Rodgers Wants Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you trade or cut rodgers, bakh and z smith, you have totally cleared up the cap issues. there are other ways to get under the cap too that involve cutting/trading/extending more players. packers are not going into a full rebuild, they are just doing a refresh. but don't expect the winning % to stay the same. we will be lucky to get a wildcard spot for the next few years.
Love will be ready. Aaron has played well this year, but our key to winning is Matt's offense, not Aaron Rodgers per se. And btw, Aaron's not always running the offense. I'd say lately he's doing what he's supposed to do is up to maybe 70% on and 30% off.

There's game tape from this season where it's like flipping a switch. Suddenly we're moving the ball again.

100% Means the end of Rodgers in GB, Not mathematically possible to keep both. For the "they'll find a way " crowd... doing so means you cut or trade Jaire...Bahk... both Smiths... and at LEAST half a dozen other top players.

Going back to the Favre/Sharpe and no one days isn't fun.... been there done that. IF they try it then ALL OF THEM ML, Gute and Murphy should be fired.
Tagging Adams requires the absolute most hemorrhaging of contracts of any available scenario, because you can't trade Rodgers' contract until the new league year, you have to tag a player before the new league year, and you have to be in cap compliance at the start of the new league year. If this is truly the plan, the roster next year will be difficult to recognize.

That said, I WANT to tag Adams and give him a year with our 2-3 new rookies we will add to the position, teach them how to play the position right. I'd like to keep him longer-term, but at the price he commands, I'm not sure that will happen.

Tagging Adams requires the absolute most hemorrhaging of contracts of any available scenario, because you can't trade Rodgers' contract until the new league year, you have to tag a player before the new league year, and you have to be in cap compliance at the start of the new league year. If this is truly the plan, the roster next year will be difficult to recognize.

That said, I WANT to tag Adams and give him a year with our 2-3 new rookies we will add to the position, teach them how to play the position right. I'd like to keep him longer-term, but at the price he commands, I'm not sure that will happen.
Makes you wonder if Gute has considered the one year rebuild, should Rodgers decline the contract offer which is on the table.

In that scenario Gute may recognize we aren't winning the SB next year so cutting the likes of Z, Preston, Lowry etc is no great loss if it means being able to trade Adams and Rodgers and picking top 10 in each round in 2023's excellent draft class.

Makes you wonder if Gute has considered the one year rebuild, should Rodgers decline the contract offer which is on the table.

In that scenario Gute may recognize we aren't winning the SB next year so cutting the likes of Z, Preston, Lowry etc is no great loss if it means being able to trade Adams and Rodgers and picking top 10 in each round in 2023's excellent draft class.
I don't think they would tag Adams to trade Adams. I think they would tag Adams to keep Adams, if only for a year. Or maybe until the cap is more tenable to giving him the deal he wants. Adams would NOT be happy about the tag, from everything I've seen/heard him say, though, so I'm not sure how well/poorly that would play out.

But yes, I think the 1-year rebuild is on the table. Take our medicine for going all-in this year, stockpile the Rodgers draft picks, retain our young core, and build from there.

I'm concerned it might hollow out our middle class of low-cost veterans who provide locker room and leadership presences, but hopefully we'd continue to find bargain gems like Campbell and Rasul to fill those gaps.

I will say, if we plan to tag Adams, don't expect deals to be reached for guys like Rasul and Campbell prior to letting them test free agency--and that could even apply to guys like Tonyan. We simply won't have the space to sign them before the Rodgers trade; though we may reach agreements in principle and simply not execute them until day 2 of free agency if we have a Rodgers trade worked out. That's if we're moving on from Rodgers and tagging Adams, which is just one of many many possible outcomes.

Honestly it could be a very fun offseason of speculation and rancor and possibilities.

IMO let Adams and Rodgers walk. You want to get better faster more important to reach long term deals with Alexander, Jenkins, Campbell and keep Douglas. Also probably want to keep MVS.

Good organizations don’t rebuild and as much as Gute has his issues the organization is not NYJ or Jax or 25 other FO’s.

There is still talent on defense with Alexander, Clark, Stokes has shown flashes. On offense you have Dillion & Jones, the OL is more than adequate and it’s NFL so it’s more a reload than rebuild

Random thought:

Is it possible that Rodgers restructured his contract in such a way that it gives him (1) the control of his future that he wanted, and (2) prevents GB from placing the Franchise Tag on his BFF Davante Adams??

Could he possibly be that much of a big picture visionary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back