Post Game: Pats Top GB 21-17

My takeaways from the game.

- The TE position has a depth problem. I'm not sure what Deguara adds anymore now that he's a FB, and not a very good one. Allen is a decent developmental guy. From my point of view, it's time to cut bait on this guy and pick up a blocking type TE after final cutdowns. Go with Musgrave, Kraft, and "pick-up guy" at TE for the 53.

- WR has 7 guys who might be worth keeping on the 53 and to me right now Toure is the maybe most expendable though I can see a good reason to keep him as the #2 slot guy. He's OK as a returner but Reed and Nixon are better.

- Sean Clifford continues to surprise. He's not ready right now, but he's better than most of the rookie QBs we've trotted out there over the years.

- Wooden and Brooks have really upgraded the the DL position. Both are nice draft picks.

- They are finally deep at OLB/Edge. They have 5 for sure and Cox could make it 6. They are also adequately deep at ILB with 4 for sure and 5 guys worthy of the 53.

- the CB room looks OK, though Valentine took a step back down to earth. Still, I think once Stokes is back, they will hopefully be pretty solid 5 deep.

-Safety is a complete meh. They are all pretty mediocre and hopefully they are watching closely at cut-down day.

- our up and down kicker was up yesterday. They seem determined to go with him as both Gute and Bisaccia apparently made clear this week. Be prepared for an up and down season with some losses due to missed kicks.

Noticed them breaking the huddle and being at the line with like 15 seconds or more left and snapping ball with 8-10 seconds on clock. To me this shows ML was making excuse for Rodgers saying it was on him taking to long to call in play as Rodgers would let the play clock go down to near zero and often waste TO as he could not get ball snapped in time. I always hated that Rodgers did that trying to "read" the defense.

Though outside of game it's getting crazy what people are charging to park. 10 years ago could find parking as low as $5 if willing to walk a bit. Now those same lots charging $20 or more to park. Lots near Lambeau $40 and Lambeau itself is $50.

My takeaways from the game.

- The TE position has a depth problem. I'm not sure what Deguara adds anymore now that he's a FB, and not a very good one. Allen is a decent developmental guy. From my point of view, it's time to cut bait on this guy and pick up a blocking type TE after final cutdowns. Go with Musgrave, Kraft, and "pick-up guy" at TE for the 53.

- WR has 7 guys who might be worth keeping on the 53 and to me right now Toure is the maybe most expendable though I can see a good reason to keep him as the #2 slot guy. He's OK as a returner but Reed and Nixon are better.

- Sean Clifford continues to surprise. He's not ready right now, but he's better than most of the rookie QBs we've trotted out there over the years.

- Wooden and Brooks have really upgraded the the DL position. Both are nice draft picks.

- They are finally deep at OLB/Edge. They have 5 for sure and Cox could make it 6. They are also adequately deep at ILB with 4 for sure and 5 guys worthy of the 53.

- the CB room looks OK, though Valentine took a step back down to earth. Still, I think once Stokes is back, they will hopefully be pretty solid 5 deep.

-Safety is a complete meh. They are all pretty mediocre and hopefully they are watching closely at cut-down day.

- our up and down kicker was up yesterday. They seem determined to go with him as both Gute and Bisaccia apparently made clear this week. Be prepared for an up and down season with some losses due to missed kicks.
The safety position...unless we get an unexpected contribution from Savage and then move Douglas(which seems unlikely)...I don't know what the plan is.

1st-Get Stokes back. The CB position at the moment should afford him plenty of opportunity to take his time, but outside of that, you have

CB-4 Locks(Stokes PUP)
-Jaire(true #1)
-Valentine -They've said he's arguably not just been the standout rookie of the camp, but the standout PLAYER...which is insane as a 7th round pick, but every time we've seen him, he looks outstanding. He looks like a starting outside CB.
-Nixon-Has the slot position
-Douglas- He's filled in very well, but he's not an ideal match with these other CBs. Even Moreso when Stokes comes back. He's at his best reading the QBs eyes, playing the ball.

Likely to make 53

-Corey Ballentine-He's a competitive CB. He's looked good at times. He's physical and a very good STer.

Long shots

-Jean-Charles-Seen some flashes from him, but we've seen those the last couple years.
Practice Squad
-Kiondre Thomas-He's physical and pretty solid in coverage, but has had a quiet camp.
At this point, I think he's waived and finds a place elsewhere.
-William Hooper- He's got good speed, he's also made some nice plays, but he's also been very physical.
He has one more week and has a chance to play himself onto STs.

Joe Barry needs to be creative and get the 4 CBs on the field as much as possible.

Savage-Should get another chance, but he's best suited as a slot and he's not been very physical. Just kinda peaked year 2 and then hasn't been reliable since.
Sapp, Ford...none of them have really shown much.

