Post Game Thread : Vikings Take The North 20-13 over GB

Its a crime that Abberderis and Janis can't get on the field. But McCarthy just refuses to adjust. If TT isn't going to give up a 5th or 6th rounder for a difference maker in the form of a WR or TE then you have to find guys on your roster who can get open. I don't care if Aaron Rodgers doesn't "completely trust" Janis or if Abby drops the occasional ball. James Jones and Davante Adams aren't getting open. Week after week. Yet McCarthy refuses to even attempt to get his other receivers involved.

I've been in the "hopefully the offense can click come playoff time" camp all year, but I have no faith right now. And I've been done with McCarthy for years. Hopefully we somehow string together a few decent offensive performances and the defense keeps playing the way they're playing and we get to the Super Bowl. If not, I hope somebody has the stones to can McCarthy and give prime Aaron Rodgers a shot with another staff. If Aaron Rodgers ends up with only one ring (and two total between 30+ years of Favre/Rodgers), this era should be viewed as a colossal failure. Yes, Packers fans are spoiled. Yes, the whole "Championship or Bust" attitude is unfair. But when you have 30+ years with two first ballot Hall of Famers at the most important position in sports, expectations should be sky high.

Here's the thing. MM has his offense won't change it. WR are clearly suffering due to lack of dedicated WR coach. Adams Abbey and Janis clearly are behind in learning offense. They don't trust themselves with complexity hence bad tentative routes that come across as lazy. AR doesn't trust the WR ant more than they trust themselves. Hence AR problems with accuracy etc. ..

AR talking about them doing better when MM finally late in game opens it up for WR to just get open and let AR find them.
Recipe for disaster ... MM insists on offense WR can't handle ... I'm with AR on this ... MM has sabotaged his own offense.​

We'll obviously learn a lot next week as this season reminds me quite a bit of 2004.

For those of you that don't remember we started 1-4 and then won a bunch of games on last second Longwell FG's. Took that miracle game with the Cardinals to get us the last playoff slot. Randy Moss and Minny then smoked us in round one. We just weren't a strong team despite finishing 10-6 and making the playoffs.

That was a tired team whose Ron Wolf stocked talent was running out. They cratered in 2005. Wasn't until Ted got his feet on the ground in 05 and replaced Sherman in 06 that things started to turn back.

I sort of feel like we are in the same situation right now.

thumbsup

Defense - Did what they could. Offense hung them out to dry.

Crosby - Good hustle on the strip/sack.

thumbsdown))

Rodgers - Take the delay. And throw better. Also, probably better to throw deep instead of short on the fake spike.

McCarthy - I hate the TE screen.

Masthay - Twenty two yard punt.

thumbsup

Defense - Did what they could. Offense hung them out to dry.

Crosby - Good hustle on the strip/sack.

thumbsdown))

Rodgers - Take the delay. And throw better. Also, probably better to throw deep instead of short on the fake spike.

McCarthy - I hate the TE screen.

Masthay - Twenty two yard punt.

Mine:
thumbsdown))

Rodgers INT into the endzone. What an awful throw. As Collinsworth noted... Rodgers had about 7 to 8 yards to the outside of JJones for a TD... and threw it inside right to the DB. That was horrendous.

Rodgers for calling the TO on 4th down just ahead of the 2 min warning. The timeout is so much more valuable than the 5 yards. Eat the yards... use your brain.

OLine is just a disaster. Just bad... awful... train wreck.

MM... you have used up all your "time" from winning the SB. You are just stale... seem to accept mediocrity (but hey... we've won 10 games!) Time for you to go. I'm sure Miami will hire you.

thumbsup

Who would have thought we would be praising a Capers D. He has done more than enough for this season to be a success... and tonight was no different. Too bad the offense decided to shit the bed.

Crosby. That forced fumble may have been the best play by a kicker that wasn't a kick.

We'll obviously learn a lot next week as this season reminds me quite a bit of 2004.

For those of you that don't remember we started 1-4 and then won a bunch of games on last second Longwell FG's. Took that miracle game with the Cardinals to get us the last playoff slot. Randy Moss and Minny then smoked us in round one. We just weren't a strong team despite finishing 10-6 and making the playoffs.

That was a tired team whose Ron Wolf stocked talent was running out. They cratered in 2005. Wasn't until Ted got his feet on the ground in 05 and replaced Sherman in 06 that things started to turn back.

I sort of feel like we are in the same situation right now.

Agree with your overall point, but the miracle Cards/Vikings game got us into the playoffs in 2003, which led to the Al Harris pick-6 game against Seattle. I know that, because I arrived in GB to see the playoff game on the same plane as Nathan Poole, the Cards WR who caught the TD and was in town receiving the key to the city of GB :)

In 2004 we played back-to-back games with the Vikings. We won the last game of the year on a last second Longwell FG, as you said, then got destroyed by Moss the next week. There was dead wood on that roster, and there's dead wood on this one.

Crosby. That forced fumble may have been the best play by a kicker that wasn't a kick.

It came up today on the radio, and I've seen the play before in this or our predecessor's forums, but the Chester Marcol one is better :) but hey, if we'd have won this game too then now we're talking

AR talking about them doing better when MM finally late in game opens it up for WR to just get open and let AR find them.
Recipe for disaster ... MM insists on offense WR can't handle ... I'm with AR on this ... MM has sabotaged his own offense.​

But what does that exactly mean? I seen a comment or paraphrase from MM's presser and it had to do with schoolyard football. Is Aaron wanting more broken type play, schoolyard type plays? I mean, what does open it up mean, in order to allow the Wr's to get open? If you're having Wr's just running whatever routes they want then you're asking for trouble. AR's mechanics have been horrible and he's been relying on the old press that his outstanding playmaking off of broken or scramble plays has played into his inaccuracy. I understand he has enormous pressure this season but he seems to prefer to be on the move when throwing, and his throws have been way off this year. The throw to Jones, on the endzone INT, was a microcosm of the accuracy he has displayed over the season. He had the option of throwing that outside to give JJ a great chance to catch it. On the same play he had Kuhn slicing to the inside with no one in the middle of the endzone. Sure, it would have been risky because he's a FB but hell, take the chance and maybe win a game.

I just think that we are seeing the same tendencies develop in AR as we did with Favre when they believe they are greater than the coaches, the system, or the play calling.

What I would like to see, honestly, is a thorough breakdown of our offensive struggles by an unbiased source that can give us an idea of why we're struggling so much with little turnover in the roster. Is the bulk of the blame on the players sucking? Is it the calls being made or the routes being run? Is Aaron just missing open guys?

I just think that we are seeing the same tendencies develop in AR as we did with Favre when they believe they are greater than the coaches, the system, or the play calling.

I get that it is probably hard to stay humble when you are making millions of dollars and everyone treats you like you walk on water, but I will never understand putting egos...including MM ahead of winning. o_O

Back