Post Game : Packers over NE 27-24 in OT

For as great as Rodgers is supposed to be . . . he got schooled by Jimmy G in Q4 of last season's playoff game. The great ones make plays in the playoffs, not just regular season (see Bills/Chiefs).
Yep Rodgers HOF regular season QB. But a Flacco type QB in post-season as in he got one hot run that won him one ring but never did anything else since then.

Yep Rodgers HOF regular season QB. But a Flacco type QB in post-season as in he got one hot run that won him one ring but never did anything else since then.
Many think the ring is predominantly because of the defense that year - Keg Man included

Many think the ring is predominantly because of the defense that year - Keg Man included

It was certainly a huge factor, but Aaron did play really well in 3 of the 4 playoff games that year. That's why I've always felt a team needs to be balanced. Every player, including Tom Brady has off games, even in the playoffs.

Despite ho-hum play by Aaron, you can argue that the Packers could well have won both of the last 2 NFC Championship games had the defense not had a number of completely stupid mental breakdowns by the secondary against the Bucs and had the special teams not had an epically bad performance for the ages against the 49ers.

Yup, a lot of this falls on Aaron, but to me, much (most?) of the problem falls on Ted/Gute/Murphy for not building more complete teams with solid coaching in the years since the 2010-11 season. Look no further than the following year where an especially bad defense doomed that team to fall short despite the offense putting up crazy numbers all year.

IMHO the big thing with Arod is he doesn't elevate those around him when things get tough. He pouts. And if you're one of the highest paid players in NFL history you should be elevating those around you. The SF game was a perfect example.

2020 and 2021 If you are the MVP you should be able to find a way to put team on your back and carry them to the SB. Esp 2020 when Brady turned it over a ton in that game and you fail to captialize on it.

IMHO the big thing with Arod is he doesn't elevate those around him when things get tough. He pouts. And if you're one of the highest paid players in NFL history you should be elevating those around you. The SF game was a perfect example.
I agree he should elevate other Packers in big games more.

I don't think he pouts.

It was certainly a huge factor, but Aaron did play really well in 3 of the 4 playoff games that year. That's why I've always felt a team needs to be balanced. Every player, including Tom Brady has off games, even in the playoffs.

Despite ho-hum play by Aaron, you can argue that the Packers could well have won both of the last 2 NFC Championship games had the defense not had a number of completely stupid mental breakdowns by the secondary against the Bucs and had the special teams not had an epically bad performance for the ages against the 49ers.

Yup, a lot of this falls on Aaron, but to me, much (most?) of the problem falls on Ted/Gute/Murphy for not building more complete teams with solid coaching in the years since the 2010-11 season. Look no further than the following year where an especially bad defense doomed that team to fall short despite the offense putting up crazy numbers all year.
By "not building complete teams," you mean paying Aaron, right?

By "not building complete teams," you mean paying Aaron, right?

Not really. Sure, that's a part of it, but it's way more than that.

For years Ted and Gute mostly ignored special teams in terms of drafting, signing, or keeping players specifically for that purpose. They cheaped out on special teams coaches a couple of times and that cost them as well.

Ted just filled the team with draft picks and UDFA's rather than bringing in veterans, even in the years where they had CAP room. He had some truly awful drafts at the end and did nothing in FA to compensate.

They haven't had a truly capable weapon at tight end in what, five or six years and Ted/Gute's way of addressing it was picking Deguara - ugh.

Murphy allowed Ted to hang around a couple of years too long and both he and Ted allowed MM to coach one or two years too long. Murphy also forced ML to keep Pettine (cheaping out) instead of letting him bring in his own DC.

That's just the ones I can quickly think of, I'm sure others can think of more.

Back