Anthony Johnson is a guy I'm holding out some hope for. He may not start early on, but he has the ability to work his way into the lineup. Good coverage skills, physical...and smart.

That'd be my secondary

Jaire/Valentine/Douglas/Nixon/Savage and then Anthony Johnson in the nickel or Rudy Ford if you need a little more thump. But you can move guys around. Just call it 4 CBs and 1 Safety if it makes Barry feel less apprehensive about "moving Douglas to safety." Let him play Robber or play some Cover3 match with him playing that underneath zone. Less run and cover, more read the QB and jumping routes.

I think the second angle is the best one here on the play, it’s actually a really nice ball, but on that angle you can see how Doubs drifts and falls off his route. He always does a nice job snagging the ball away from his body but the route could be a little better here

I saw a Love hating idiot make a comment on FB saying great catch but awful throw. I called him out saying BS that ball was perfect throw were only the WR could catch it or be incomplete no chance for a pick.

So is Reed going to be given chance in pre-season to return kicks? Thought that was part of reason he was taken.

The safety position...unless we get an unexpected contribution from Savage and then move Douglas(which seems unlikely)...I don't know what the plan is.

1st-Get Stokes back. The CB position at the moment should afford him plenty of opportunity to take his time, but outside of that, you have

CB-4 Locks(Stokes PUP)
-Jaire(true #1)
-Valentine -They've said he's arguably not just been the standout rookie of the camp, but the standout PLAYER...which is insane as a 7th round pick, but every time we've seen him, he looks outstanding. He looks like a starting outside CB.
-Nixon-Has the slot position
-Douglas- He's filled in very well, but he's not an ideal match with these other CBs. Even Moreso when Stokes comes back. He's at his best reading the QBs eyes, playing the ball.

Likely to make 53

-Corey Ballentine-He's a competitive CB. He's looked good at times. He's physical and a very good STer.

Long shots

-Jean-Charles-Seen some flashes from him, but we've seen those the last couple years.
Practice Squad
-Kiondre Thomas-He's physical and pretty solid in coverage, but has had a quiet camp.
At this point, I think he's waived and finds a place elsewhere.
-William Hooper- He's got good speed, he's also made some nice plays, but he's also been very physical.
He has one more week and has a chance to play himself onto STs.

Joe Barry needs to be creative and get the 4 CBs on the field as much as possible.

Savage-Should get another chance, but he's best suited as a slot and he's not been very physical. Just kinda peaked year 2 and then hasn't been reliable since.
Sapp, Ford...none of them have really shown much.

Anthony Johnson is a guy I'm holding out some hope for. He may not start early on, but he has the ability to work his way into the lineup. Good coverage skills, physical...and smart.

That'd be my secondary

Jaire/Valentine/Douglas/Nixon/Savage and then Anthony Johnson in the nickel or Rudy Ford if you need a little more thump. But you can move guys around. Just call it 4 CBs and 1 Safety if it makes Barry feel less apprehensive about "moving Douglas to safety." Let him play Robber or play some Cover3 match with him playing that underneath zone. Less run and cover, more read the QB and jumping routes.
Valentine I was worried about him last night. He seemed to try to jump routes or playing to agressive and allowed the Pats WR to make a move on him and get past him. This was a 7th round pick. He's going to make mistakes. While he should make the team I would not count on him to be out there as a every down CB right away.

When one idiot says Clifford will replace Love by mid-season another idiot says this

I'm hoping this isn't the case, but after watching the first two preseason games, I was thinking the same thing. The problem is, I'm not sure the Packers' brass has the balls to do it if even if Love sucks; they're knee-deep invested in this kid. But, if you take away the baggage Love has (hand-picked heir/coddling by the franchise/etc.) and just look at them both as rookie QB's, Clifford would be winning the job at this point. He seems to have the intangibles whereas Love is very scripted.

Man the hate for Love is real. Clifford is no were looking better then Love. Clifford if he started the season GB would be lucky to get 2-3 wins on the season. He's no where close ready to play is not better then Love and at best Clifford turns into a serviceable Backup IMO.

When one idiot says Clifford will replace Love by mid-season another idiot says this

I'm hoping this isn't the case, but after watching the first two preseason games, I was thinking the same thing. The problem is, I'm not sure the Packers' brass has the balls to do it if even if Love sucks; they're knee-deep invested in this kid. But, if you take away the baggage Love has (hand-picked heir/coddling by the franchise/etc.) and just look at them both as rookie QB's, Clifford would be winning the job at this point. He seems to have the intangibles whereas Love is very scripted.

Man the hate for Love is real. Clifford is no were looking better then Love. Clifford if he started the season GB would be lucky to get 2-3 wins on the season. He's no where close ready to play is not better then Love and at best Clifford turns into a serviceable Backup IMO.
That guy probably still wearing his Craig Nall jersey

Back