Packers Fire Mike McCarthy & named Joe Philbin interim head coach

I guess we can agree to disagree. Anytime you fire someone, you can think it is done respectfully but you are still firing someone and taking their job away from them and their family. Cannot be done.

I understand your point with Murphy. And I am worried about that piece. My point was disrespecting MM was bogus and that is what the article was titled. Should we give Matthews another contract until he can retire just to try to be respectful? Players get cut all the time. We let go of Monty and Whitehead mid season. Did anyone say that was disrespectful?

Ok, I am done now. :)

For the life of me, the only advantage I can see for the Packers firing McCarthy when they did would be to lift some of the pressure off Murphy for the next month.

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!!!

McGinn never says that MM shouldn't have been fired. Many of us agree it is time. He just says the way they went about it was classless. And I agree. There really is no advantage to firing him now, except as McGinn says, to take some pressure off Murphy. I suspect this was Murphy flying off the handle, sort of panicking, and making a rash decision Sunday night. That by and large blew up in his face. The team gave MM a standing ovation after all and the Packers have been blasted by the media. Because in reality it completely trashes the whole "packer people, packers are different" facade.

There is some truth to Murphy wanting an early start to new HC.. Why? Because as Mark said he obviously has no short list. he hasn't done the groundwork yet. Murphy needs all the time he can to ramp up the search, or if this article is correct, to pay someone else to do it. Because I am sure there are members of the BOD asking what his plan is, who is on the short list, and how he plans to move forward. Firing MM now makes it look like he's taking action.

Mike McCarthy can be argued as the second greatest head coach the packers ever had. Some put Holmgren ahead of him sure. That is why he gets different treatment than Monty and Whitehead and Dix... Because the role of an HC in a successful organization is far more important and integral to the team than a backup RB/WR or Safety. ;) tc(tc(sb(

But Philly had a great D last year and Pats always have a decent D and are coached to be assignment sure. Also Pats find players....drafted, free agents that fit and buy in.

The thing that always impresses about NE is that even when their guys aren't the most talented they are solid in their assignments and are hardly ever out of position. They may get beat, but they are solid in assignment.

I said as soon as the firing happened that I would’ve waited until after the season to do it, but geez Louise, McGinn’s pearl clutching is too much, almost laughable.

Ego plus I am telling you straight up Casserly is involved in it up to his eyeballs

Casserly is Murphy's hero. He thinks he knows more about football, philosophy, and management, than anyone else in history. When he talks about him, he bows in the direction Casserly lives. If he has 3 kids they'd be named Charles, Charley, and Charlene!

I'll tell you all something that is very evident over the past 48 hours and it's not directed at any members here at all but in general Green bay has done a disservice holding on to MM/TT too long. This fan base is having a really hard time with change in general.

I think much of that is no many fans have never experienced losing over an extended period. They grew up with Favre and Rodgers, have never had to endure delGazo or Tagge. 13-3 is expected each year in a league where a down year or 2 should be excepted. The new guy is going to get such a short leash from the fan base unless we contend right away with his in many ways unlrealistic

I'll tell you all something that is very evident over the past 48 hours and it's not directed at any members here at all but in general Green bay has done a disservice holding on to MM/TT too long. This fan base is having a really hard time with change in general.

I think it's the old guard that is having trouble. Personally, I have no problem with it. I grew up through the 70s and 80s. I don't want it to get to that point. Packinatl thinks it's the young crowd who is clamoring for change but I'm there with them. I understand it's hard to win in this league but is that an excuse to keep McCarthy and stay with mediocrity and stay with the status quo?

It's not going to be easy and expectations need to be tempered but change was needed throughout the infrastructure. I'm not saying talent is totally devoid but it has definitely taken a nose dive the past few years and that falls on the front office.

Last edited:
I think it's the old guard that is having trouble. Personally, I have no problem with it. I grew up through the 70s and 80s. I don't want it to get to that point. Packinatl thinks it's the young crowd who is clamoring for change but I'm there with them. I understand it's hard to win in this league but is that an excuse to keep McCarthy and stay with mediocrity and stay with the status quo?

It's not going to be easy and expectations need to be tempered but change was needed throughout the infrastructure. I'm not say talent is devoid but it has definitely taken a nose dive the past few years and that falls on the front office.
Bud to clarify I think the young crowd has unrealistic expectations. Was a change needed yes but to think a change will get this to 12-4 and a deep playoff run is not happening And what is mediocrity? Missing the SB? Deep playoff run? NOLA went 7-9 three straight years and look where they are now. It’s like any sport you are paid to win now. I get it. And it’s easier to can one guy than to roll over a roster. So many fans think McCarthy was the problem and a new coach and staff is the silver bullet. Let’s see where the blame is in 3-4 years with the same pattern of mediocrity

Back