Post Game Packers Defeat The Bears 24-23

I think this game was a good example of the adage: the difference between how you play and how you are capable of playing, is coaching.

Because they showed they are capable of far more than the disaster that unfolded in the first half. To sleep walk like that out of the gate to open the season, to look so disjointed and predictable and soft, to have so little energy is inexcusable and a direct reflection of McCarthy. It's his job to set the tone for the team and he failed. It took Rodgers' heroics to galvanize them and get everyone playing on their toes.

Thoughts:

• I'm not celebrating yet because if AR has a fully torn ACL, they have to shut him down for the season. I hope it's an MCL sprain, and I remember some years ago Logan Mankins played a full season and playoffs with a partially torn ACL so even that's possible, but still holding my breath on this injury.
  • Bob McGinn wrote in one of his roster previews that a scout told him he'd have cut Justin McCray after the Pitt exhibition game, and boy you can see why. I can't remember the last time we were that bad at OG. Will Whittiker maybe in 2005? if I'm Gute I get Jahari Evans in there for a workout this week. It's out of the frying pan and into the fire with that Vikings interior coming to town next week, and if AR does play they can't have McCray getting rag-dolled around like that.
  • Mark mentioned Gute trading for Lev Bell - if they get even mildly good news on AR and he can give it a go the rest of the way, it's really worth looking at that trade. If the O is going to be based on quick throws, timing, and running the ball, can you think of a better available player to pick up all that slack? It's what he's made to do. Teams eventually are going to squat on those under routes - MN never has a problem with that - so a proven dynamic playmaker, plus Aaron Jones who also has a lot of burst, can really make a difference in how we'll need to play going forward with a gimpy Rodgers.
  • As others have said, I'm cautiously optimistic on the D. There are personnel issues that cannot be fixed this season - CMIII is just not a dynamic player (he got thrown to the ground a couple times), Blake Martinez is just too slow of foot and slow to diagnose to be impactful at ILB, pass rush overall was anemic. At the same time, I thought the secondary was pretty solid - no big gaping coverage issues. I thought guys looked more disciplined overall. I thought they got into their pre-snap positions quickly instead of the patented Capers Confusion. Reggie Gilbert made one of the heads up plays of the game when he picked up Cohen on a wheel route in the red zone at the end of the game, which held the Bears to a FG. That is an easy TD and a great call by them, Gilbert just made a smart football play and that reflects good coaching IMO.

Agreed on the D. They had their moments of usual crappiness; however, they did get it done at the end. That has not happened in awhile. Our CB's look way better already than last year. Yes, I know it was Trubisky but last years CB's would have allowed 320 in passing and a 120.0 QB rating not a 71.0 QB rating. And the young CB's are only going to get better.
I was impressed with King last night. He was step for step with his guys most of the night. Great play by Alexander at the end. (Even with Clay's bone headed play) Jackson was not mentioned all night. As CB that is ok with me.

What can you say about Aaron Rodgers. I don't care what anyone says. This guy is the best to ever play the game. Talent wise no one can touch him. People can say Brady is the best because he has 5 SB's but as I said last night on chat, the Packers D has given up an average of 34 points per game in the 8 playoff losses since the SB win. NE's D has given up 23 points per game in the last 8 years. That is telling. SB's do not tell you who the best is. Marino never got a SB because of his defenses but he is considered top 10 maybe top 5.

Lastly, once again it proves AR can get rid of the ball quickly and do it on time. Why MM and him do not do more of this, I am not sure. Maybe if he can play hurt it help them play this way offensively and we will be better. We will see.

Reggie Gilbert made one of the heads up plays of the game when he picked up Cohen on a wheel route in the red zone at the end of the game, which held the Bears to a FG. That is an easy TD and a great call by them, Gilbert just made a smart football play and that reflects good coaching IMO.

i loved that hustle. and i'm shocked that it isn't part of the video highlights of the game on nfl.com.

by the way, speaking of hustle and not giving up on a play, anybody else notice the two key blocks made by ty montgomery to help cobb get into the endzone on that long catch and run?

i loved that hustle. and i'm shocked that it isn't part of the video highlights of the game on nfl.com.

by the way, speaking of hustle and not giving up on a play, anybody else notice the two key blocks made by ty montgomery to help cobb get into the endzone on that long catch and run?

I can't right now but I'll try to grab a gif of that play later and post. It wasn't even great coverage by Gilbert, I think the play was designed not to drop the ball in a bucket to Cohen in the back of the end zone, but to hit him full stride well before, and to that end Gilbert, just by picking him up, got in the way and blew it up.

I don't care what anyone says. This guy is the best to ever play the game.

it's very subjective, but he certainly deserves to be in the conversation. last night's game was yet another example of rodgers putting the whole team on his back and creating a win. there aren't many that can do that. yes, he had a little help along the way - football is a team sport after all. but i think the way that he gutted out that game inspired the rest of the team to perform at a higher level.

Going in a little diff direction. Yes Arod deserves the praise but Adams and Cobb turned mid range passes into TDs with YAC. Arod wasn't the only one who stepped up and willed the team to win. And I have to admit I didn't think Cobb had that in him .. that was a 15 yard pass over the middle and 60 yards of Cobb...

Def and OL still a major issue. There were a lot of open Bear receivers that second half that Trubisky flat out missed. Def as a whole is slow.

But Arod, Adams, Cobb, Geronimo.. those guys really stepped up .....

Going in a little diff direction. Yes Arod deserves the praise but Adams and Cobb turned mid range passes into TDs with YAC. Arod wasn't the only one who stepped up and willed the team to win. And I have to admit I didn't think Cobb had that in him .. that was a 15 yard pass over the middle and 60 yards of Cobb...

Def and OL still a major issue. There were a lot of open Bear receivers that second half that Trubisky flat out missed. Def as a whole is slow.

But Arod, Adams, Cobb, Geronimo.. those guys really stepped up .....

It was like the Favre Oakland game wasn't it? Just by being out there, those receivers stepped up their games big time and caught everything.

Back