Post Game Green Bay Defeats Tennessee 30-14

What a satisfying win on so many levels. Their first win ever in Nashville. They won despite the hot, humid conditions. They won without their starting QB. Malik Willis was able to show-up the team that didn't think he was even deserving of a back-up role. Their defense finally looked dominant for long stretches.

My keys to the season are still the same.

- Kicking game. No statistical misses, but without that penalty bailing him out Narveson missed right again from the 40-49yd range. I know he can't make them all, but I'd love to see him have a clean game just once. The NFL standard is 80% or better from that distance, and he needs to show that at some point. He's OK for now, but still a question mark and a work in progress.

- Run defense. Hard to know where this stands even with a terrific performance against the Titans. There will be teams with better backs and better o-lines who will test them more. The Packers did a great job of getting the lead and forcing the Titans to put this game in Levis' hands. As discussed in last week's thread, that's the best way to hide your run defense.

- Inexperience at QB. Willis took a step forward in this game. He did some things this week that he didn't or couldn't do last week. Nice to see the progression.

All that said, two negatives stand out, one bigger than the other. Gotta find a way to clean up the penalties, most specifically on Walker and the o-line. I believe that holding was a point of emphasis this off-season by the NFL. The Packers need to figure this out and need to work with Walker in particular on this. They may need to give some snaps to Dillard or Morgan at LT to see if there are better options and maybe put a fire under Walkers behind.

They also need to be better in the red zone. Their red zone TD percentage is near bottom of the league this year. Having a back-up QB is part of the problem, plus it's a small sample size. They were pretty much middle of the pack last season and hopefully they get back to that this season.

Back