings you going forward. CAP space would be tight for the life of Mack's deal. You'd have to choose to pass on re-signing guys like HHCD, Daniels, Crosby, etc. and go with young guys at those and other positions.

For me the compensation is almost worse. I might actually be OK with dealing our 2 firsts in next year's draft but I don't think that would get it done. That's where things would get crazy in terms of not allowing you to rebuild the roster. Face it, if a top pass rusher was available next spring and the Packers traded their 2 picks to get into the top-10 and grab a premier pass rusher most people would be OK with it. Doing it now just gets you that guy earlier. The thing is, I just don't see Oakland doing it and I don't want to give up any more than that.

On both fronts, I'm not sure it would make sense.

Mack is an explosive pass rusher, however after watching a ton of stuff tonight I'll tend to agree with Mark. He's not a dominating enough player that you would throw 2 draft choices at. He really doesn't take over a game and just make his mark.( If he did the Raiders would have had a better record)

To me this team has a few more holes to fill. Might be time to reel in the cards pick your 53 and go with it. Just my opinion.

Back