Post Game Niners Defeat Packers 37-20 End Season.

The season was a pleasant surprise at 13-3 and winning a playoff game at Lambeau. Sweeping MIN and CHI may have been my favorite part. But the underlying concerns beneath the "ugly wins" were not misplaced. They beat some teams they maybe shouldn't have and found ways to win in close contests. But we should really look at why those wins looked ugly and why things came down to the wire as often as they did.

On D, we added a bunch of sacks and pressures, even some turnovers. Also had some good bounces go our way. But the yards given up was a hard stat to shake. So was the ranking vs. the run. There's also the fact this team was at close to a 100% for the whole year and played a lot of games where the opponent had starters missing. You can beat a lot of teams that way. Unfortunately SF was not one of those teams.

Gauging this team is tough. Is it better than 14 other teams in the conference but not in the same league as the 15th? SF truly has a stacked roster, full of high picks, mostly in their first contract. That's a lot of talent and youth and their cap is not too shabby. They're going to be around for the foreseeable future. So you really have to use them as a measuring stick. I don't know how you get there without drafting in the top 10 or top 1/3 for 3 years and hitting on a lot of picks. Gute has had two drafts and 3 guys have played significant snaps. That has to improve. He'll also have to be active in FA this year. But he can't rely on that every year unless he wants to start pushing money out.

The good news is we have a QB, LT, WR and RB that is as good a combo as any. However half of those guys are closer to the end of their career than the beginning. There is not much time to waste. We also have a DT, two edge rushers, a CB and two S you can win with.

I don't have any answers short of finding impact players at WR#2, ILB, DL, and OL. I thought the team was on it's way to long lean years when MM was hired and Farve was looking more and more like a liability every year. Never would have guessed we'd be in the NFCCG in MM's second year, and with 4 at QB. We could see the same turnaround with the current team. Stranger things have happened.

Some here have mentioned Rodgers and rightfully so. Is he the same QB as 4-5 years ago no, but let’s also be honest. The throw to Adams yesterday and the 2 dimes he dropped vs Seattle there are maybe 1-2 other guys now who make those throws. The flip side is as age hits you lose the legs, you don’t process progressions as well and you lose a bit of an “edge “. Good Aaron / Bad Aaron. I still think you can win with 12 at this level , the question is how deep can he take you. The emphasis on the run game helps significantly but with pedestrian WR it’s difficult. The game yesterday was a matchup nightmare on many levels but the window, or should I say the Rodgers era window shut a bit yesterday

My guess because Packers got to NFCC and because while they gave up ton of yards I think there were a top 10 defense in PPG. My guess Packers try to improve the DL give the team so more horses up front. Right now the Packers have no one to stop the run. Packers spent a lot of picks to work on Secondary but we are running below average talent on the DL outside of Clark.
I think last night showed that outside of Clark, our DL got beat badly and they opened up huge holes for their RB's. Lowry and Lancaster are ok backups, but we need help up front. Martinez at ILB makes a lot of tackles, but if we're playing a 3-4 we need someone a bit quicker who can run with RB's and TE's. And yes, on offense we need help at WR; the young guys that showed promise last year took a step back with the new offense this year. Will they get better? WR has depth in the draft, so we certainly can address it.
Biggest needs are DL and WR, followed by depth at OL, ILB and TE.

If you look at FA DL seems to have some good players in it and probably the best spot to spend FA money. TE I think you are seeing Sternberger and Tonyan being the guys next year. You don't take a guy in the 3rd round without thinking he is your future starter.

Some here have mentioned Rodgers and rightfully so. Is he the same QB as 4-5 years ago no, but let’s also be honest. The throw to Adams yesterday and the 2 dimes he dropped vs Seattle there are maybe 1-2 other guys now who make those throws. The flip side is as age hits you lose the legs, you don’t process progressions as well and you lose a bit of an “edge “. Good Aaron / Bad Aaron. I still think you can win with 12 at this level , the question is how deep can he take you. The emphasis on the run game helps significantly but with pedestrian WR it’s difficult. The game yesterday was a matchup nightmare on many levels but the window, or should I say the Rodgers era window shut a bit yesterday
Brett F was the same way - when he didn't trust his WR's he forced things to the 1 or 2 guys he did trust. My point is, I'm not sure Rodgers is really any different than many QB's in the league. Despite what some media people say, we still don't know if there's an issue with the WR's running the wrong routes, which leads him to not trust them - I think someone earlier on this thread mentioned the first INT last night - was GMO supposed to stop and curl there instead of running deep like he did? Again, not saying AR hasn't made any mistakes - he HAS turned into a bit of a diva at times, and that chip on his shoulder works both for and against him.

Brett F was the same way - when he didn't trust his WR's he forced things to the 1 or 2 guys he did trust. My point is, I'm not sure Rodgers is really any different than many QB's in the league. Despite what some media people say, we still don't know if there's an issue with the WR's running the wrong routes, which leads him to not trust them - I think someone earlier on this thread mentioned the first INT last night - was GMO supposed to stop and curl there instead of running deep like he did? Again, not saying AR hasn't made any mistakes - he HAS turned into a bit of a diva at times, and that chip on his shoulder works both for and against him.
I think age is a factor. He cannot extend plays like he has in the past and i don’t think he process things and anticipates certain coverages and reacts slow. Sure some is WR but we even see the same things with Brees, Brady and Rivers. Father Time is undefeated

Kittle was an X factor in the run game for SF. I saw him dominate Za’Darius and Preston on multiple occasions that allowed Mostert to get outside on runs.
I was surprised by that.

Regarding our defense:

They were faster. I was surprised by how much.

But, what really annoyed was the the apparent minimal attitude to make the damn tackle. Our guys just don't seem to have the desire to stuff anybody. I think it contributes to bad angles and lackadaisical efforts.

I'm jealous of the 9ers. Everyone of their defenders wanted to hit us and committed to the tackles. It's disheartening that we don't really have any guys who appear able to, committed to, and want to decleat anybody.

Regarding our offense:

Rodgers makes 2-3 throws a game that nobody can make.

Yes, the receivers could be better, but, I don't think it's the recievers. I really think it's Rodgers. He won't run the game plan. He won't dink and dunk - he's said he doesn't think that's football. Fir as smart as he supposedly is, he doesn't see that dinking and dunking would put the opposing defense on its heels and give him the opportunities for his big plays.

I don't think it will matter who the recievers are because he will not take the first open guy and looks for the second bigger play.

Oh well, it ain't gonna change. I'm just another year older without a Lombardi

Back