The Khalil Mack Farce

Who on earth are they going to draft at the end of the round that would have anywhere near the impact Mack would have had?? If that’s what kept them from making the deal, then this one feels a little Ted Thompson-esque.

I understand the Bears threw in a 3rd and 6th as well. They gave up a LOT. I think it has to be more than just not being willing to give up 2 firsts. There was more. Gute is too on top of it and too aggressive to let that stop him.

However, I do wish the Packers had the Bears LB corp. We are nowhere near them in that department. Ted ignored it and went late picks way too long. LB is critical in a 3-4. That was beyond foolish, imo.

Yes, TT left us in a real bad position there. The Bears have been drafting top 10 for a while now. They used 2 of their past 3 top 10 picks on LB/edge and now traded two more firsts for a top 3 pick at edge. GB can't do that overnight. Hell, they can't do it in 2 off-seasons either. Even today you can see they are churning the ILB position, trying to hold it together and improve it with spit and duct tape but it is what it is.

As for Mack, i would've been fine with them sending our two firsts for Mack but the issue is and always was cash flow in light of the Rodgers deal. You're talking about the small market team with a savings account shelling out $120m in cash to two players over the next 12 months. That's just not the way they operate.

What should be interesting was the Packers were willing to spend big time on both Rodgers and Mack had Raiders agreed to a trade with GB

What should be interesting was the Packers were willing to spend big time on both Rodgers and Mack had Raiders agreed to a trade with GB
That’s hard to say. Unless Ball and Gute were in touch the Segal how would they have known on $$$. Only way of knowning if / when teams were given permission to negotiate terms.

That’s hard to say. Unless Ball and Gute were in touch the Segal how would they have known on $$$. Only way of knowning if / when teams were given permission to negotiate terms.
But you don't go wanting to trade for Mack to keep him only 1 year so you are willing to trade for him means you are willing to pay up.

If the Packers had did trade for Mack and gave him same contract here is what you are looking like for cap numbers for Rodgers and Mack

Cash paid by March 2019 $125 million dollars

2018: Cap number: $34.7
Rodgers $20.9
Mack $13.8

2019: Cap number: $48.8
Rodgers $26.5
Mack $22.3

2020: Cap number: $56.6
Rodgers $32.6
Mack $24

2021: Cap number: $57.5
Rodgers $33.5
Mack $24

2022: Cap number: $61.55
Rodgers $37
Mack $24.55

2023: Cap number: $47.9
Rodgers $25
Mack: $22.9

2024: Cap number: $23.25
Rodgers UFA
Mack $23.25

As we see not only is the cash payout over the first 6 months something that could break the bank on the Packers over 2019-2023 is a huge percent of the cap for 2 players.

But you don't go wanting to trade for Mack to keep him only 1 year so you are willing to trade for him means you are willing to pay up.
You don’t make the trade until you agree on an extension. From what I understand Chicago had permission from Oakland to see if you can agree on terms. One dictates the other.

The Bears had more value to offer than the Packers to make the trade. It's that simple.
i'm not sure i agree with that. da bears offered a 1st in 2019 and a first in 2020. the packers could have offered two firsts in 2019. which has more value? i think the immediacy of two first round picks in 2019 would win out.

i'm not sure i agree with that. da bears offered a 1st in 2019 and a first in 2020. the packers could have offered two firsts in 2019. which has more value? i think the immediacy of two first round picks in 2019 would win out.
Nah If I am thinking that I am getting two picks in the low 20s I would pass every day if it means taking one of those picks a year later and getting it in the teen's

Nah If I am thinking that I am getting two picks in the low 20s I would pass every day if it means taking one of those picks a year later and getting it in the teen's

and i honestly don't believe there's that much difference once you get past the top ten picks. the next 20-25 guys are all pretty similar grades usually.

Back