Packers vs Cardinals - Gut reaction

TW

Reaction score
With all the problems surrounding the team, the Packers could have just sleep walked through the game in Arizona, and everyone would have said they understood how it could happen. But, that didn't happen.

Instead, the Packers came up with an offensive and defensive game plan that kept the ball out of Kyler Murray's hands for most of the game. Rodgers followed the script on offense, and the defense, despite being short handed to the tune of one coordinator, did it's job as well.

It wasn't pretty in a way, but at the same time, it was a masterpiece of old time football, where two teams smack each other head on, and nullify each other with their play. It was only fitting that the last play of the game actually decided the winner. It was that kind of a game.

What made it beautiful - from the Packer perspective - is how well the team did in controlling the tempo of the game until late in the 4th quarter. They never let Arizona show why they were undefeated.

For the next 9 or 10 days, the Packers can claim to be either the best, or at least one of the best in the league. Let's hope they're ready to deliver a similar knock out to the Chiefs, who are going to be riding on a lot of emotion after having lost this past Sunday. It was their wake up call, and we can expect them to be ready to play when the Packers arrive at Arrowhead.

This was a statement win. Packers were short handed. Many including myself thought this would be a AZ win. Packers fought hard all night long and despite some stupid play calling and clock management they were able to run the ball well and the defense fought hard all night long and they came out on top in the end.

Though if Tonyan does prove to be lost for the year. I think GB should look at Eric Ebron in Pitt. While he's not much he still can catch the ball and would come cheap in a trade.

I agree. Incredible victory! No reason in the world Packers should have won this game. Showed a lot of heart. I think Deguara might be pretty good. Maybe he can fill Tonyan’s shoes? We’ll see.

Concerning Aaron’s post-game interview, I think he’s made some fairly strong overtures about how much he loves the team and Packer fans. Maybe he’ll stay after all. I hope AR and Davante can be extended. And while they’re at it, PLEASE extend Campbell and Douglas!! What a couple of great signings by Gute and Company!! thumbsup

Rodgers is leaving us. But, it's because of the front office. I'll do a cartwheel if he stays.

This was a statement win. Packers were short handed. Many including myself thought this would be a AZ win. Packers fought hard all night long and despite some stupid play calling and clock management they were able to run the ball well and the defense fought hard all night long and they came out on top in the end.

Great, gritty win by this team. I'm not sure how people feel on moral victories, even when they have the actual victory but this is good for that locker room. This team came together and overcame a lot of adversity to be competitive for this game. This is a solid building block of team play. ML needs to harness this, promote this and ride this all the way to the SB. This team is doing very well with all the injuries. That's not an excuse. I know all teams face injuries but we all know that the severity at key positions can be different. This team is winning through those injuries. A sign of a strong team. Just wait til they get close to 100%. Could be a special run. Green and Gold goggles or not!

This game could end up being that “defining moment” in a season.

A dog pile of injuries, plus more in the game.
Playing an undefeated juggernaut at their home.
Missing a defensive coordinator.
Etc

To still find the grit/will to pull out a “W” just might instill a “we believe” into this team that could carry them a very long way.

Only time will tell

Studs: Defense. The DL and the linebackers were playing really well. Douglas also played lights out. I saw a few mistakes but overall they were aggresive, but also tackling well. Really wrapping the player up. The team had 3 takeaways total and the best one was on the last play of the game.
They didn't seem to be playing as aggresive in the 2nd half or else people were missing their assignments.

Offense: Rodgers, Cobb, Dillion, Jones and Tonyan (sure hope he didn't tear an ACL). I thought that Dillion stepped up in a big way. He was making several yards every time he got the ball. I was a little frustrated with the play calling both times they were in the 'gold' zone and didn't come away with the TD. Dilion was pretty hot and I thought that he had more of a chance getting the ball in for a TD,

Most of the talking heads didn't give us a chance. And if I'm honest I was rather doubtful. I just wanted to see them play well then see how it turned out. Well I guess it turned out pretty well. Because WE WON!!!!:laugh::laugh:

Good team win! All phases mostly did their job. Yes, there was a huge bit of luck in there but that's how close games often go one way or the other.

The downside is the mounting injuries. Hill's knee injury looked bad, but who knows. He wasn't a big impact guy but you hate losing depth. (On a side note, what the heck was he thinking on that kick-off.) Keke was a concussion I believe so he could likely be back for the next game. Tonyan didn't look that bad, but those are always the knee injuries that worry me. Probably something like an ACL and gone for the year.

Play calling and execution in the red zone is still a problem. Twice inside the 3 yard line and they come away with 3 points? That's atrocious. This game did not have to be that close. A bigger dose of AJ Dillon on that last goal line situation would have been nice but I wonder if he wasn't 100%. He looked a little hobbled after his last run. Still, they have to do better in those situations.

In the end though, this is a team win you can build on and should give everyone confidence that they can win against anyone if they stay together and play solid ball in all phases. GO PACK GO!!

Concerning Aaron’s post-game interview, I think he’s made some fairly strong overtures about how much he loves the team and Packer fans. Maybe he’ll stay after all.
That's impossible, you literally have to cut every other top-skill player for that to happen and make cap. Aaron's out after this season.

Back