Packers' GM Brian Gutekunst Has Been Remarkabky Average

THIS WEEKEND'S DECISION:

This Weekend? The Saints aren't playing Brees. The Rams aren't playing their running back. Other impact players are sitting in games that don't matter. Yet, we are apparently playing our guys, Rodgers, Bakhtari, Adams, Bulaga, and others that are nicked up in a meaningless game. Admittedly, we are not going to be playing in a week or two. But can we really risk it? Isn't it time to rest our guys so they aren't injured?

I don't know, but I can't believe a General Manager doesn't have a pretty big say in a situation like this.

I'M NOT SAYING LOSE, win with the back ups and set up the Pack to be Back in 2019.

I see your point in a way, but the objective each week in the NFL is to field the best team possible because they're playing for a fan base that pays a lot of money to see they best they've got.

The only reason teams like the Rams or Saints can get away with holding players out is because they're trying to avoid any chance of them being injured in a game that doesn't matter to them, but there are games beyond that of great importance. They won't be going home, like the Packers.

In all honesty, if I thought the Packers were tanking games, and I've paid big bucks for tickets, I'd be royally pissed.

Since salaries began to get out of hand, I have tried my best not to contribute anything to the team's finances.

I think Gute got a bit buried with what Ted left behind and I blame that on Murphy and the BOD. Anybody could see Ted was losing it. Now the Packers are weak at several positions and have some heavily overpaid players (Cobb, Matthews, Perry, Daniels is slipping a little, etc). And then Ted went cheap with players like Jared Cook.

I didn’t like that they didn’t try Randall at his natural position of Safety before they sent him off. But I think MM didn’t like his attitude and wanted him gone.

I think Gute seems very sharp at what he does. It’s Murphy, McCarthy, and the Board that weren’t staying on top of things and now Gute has to try and dig them out. Not fair to judge him yet, imo. If there are no marked improvements after this off-season, then yeah, sure. But let’s give the guy a chance. Just my opinion.

Funny, when I typed ‘Just my opinion’ above, it autocorrected to ‘Just my opioid ‘. Maybe my post wasn’t as intelligent sounding as I thought it was!! einstein):p

Last edited:
Gute has been pretty average to date. That said, average seems like a step up from Ted's last few years.

I agree that his FA deals haven't been all that productive, but hey, he at least entered the market, unlike Ted. Wilkerson was nothing. Graham is way overpaid but that was a reasonable gamble to improve a position that needed some upgrade. Williams was a solid addition to a young secondary. Not a game changer, but you could argue that he actually stabilized the back end after HaHa was traded and injuries hit. He's the only guy of the group of FAs that I would argue strongly to see return in 2019. Also important is that none of the deals hamstrings the team for more than a year.

In the draft, you can argue that he made a mistake not taking James, but it's still to early to know for sure. We'll need to look at it in a couple of years - for now it doesn't look great, even though Alexander looks promising though still incomplete. The rest of the draft is a mixed bag. In a few years how we view it will depend on if Jackson becomes a reliable starter either at CB or S and if the WRs provide a reliable starter and some depth. If that happens, then you will have gotten 3 starters from the draft and that would be average. The 2019 off-season will likely be his most important. A draft with more than the usual amount of ammo, a coach to help hire, some big decisions to make on veterans, and a bunch more CAP room than we are used to for possible free agent signings.

Lastly, the Mack deal. Who knows what to make of that. I think a deal and signing could have been made, but the cost might not have fit with the Packers plans once the price began to go up. Effectively, the Raiders got a pair of firsts, that were "expected" to be better than the Packers picks. To make the deal Gute would have needed to give up two 1st rounders and likely a second, retarding your ability to find younger starters and depth to put around your playmakers. On top of that you'd have effectively shut down free agency for a couple of years. Gute might have felt it would trap the team in high level mediocrity for years - make the playoffs but exit early (unless you can consistently hit on lower picks).

I will also add to the signing of Graham. Seattle had Bevell as OC. The guy that made perhaps the worst call in SB history. Lynch was dragging 4 or 5 guys, 4 and 5 yards down the field every carry. NE could NOT tackle the guy! You have an absolute jackhammer of a RB and decide to throw a pass to the middle of a defense that is stacked to stop the run??? Beyond stupid and ridiculous.

