Official 2016 Packers Training Camp Thread

Early WR group thoughts, based on MM comments and week 1 of camp:

Sounds like MM wants to keep 6 max. Cobb's not going anywhere, Adams hasn't been great so far but he's a 2nd rounder so he isn't either. Janis has struggled. Abbredaris is shining so far, and the rookie Davis has done OK. Jordy and Monty on PUP.

I wonder if they keep 6, open the season with Montgomery on PUP and make a roster decision down the road when spots open up inevitably due to injury. This is assuming Janis continues to shine in the Jarrett Bush role - ST gunner, spot contributor otherwise. There's a place for a guy like that on every team IMO. If his play falls off on ST then he's looking like a cut.

I don't see monty playing anytime soon... if the whole season. There is something funky going on there

Nelson and cobb are locks

Adams should be safe unless he completely flops over the next month. He makes plays just moves like molasses and can't seperate.

Davis is safe. Drafted this year and shined so far. I'd say he's done way better then ok. Has the speed we need for a true deep threat. He will fine tune his skills

Janis should be OK bc of teams play and his big play ability. Man I wish the light would go on for him

Abby is on the bubble but only bc he has to prove he can stay healthy. If he does I can't see them letting him go and rolling with 6 wrs. We have carried 4 tes and 2 fbs in the past. 6 WR's isn't too crazy

I think it's way too early to know how anything pans out. Abby is destroying everyone at SE and Flanker over 4 practices. I think ST is being overstated because as camp wears on and injuries happen that's were the numbers get crunched.

Monty more then likely is on PUP starting out for 8 weeks. Nelson, Cobb, Adams , Janis, Abby and Davis start out the season on the roster would be my guess.Again it's way early.

Last edited:
It's hard to get a great sense with media so limited in what they can write and record, but sounds like so far Abby has been on the same page as AR more than any receiver so far in camp, and we all know how much that counts with AR and staff.

It's hard to get a great sense with media so limited in what they can write and record, but sounds like so far Abby has been on the same page as AR more than any receiver so far in camp, and we all know how much that counts with AR and staff.

davis has also shown more than most of the others. davis could very well turn out to be exactly what this team needs.

I don't see monty playing anytime soon... if the whole season. There is something funky going on there

Nelson and cobb are locks

Adams should be safe unless he completely flops over the next month. He makes plays just moves like molasses and can't seperate.

Davis is safe. Drafted this year and shined so far. I'd say he's done way better then ok. Has the speed we need for a true deep threat. He will fine tune his skills

Janis should be OK bc of teams play and his big play ability. Man I wish the light would go on for him

Abby is on the bubble but only bc he has to prove he can stay healthy. If he does I can't see them letting him go and rolling with 6 wrs. We have carried 4 tes and 2 fbs in the past. 6 WR's isn't too crazy
Keep posting man.

Janis is a lock also because of that "gunner" thing he does on special team plays. Think about how many times we saw him run down the field so fast on punt plays which caused the opposition to call for a fair catch. Eliminating the threat of a run back on a punt is very valuable.

Keep posting man.

Janis is a lock also because of that "gunner" thing he does on special team plays. Think about how many times we saw him run down the field so fast on punt plays which caused the opposition to call for a fair catch. Eliminating the threat of a run back on a punt is very valuable.

Not when your short an OL that can protect your franchise QB or DB. GB puts more stock historically in DB that can play ST then WR. Again numbers crunch that comes down to need not want.

Not when your short an OL that can protect your franchise QB or DB. GB puts more stock historically in DB that can play ST then WR. Again numbers crunch that comes down to need not want.
Consider our season ended last season on a Special Teams blunder. Last season Coach Zook improved the unit from the crap show we saw in 2014. Many of the players such as Chris Banjo make a living on special teams - he led the unit with 21 tackles and is the unit's Captain. As you know many of these players serve on special teams while remaining as backups in case of injuries. Banjo is a safety who could perhaps fill in if the likes of Clinton Dix was hurt.

"Janis developed into one of the league’s top punt gunners, using his speed and strength to get in the return man’s face often. Opponents began employing multiple players to keep him at bay."

Here's a half decent article on our current special teams: "Packers' special teams remain on the rise"

Early WR group thoughts, based on MM comments and week 1 of camp:

Sounds like MM wants to keep 6 max. Cobb's not going anywhere, Adams hasn't been great so far but he's a 2nd rounder so he isn't either. Janis has struggled. Abbredaris is shining so far, and the rookie Davis has done OK. Jordy and Monty on PUP.

I wonder if they keep 6, open the season with Montgomery on PUP and make a roster decision down the road when spots open up inevitably due to injury. This is assuming Janis continues to shine in the Jarrett Bush role - ST gunner, spot contributor otherwise. There's a place for a guy like that on every team IMO. If his play falls off on ST then he's looking like a cut.

I agree, Jeff is a stud on ST so even if he continues to struggle at WR he should still make the final 53 in that Jarrett Bush role.

not sure whether i understand your response, mark. how many offensive linemen and how many defensive backs do you think should be on the final roster? if we're talking about "historically", the packers have gone into the season with only 7 offensive linemen in the past. that's crazy, in my opinion. but i think nine is a good number. and it is very possible to do nine ol and seven wr without having any impact on the number of dbs that we keep.

Back