Report: Packers safety Josh Jones skipping OTAs, seeks trade

No.
Quick reminder this is Josh Jones not to be confused with Ronnie Lott or Earl Thomas. What really surprises me is we have 2 pages on this topic for a guy who was 90% sure to be cut anyway .....
I don't know if he was going to be cut. I think he still held value as a backup. Right now after Jones backup safety is Raven Greene, Tray Matthews, Mike Tyson, and perhaps moving Tramon Williams back to safety. So right now keeping Jones as a backup might be in the better interests of the Packers then cutting him because he does not want to be a backup.

he's never going to be anything more than a backup on any team. that's where i think his agent is steering him wrong.

he's never going to be anything more than a backup on any team. that's where i think his agent is steering him wrong.

and depending on fit, system or roster that could change and we are assuming Rosenhaus is driving this bus

I don't know if he was going to be cut. I think he still held value as a backup. Right now after Jones backup safety is Raven Greene, Tray Matthews, Mike Tyson, and perhaps moving Tramon Williams back to safety. So right now keeping Jones as a backup might be in the better interests of the Packers then cutting him because he does not want to be a backup.

Yes valid point but also there is the chance that he has been told his chances are slim in GB. Yes those conversation happen

Yes valid point but also there is the chance that he has been told his chances are slim in GB. Yes those conversation happen
The issue here is that he's had a couple of years to show his talent, and he's failed - causing the Packers to move on and reload at his position. I get that if he feels he's ultimately going to get cut, that he would prefer it now so he has more time to find a new team. Maybe another team picks him up, but from what he has shown there's no way he's moving directly into a starting job which it sounds like he wants - the grass isn't always greener on the other side but I'm sure he thinks it is. He's an "adequate" backup at best, and really in no position to make any demands. It would be perfectly within the Packers rights to keep him on during training camp as a "camp body" and then cut him (given their original investment in him).

If the Packers do get rid of Jones would like to see a veteran safety brought in perhaps Tre Boston or Jon Cyprien on 1 year deal. This team has really crappy depth and guys right now in Tyson, Matthews, Greene who you hope never play but would have to if a injury happens

i'm thinking there's probably good reasons why those veteran safeties are still unsigned.

If the Packers do get rid of Jones would like to see a veteran safety brought in perhaps Tre Boston or Jon Cyprien on 1 year deal. This team has really crappy depth and guys right now in Tyson, Matthews, Greene who you hope never play but would have to if a injury happens
Adding crappy vet depth isn't the answer..... hasn't worked in the past won't work now. We were never going to get everything back to square 1 in one draft cycle anyway.

Back