Restricted Free Agency: How Much for Tonyan?

If we did lose Tonyan, and got something like the 15th pick, it would be a great catch for the Packers. They could even package the two first rounders and move up, or they could trade out of the first round at 15, and gain a ton of bodies they're probably going to need to fill the roster. It appears FAs are not going to be an option for the Pack, and this point.

If we were able to keep Tonyan with that 1st offer, they could also go to work on negotiating a formidable longer term contract for him to reduce the first year hit on the cap. It's a win-win situation if you ask me.

If we did lose Tonyan, and got something like the 15th pick, it would be a great catch for the Packers. They could even package the two first rounders and move up, or they could trade out of the first round at 15, and gain a ton of bodies they're probably going to need to fill the roster. It appears FAs are not going to be an option for the Pack, and this point.

If we were able to keep Tonyan with that 1st offer, they could also go to work on negotiating a formidable longer term contract for him to reduce the first year hit on the cap. It's a win-win situation if you ask me.
i like your thinking on this. but if we get a top 15 pick for tonyan, it would be really hard for me to pass on that.

i think if your objective is to get a draft pick, you should use the 2nd round tender. but if your objective is to keep tonyan, you should use the 1st round tender. i just can't see any team giving up a first round pick - especially a team in the first half of the first round. but as pack likes to say, "it only takes one".

I did a little digging into “potential” TE needy teams and came up with four teams that could possibly throw contract at Tonyan which GB would likely not match.

1. Titans: $14M in cap space. Lost Jonny Smith to NE. TE is a big need right now.
2. Charger: $27M in cap space. Lost Hunter Henry to NE. Recently signed 33 yr old Jared Cook with little on roster behind Cook. Pretty big need for long term.
3. Colts: $35M in cap space. Tre Burton and Jack Doyle on roster, but could look to upgrade. Wentz would love to have a new “Zach Ertz” to throw to. Problem is they already gave their 1st to get Wentz. So giving up their 2nd as well might be asking too much.
4. Panthers: $31M in cap space. They lost Manhertz in FA. Still have Ian Thomas and recently signed FA TE Dan Arnold. TE still a decent size need.

I did a little digging into “potential” TE needy teams and came up with four teams that could possibly throw contract at Tonyan which GB would likely not match.

1. Titans: $14M in cap space. Lost Jonny Smith to NE. TE is a big need right now.
2. Charger: $27M in cap space. Lost Hunter Henry to NE. Recently signed 33 yr old Jared Cook with little on roster behind Cook. Pretty big need for long term.
3. Colts: $35M in cap space. Tre Burton and Jack Doyle on roster, but could look to upgrade. Wentz would love to have a new “Zach Ertz” to throw to. Problem is they already gave their 1st to get Wentz. So giving up their 2nd as well might be asking too much.
4. Panthers: $31M in cap space. They lost Manhertz in FA. Still have Ian Thomas and recently signed FA TE Dan Arnold. TE still a decent size need.
If a team wants to over pay for Tonyan go ahead I will take that 2nd round pick.

i thought the old saying was "book him danno"

I might be the youngest guy here, but...

CaptainAmerica1_zps8c295f96.JPG

Teams have until 4/23 to sign a tendered player to an offer sheet.

After that a tendered player can only sign with the team that has tendered them.

If anyone is going to tender Tonyan it will be just before the deadline so GB doesn’t have any time to do any cap gymnastics to match an offer.

Back