Post Game Thread : Denver Defeats GB 29-10

Only watched the 1st quarter, but enough to make sense of the defense through it. Casey Hayward can't play boundary corner, plain and simple. The Chargers exploited it last week with Keenan Allen, and the Broncos did it again this week with Demaryius Thomas. Put Damarious Randall on the opposite boundary corner of Shields, and let him develop. I'm not sure he's the answer, but he can't be that much worse than Hayward out there.

Second, Nate Palmer needs to man up. Yes, he's got value as a coverage LBer, which is a nice mix with Clay but he gets washed out of run plays way too much.

As for offense. Simple hit Aaron early and hard. After he got nailed and slammed he never got back in rhythm. QB are a fragile bunch .. once the head games start easy to get them off kilter.

Wow. Very disappointing way to lose. Totally outcoached. Woefully unprepared. Lackluster effort. Palmer looked like Brad Jones lite out there. Hyde has been exposed and mediocre TEs are having their way with him. Casey Hayward is ONLY a slot CB.
But the real problem is on offense. Denver exploited our weaknesses over and over. Face it, Bak is a very mediocre LT and yet how many times did we try to run left and kept getting our asses handed to us. I didn't notice us throw the quick slant more than a couple times. Nothing is on time, no tempo. MM has made his name on Arod's ability to break the contain from the pocket. The last few games opponents have kept their lanes and forced Aaron to throw from the pocket. It works better than the two deep strategy. Denver admittedly gave us the short pass, but we wouldn't take it! No short crossing routes, badly run screen passes and no shifty backs who could make someone miss. MM has gotten too comfortable with his whole scheme and is unable to adapt to corrections needed on the spot. Our best offensive player this week? THE PENALTY FLAG! aaaarrrrrggghhhhh.

I may be in the minority here.

Was this really a surprise? We came into the game ranked 22nd I N passing offehse. Let that sink in. One game with over 300 yards passing. Richard Rodgers more receptions than James Jones

Wins put lipstick on the pig

Not a real shock but disappointing none the less. It's just that the overall talent is lacking that there seems no room for adjustment when things aren't going well. I'm not happy, by any means, with the coaching staff. The entire football team needs to take a hard look at what they are doing. Even in a win, improvement should be sought.

I think that the worst of it is that we all know last night was no fluke. Last night, we all saw who this team really is. I think a lot of us have suspected this all year, or at least feared it, and now our fears are confirmed. That was the 2015 Packers we saw there, folks. That's the team we're going to finish out the year with. They've taken a big step back from last year.

11-5, maybe even 12-6, and a postseason berth. If we host a wild card game the first weekend, we might advance to the second round. If we get a bye, then we'll lose the first playoff game to whichever team was good enough to survive the previous weekend. But either way, the team I saw last night probably has no chance of getting past the second round of the playoffs, and would probably be lucky to get that far unless they get the bye. So another 1-1 or 0-1 postseason, because while we are good enough to beat up on the average and below average teams, we can't compete with the better teams and smarter coaches that we'll have to face in the postseason. Just the same as it is every year.

The only way this team improves is if the players I saw on the field last night somehow become much better players, and the coaches who stood there watching them play like high school kids for 3 1/2 hours without coming up with a single idea on how to try something different somehow become much smarter coaches.

Is there anyone here who can give me a good reason to believe either of those things is going to happen?

I'm not ready to declare they are an early out, but agree some things need to happen and some players and coaches need to improve.

O-line needs to figure some things out in the run game. Let's play with a fullback more.

Richard Rodgers needs to see more bench time. If that means 4-wides, so be it, but he's not getting open much and he's a minus as a blocker. That doesn't work. If you can't block then you are a WR, in which case, lets bring in a real WR. Use the FB instead of a TE.

While not much can be done about it for 2016, I think it's time to stop dancing around Lacy's weight. He's fat and it's not helping him. The Packers need to tell him to show up slimmer and in shape. Maybe you do need to draft another RB - send a message.

