Next Badgers Football Coach

Mark's right. Lance is not out of reach salary wise. He is probably the best option on the table as well. He is a program builder. Right now, that's exactly what the Badgers need.

The biggest coup would be if Lance got the job, and could convince Jim Leonhard to stay on, as the defensive coordinator. It would make me as happy as a lark if Jim announced he was not interested in the HC job at this time, and is happy in his role. I think that tandem would be amazing.

I'd really enjoy seeing Lance's offense at Wisconsin. It would feature the run, but there would be a lot of opportunities to pass as well, for a QB who can hit his marks.

Mark's right. Lance is not out of reach salary wise. He is probably the best option on the table as well. He is a program builder. Right now, that's exactly what the Badgers need.

The biggest coup would be if Lance got the job, and could convince Jim Leonhard to stay on, as the defensive coordinator. It would make me as happy as a lark if Jim announced he was not interested in the HC job at this time, and is happy in his role. I think that tandem would be amazing.

I'd really enjoy seeing Lance's offense at Wisconsin. It would feature the run, but there would be a lot of opportunities to pass as well, for a QB who can hit his marks.
Only issue I have is he would be knocking on the door of 60 years old. How long does he want to keep coaching for and how well would he be able to recruit kids. Would kids want to come to UW to play for that old of coach or would they be attracted to a younger coach who could maybe relate to them more?

Only issue I have is he would be knocking on the door of 60 years old. How long does he want to keep coaching for and how well would he be able to recruit kids. Would kids want to come to UW to play for that old of coach or would they be attracted to a younger coach who could maybe relate to them more?
Ask the kids that go to Alabama.... Saban is 70. Besides it's your recruiting staff that does the leg work, something PC and company never understood.

Ask the kids that go to Alabama.... Saban is 70. Besides it's your recruiting staff that does the leg work, something PC and company never understood.
Though Saban is winning national titles and putting players into the NFL. UW to Bama is Apples to Oranges.

Leipold's age is a non-factor in itself. The kids care about getting coached and winning. Very few give a damn if the coach is an "old-guy". I also don't think it factors into recruiting.

The only factor from an age perspective is whether you think he's thinking about not doing this much longer. I don't know him well enough to know how he's wired in that regard. You'd like to hire a guy with at least an 8-10 year window and I believe Leipold is up for that, but I can't say for sure. From that perspective I'd like a younger guy, but i would have no real reservations about hiring Liepold. The guy can flat-out coach and build a program and his age doesn't change that.

Not a popular take but this program does not need a “program builder”. It need someone who can recognize how the portal and NIL impact a program. The Emperor has said many times it’s harder to maintain a program than to build one. I have no doubt Leipold can coach, but can he recruit at a high level

Kansas 2022 class was ranked #67, that’s his first full cycle to bring in a class. Of that class no kids above 3 stars. Ok I get “stars” are subjective but it’s a data point. The 2023 class is now at #73.

Again I 100% believe he can flat out coach but the game now is much more than that

Not a popular take but this program does not need a “program builder”. It need someone who can recognize how the portal and NIL impact a program. The Emperor has said many times it’s harder to maintain a program than to build one. I have no doubt Leipold can coach, but can he recruit at a high level

Kansas 2022 class was ranked #67, that’s his first full cycle to bring in a class. Of that class no kids above 3 stars. Ok I get “stars” are subjective but it’s a data point. The 2023 class is now at #73.

Again I 100% believe he can flat out coach but the game now is much more than that
Bring in the ragin Cajun Ed Orgeron he can recruit :)

Back