If I was GM, I also would have reasoned that Bevell was too inept to figure out how to utilize Graham and I would have signed him too. I would have thought Graham would have been super excited to play with a QB like Rodgers and had a renewed zeal for the game. Plus GB needed a red zone target besides Adams. I can’t fault Gute for that one at all.

Now, the Randall situation does bother me. GB was hurting at Safety and that is Randall’s natural position. Did not agree with that one at all. Gute got fleeced on that one. Happens to all GMs and I do think McCarthy played a huge role.

Gute has been pretty average to date. That said, average seems like a step up from Ted's last few years.

I agree that his FA deals haven't been all that productive, but hey, he at least entered the market, unlike Ted. Wilkerson was nothing. Graham is way overpaid but that was a reasonable gamble to improve a position that needed some upgrade. Williams was a solid addition to a young secondary. Not a game changer, but you could argue that he actually stabilized the back end after HaHa was traded and injuries hit. He's the only guy of the group of FAs that I would argue strongly to see return in 2019. Also important is that none of the deals hamstrings the team for more than a year.

In the draft, you can argue that he made a mistake not taking James, but it's still to early to know for sure. We'll need to look at it in a couple of years - for now it doesn't look great, even though Alexander looks promising though still incomplete. The rest of the draft is a mixed bag. In a few years how we view it will depend on if Jackson becomes a reliable starter either at CB or S and if the WRs provide a reliable starter and some depth. If that happens, then you will have gotten 3 starters from the draft and that would be average. The 2019 off-season will likely be his most important. A draft with more than the usual amount of ammo, a coach to help hire, some big decisions to make on veterans, and a bunch more CAP room than we are used to for possible free agent signings.

Lastly, the Mack deal. Who knows what to make of that. I think a deal and signing could have been made, but the cost might not have fit with the Packers plans once the price began to go up. Effectively, the Raiders got a pair of firsts, that were "expected" to be better than the Packers picks. To make the deal Gute would have needed to give up two 1st rounders and likely a second, retarding your ability to find younger starters and depth to put around your playmakers. On top of that you'd have effectively shut down free agency for a couple of years. Gute might have felt it would trap the team in high level mediocrity for years - make the playoffs but exit early (unless you can consistently hit on lower picks).

Had a comment, but then I realized you're talking about the future, not the run since 2010. :)

Gutekunst will never be the real GM in GB. He's always going to be Murphy's errand boy. Any guy who wants to be head coach in Green Bay had better understand that he's walking into a front office mess that won't be straightened out during his tenure on the sideline because a new President, and GM, will want to go after their own coaching staff.

I will also add to the signing of Graham. Seattle had Bevell as OC. The guy that made perhaps the worst call in SB history. Lynch was dragging 4 or 5 guys, 4 and 5 yards down the field every carry. NE could NOT tackle the guy! You have an absolute jackhammer of a RB and decide to throw a pass to the middle of a defense that is stacked to stop the run??? Beyond stupid and ridiculous.

If I was GM, I also would have reasoned that Bevell was too inept to figure out how to utilize Graham and I would have signed him too. I would have thought Graham would have been super excited to play with a QB like Rodgers and had a renewed zeal for the game. Plus GB needed a red zone target besides Adams. I can’t fault Gute for that one at all.

Now, the Randall situation does bother me. GB was hurting at Safety and that is Randall’s natural position. Did not agree with that one at all. Gute got fleeced on that one. Happens to all GMs and I do think McCarthy played a huge role.

Lynch was stuffed on every short yardage play in the Superbowl. He dragged players when the Pat's thought Seattle might pass.

The pass was a good call.

A defensive back paid attention to his coaches, recognized Seattle's formation and probable play, and made a tremendous break on the ball.

Gutekunst will never be the real GM in GB. He's always going to be Murphy's errand boy. Any guy who wants to be head coach in Green Bay had better understand that he's walking into a front office mess that won't be straightened out during his tenure on the sideline because a new President, and GM, will want to go after their own coaching staff.

This appears to be likely which will be bad

Lynch was stuffed on every short yardage play in the Superbowl. He dragged players when the Pat's thought Seattle might pass.

The pass was a good call.

A defensive back paid attention to his coaches, recognized Seattle's formation and probable play, and made a tremendous break on the ball.
And 9 out of 10 times that pass gets knocked down not intercepted. That was just a phenomenal play .... And the right call by Bevel

Back