Packers Fire Mike McCarthy & named Joe Philbin interim head coach

Agree Bud.....There are a lot ore than the younger fans who wanted change. The roster is not as bad as a lot think, and with a new coach, it will take a year or 2 just because of new systems being installed. I stand by McCarthy being the lions share of the problem over the last 5 years or so. They waited to long to get rid of him.

The bigger take is the chance of him sitting out in 2019 which would not be ideal from a financial perspective organization wise. And the last item on Seattle is interesting

If I am MM and getting 5+ million a year for 2019 why not sit out unless the job I want comes a calling. I could see the Ravens job as interesting as you have a young QB who is developing and enough pieces you could be in the playoffs right away.

If I am MM and getting 5+ million a year for 2019 why not sit out unless the job I want comes a calling. I could see the Ravens job as interesting as you have a young QB who is developing and enough pieces you could be in the playoffs right away.
Carolina is a much better job than Baltimore.

I am not high on Cam Newton guy is another diva and don't think he's as great as people make him to be.
Diva or not his stats are fine and they have more pieces on both sides of ball than Baltimore. The issue in Carolina is the OL. And personally I like the ownership better in Carolina.

Bud to clarify I think the young crowd has unrealistic expectations. Was a change needed yes but to think a change will get this to 12-4 and a deep playoff run is not happening And what is mediocrity? Missing the SB? Deep playoff run? NOLA went 7-9 three straight years and look where they are now. It’s like any sport you are paid to win now. I get it. And it’s easier to can one guy than to roll over a roster. So many fans think McCarthy was the problem and a new coach and staff is the silver bullet. Let’s see where the blame is in 3-4 years with the same pattern of mediocrity

I didn't mean to single you out, it was just that you mentioned it and I just wanted to comment on it. I tend to agree with you. My point was more along the lines of when do you pull the trigger? NOLA had the opportunity to reload with those 7-9 years. You've even mentioned that the talent level has been depleted. Should Murphy and Gutey recognized that it wasn't MM and more of a TT thing? That would have inadvertently pointed the finger at them as Murphy should have recognized it earlier.

I totally get what you're saying and I agree. Time will tell if it was the right move to move on from MM now or give him the leeway, as NOLA did with Payton, to get this team righted. I'm not gonna sit back and in 3-4 years use revisionist history to claim that I backed MM. I'm ready and willing to say right now that it was time to move on. I'm not saying it was all his fault. I'm not saying he's a bad coach. He's obviously a highly successful coach and I'm sure he'll be HCing a team in the near future. I am saying that this team has deep issues and I do believe MM played a role in it. Jury is also still out on Gutey and we'll see how Murphy's legacy is cemented. We may sit back in 3 to 4 years and say that we got rid of the wrong man in MM. That Murphy and Gutey were the ones that needed to go but what about the board? Where's their culpability and why isn't there decision making being questioned more?

It's alll about relevancy. Does MM have the confidence to sit out a year and hold tight that he'll remain relavent in the league. It's moving fast and some here believe his concepts have been predictable. Again, we're not personel or front office people and it sounds like MM would have plenty of opportunity. Personally, I hope he gets another job because I would love to see how he fares with another teams roster.

As far as a new HC goes, promoting from within, shuffling titles and inventing titles have not worked for us. We need fresh leadership from outside of GB - we've had enough of them trying to do things the easy way.

Back