Post Game Thread: GB defeats Detroit 23-22

Positives: 3-0 in toughest division in football; Rodger's found a way to win with a lot of scrub wr's.; one exception was Lazard. Jamal Williams played a great game coming off that vicious hit.

Negatives: Way too thin at WR. Outside of Adams, MVS and maybe Lazard, the rest are borderline pros. Hard to think we agonized near cut down day about which "great" wr we would have to cut and see him picked up by another team. Gutsy has to take a look at Sanu or Sanders....cripes, even Dez Bryant. Graham is toast, can't run, can't block and he shouldn't be playing more snaps than Tonyan. Saw somewhere that OJ Howard might be on block.

Positive
  • Lazzard stepped up. The other guys played scared. Sheppard, Jesus, Gmo. Lazzard embraced the moment and just leap frogged up the depth chart to #3.
  • Defense holding Lions to FG time and time again. A couple big sacks from Smith bros again.
  • Run defense was much improved. Dean Lowry actually played really well.
  • Huge team win to overcome -3 turnover difference. That doesn’t happen often in the NFL.
  • For once we are on the right end of the officials totally f***** up. We deserve it.
  • 3-0 vs the Division. We are in the drivers seat.
  • 2-0 without Devante. Team keeps finding a way. All this adversity will pay dividends later in the year.
  • MLF clock management. End of half and end of game. What a breath of fresh air compared to MM constantly f****** that up.

Negative:
  • Return and Coverage units have been crap all year. Not impressed.
  • Sheppard and Gmo both were horrible tonight.
  • King got burned over and over again.

Shepherd is a rookie. The punt he should have fair caught. That pass he slipped while trying to put the brakes on to catch the pass that was behind him. If thrown in front of him, that doesn't happen. He will be fine. Too many mistakes overall but we still got the win. I will take it.

I was having flashbacks all game of Favre in 2005, throwing the ball to the likes of Taco Wallace and Antonio Chatman. The story of this one was Aaron Rodgers hitting a bunch of jabronis in the hands and face all night and watching them cough up the ball over and over. The difference between Alan Lazard and everyone else was that when the Lions pushed, he seemed to push back. He wanted the damn ball and he delivered. Still, he's not an answer at the position. Allison has had better games than that and IMO he's a cut waiting to happen.

All that said, a win is a win. I thik AR hit 9 or 10 different receivers again in this one. Bunch of catches by the RBs, couple from the TEs, couple to the aforementioned jabronis and voila, enough for a win.

p.s. on the penalties. First of all, we had the fail mary and CMIII in ref jail last year so I will never feel bad about another team getting hosed. Second of all, here's the rule:

ARTICLE 7. ILLEGAL USE OF HANDS BY DEFENSE

It is a foul if a defensive player thrusts his hands or arms forward above the frame of an opponent to forcibly contact him on the neck, face, or head.

Note: Contact in close-line play is not a foul, unless it is direct and forcible, or prolonged.

My bold added.

Were the calls letter of the law? Yes. Were they ill-timed at the end of a game? You betcha. Should refs swallow the whistle on late drives except for egregious penalties? Arguably yes. But were they phantom, made up, didn't happen? No they were not.

We all knew was going to be a work in progress and now that we are 5-1 we need to pump the breaks a bit. We dont have to give up draft equity to get some pieces, they will come later in the draft and FA (Sanu is not leaving Atlanta with his $8m on dead money).

Glass Half Full
  • Like ML approach to the game and energy, the culture itself has helped win 2-3 games, but we are 5-1
  • #12 seems to be buying in, far from a finished product but we are 5-1
  • I trust this defense, mostly the front 7 but back end has depth issues, but we are 5-1

Glass Half Empty
  • ST is not special, I attribute that mostly to youth and thin depth, its a league wide issue not just GB, but we are 5-1
  • WR is a work in progress. Obviously #17 helps when back but MVS flashed and Lazzard needs to get more reps. No major upgrade out there..but we are 5-1
  • 3-0 in divison is most overlooked number, but we are 5-1
  • Margin of error is razor thin, could easily be 2-3, but we are 5-1

I thought 4-2 would be the celling for this team at this point but they find a way to win and that goes to the locker room and staff. Overall pleased but KC, Chargers and SF on road will clearly be a challenge as will Carolina and Minny and DET on the road. But we are 5-1 so enjoy the ride

Packers need to bring in and work out KR/PR this week put Shepard on notice. He is nothing special and can be easily replaced.

This is a rebuilding year. The D isca year ahead of the O in that rebuilding project. Offense is gonna be way better next year!

73016098_3033646299984510_5964179848527085568_n.jpg

Back