Packers Fire Mike McCarthy & named Joe Philbin interim head coach

I'm old school. I played old school, coached old school, and hold people involved in the game today to the same standard. You either reach for the top, or get the hell out of the way, because there's always someone out there who will put the pieces together and move the franchise forward. The Packers have thrived on coming back from adversity, and the "family" bit is nice shtick, but it's not the way corporate businesses operate in the 21st century.

You're either useful to the Packers, or it's adios! Players leave for more money. Players are cut from the team because of money. Players are also sent packing if they don't act the way the team wants, or don't have the personality or ability, to complement the rest of the team. It's rare seeing any pro athlete in any sport, do their whole career in one place.

Coaches live in 4 to 5 year cycles. You get so long to build, or rebuild the team, and if you aren't getting it done, you're gone. If you look at the W/L percentage of McCarthy you're going to say it's great. I don't agree. If you win the majority of your games, yet can't win the biggest ones you play, year after year, you've obviously left way too much on the table, because your team was good enough to get there.

Today Philbin ran the team. He has 3 more weeks. Even if they blow people out the next three weeks, I wouldn't see him as the savior of the Packers. Now, if the new head coach thought about bringing him in as the offensive coordinator, I might consider that possible, but Joe is definitely not the guy to head the whole show. On defense, I'll let that go to Mark, and others, who spent more team identifying with defenses. If it was my choice, I'd jettison the 3-4 and go to a 4-3, and get rid of those guys who can't play in that defense. You gotta move forward, or you're doomed to repeat the past.

First MM wants to get back coaching asap. So wouldn't worry about him sitting out.

Philbin didn't wave a magic wand and instantly improve this team. Some of the plays called yesterday, MM had called and either AR changed the play or didn't execute them.

AR looked washed up or hurt last week and other stars looked like crap too against AZ and this week, they all look like former selves?

Not buying it. Haven't seen CM3 play a game like yesterday in a long time. Cobb all of a sudden is blocking well and making catches?

As for Graham, that tore up thumb if it's that bad should maybe sit out then rest of year.

As a side note: Was great to see Defense can still win games. Bears holding Rams to under 20 points was remarkable!

Don't think in modern era have ever seen the Defense come in and play Offense.

Back