AR is a part of the problem as well. Stop holding the ball forever and make the throws that are there. Yes, some need to be in tight windows. Stop obsessing over INTs and throw guys open. Look at the tape from the Super Bowl. Plenty of balls thrown to WRs who were not "wide open". Surely there are some timing routes in the playbook. Take what's there and get to the next set of downs.

Hayward plays slot only going forward - sorry if that bothers you Casey. Randall is the new starter outside. Hyde plays dime until Rollins comes back, then he's only used in certain packages and special teams. He has become a liability in coverage.

Not much you can do to change the run defense. Need to set a better edge and Palmer needs to decide if he's just going to give up his ILB job without a fight because right now he's asking for a benching. Problem is, not sure Ryan is any better and Thomas is too light for starting duty.

Offensive coaches need to find short passes and short crossing routes to allow some quick timing throws. Need to use some screens and passes to the RBs, but then, they don't really have a good receiving RB since they cut him in camp.

Defensive coaches - decide if you are going to play soft or physical, but this in between stuff is not working. Either be physical at the line or play off. Tight coverage while giving free releases is not a recipe for success. One safety has to play the short middle of the field more. Gonna have to give up something deep and outside and hope the CBs can cover. Teams are eating us up in the short middle of the field.

Fix some of those things and I think you can find a way to get better. I don't know if you can get Super Bowl better, but this team is not as bad as it showed on Sunday night. I'm tired of hearing about Jordy Nelson. That is a stupid crutch. The entire friggin' offense does not depend on Nelson. Figure out what you can do well, adapt, and move forward. Stop bringing up Nelson and stop making excuses. Run plays that fit the personnel, move the chains and grind out some not-so-pretty wins.

OK, mild rant over.

I know that it was stated here that AR's stats are similar to last years but this year is definitely different. There is something off with Rodgers. He is not getting the ball out of his hands, he is missing open WR's, and if they are not wide open he doesn't throw it to them. In the NFL, WR's are generally not wide open. Something is amiss here. To be honest, I think we may have to go back to MM calling the plays. Not sure Clements is good enough at this point.

I don't know if we need to change play callers but for some reason AR hasn't been the same since he threw those 2 INTs against the Rams. :( Is his aversion to throwing picks made him even more cautious when he should be aggressive and throwing guys open like he once did? sh))

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have very minimal football knowledge but I was not surprised how this game went. I knew that Kubiak and staff would adjust to helping Manning be more successful and they did.

I have to agree with the comment that the Packers coaching staff is super stubborn. If it's not working, FIX IT. I was hoping that with Clements calling the plays that maybe some things would be different. But personally I don't see any difference between when MM was calling plays and now. It is so obvious that they have not recovered from losing Jordy. Get over it and come up with a game plan that will make you successful. bh(

Both the offense and the defense looked lost.

To tell the truth I'm not anymore optimistic about the Carolina game.

I guess NOW we'll see what the Packers are made of.

Yes, get over losing Jordy and adjust the offense so you can put the guys you do have in the best position for success. csr(

The concerning thing is the Broncos did pretty much exactly the same thing that the Chargers did to us and we once again had no idea how to stop it. Getting Hyde out would be a start but they had receivers open downfield all game.

I thought it was hilarious that we punted with 7 minutes left. Yeah, we're probably not coming back with the way our offense was playing but what's the worst that happens if we don't make it on 4th down? They get the ball and score again? I turned it off for good at that point because I knew we weren't trying to win at that point.

I had no problem with them punting with 7 minutes to go. There was no way in hell we were coming back so why delay the inevitable? Get the damn game over with, get back to GB and get ready for Carolina.

I don't know if ANY team was gonna go in there and beat the Broncos that night. They were clicking on all cylinders and flying all over the field. We had to play the perfect game and even if we did I don't know if that would have made any difference. We can't change it now so I hope they don't dwell on it too long. We don't have that luxury. Try to fix what ails us and go on to Carolina.

I don't know if ANY team was gonna go in there and beat the Broncos that night. They were clicking on all cylinders and flying all over the field. ...

i don't know if that is true or if we just made them look that way. i think we played so badly, that we would have made the bears look like world-beaters.

Back