Next Badgers Football Coach

I agree with this except for opening up the offense. Purdue, Nebraska both got away from their identity and it’s not been successful. Wisconsin will forever be challenged to bring in WR and QB’s to run a more uptempo system. Sure they might throw it more but even under Russ it was never wide open.
I said open it up, not turn it into an air raid offense. It's obvious that the passing game has been neglected because they either don't trust their receivers, their QBs, both, or are just plain a little too run-centric. In any case, I expect that a team under Leonhard would be looking for a portal QB who can throw the ball more, and possibly a WR or two through the portal, who can stretch the field, and make the passing game better. In no way does that suggest abandoning the run game.

I also see them looking to upgrade the offensive line, by getting better prospects on board, instead of waiting for the low hanging fruit that falls into their lap. They're going to recruit. The same applies to skill positions. Recruit.

As for the recruiting budget? I doubt very much that Leonhard is interested in running a program that doesn't sink it's teeth into better recruiting, which I'd imagine McIntosh will agree with. I think they'll do what it takes to move forward, and not end up falling further behind, like they have over the last few years.

Is it a culture shift? I don't know. I do think it's at least a new objective. I remember when Barry first took over in Wisconsin. I remember the visits we had for our Son, whom they were interested in. My Son had over a dozen schools visit, and Wisconsin was not his choice. In hindsight, I wish it had been. But, that's water under the bridge. They were very active, and had a plan. Over the years, it turned into complacency. I saw it, first hand, with the recruiting of my own Son, and later, with the recruiting of my Brother's Grandson. It was like night and day. The oomph was gone. They just didn't have the plan that was needed to sign him. He too chose another DI school. That's all I intend sharing about both of these situations. Period. Our private lives shall remain private.

I said open it up, not turn it into an air raid offense. It's obvious that the passing game has been neglected because they either don't trust their receivers, their QBs, both, or are just plain a little too run-centric. In any case, I expect that a team under Leonhard would be looking for a portal QB who can throw the ball more, and possibly a WR or two through the portal, who can stretch the field, and make the passing game better. In no way does that suggest abandoning the run game.

I also see them looking to upgrade the offensive line, by getting better prospects on board, instead of waiting for the low hanging fruit that falls into their lap. They're going to recruit. The same applies to skill positions. Recruit.

As for the recruiting budget? I doubt very much that Leonhard is interested in running a program that doesn't sink it's teeth into better recruiting, which I'd imagine McIntosh will agree with. I think they'll do what it takes to move forward, and not end up falling further behind, like they have over the last few years.

Is it a culture shift? I don't know. I do think it's at least a new objective. I remember when Barry first took over in Wisconsin. I remember the visits we had for our Son, whom they were interested in. My Son had over a dozen schools visit, and Wisconsin was not his choice. In hindsight, I wish it had been. But, that's water under the bridge. They were very active, and had a plan. Over the years, it turned into complacency. I saw it, first hand, with the recruiting of my own Son, and later, with the recruiting of my Brother's Grandson. It was like night and day. The oomph was gone. They just didn't have the plan that was needed to sign him. He too chose another DI school. That's all I intend sharing about both of these situations. Period. Our private lives shall remain private.
UW OL has recruited well at OL. Brunner 4 star , Logan Brown 5 Star , Rucci 5 Star , Benzchawel 4 star, Wedig 4 Star , Nelson 4 Star , Tippman 4 star. So not sure how much recruiting upgrade you’re going to get. It’s not like they only get 3 star kids and develop. Now then the question is development and Joe R clearly was an issue. I give you Logan Brown as a prime example.

As to QB and WR while I would like to see upgrades at WR, for multiple reasons don’t see it. The recruiting budget issue is on McIntosh and the powers above him. The commitment by the administration to athletics is not what it was under Donna S & Richter.

UW OL has recruited well at OL. Brunner 4 star , Logan Brown 5 Star , Rucci 5 Star , Benzchawel 4 star, Wedig 4 Star , Nelson 4 Star , Tippman 4 star. So not sure how much recruiting upgrade you’re going to get. It’s not like they only get 3 star kids and develop. Now then the question is development and Joe R clearly was an issue. I give you Logan Brown as a prime example.

As to QB and WR while I would like to see upgrades at WR, for multiple reasons don’t see it. The recruiting budget issue is on McIntosh and the powers above him. The commitment by the administration to athletics is not what it was under Donna S & Richter.
I thought we all agreed that the "stars" don't mean that much? The objective is to find kids who can do the job, forget the star rating system. I'm talking about the high powered offensive linemen that we're losing over the last couple of years. That's where they need to improve their focus.

To reiterate, I don't give a hang about the stars. I've seen 4 star and 5 star kids fail, and kids who walk on, like Leonhard, become impact players. Granted, the percentages aren't great, but there was a time with the Badgers that they found those diamonds in the rough, and made them something special. That magic disappeared, and that I place on the shoulders of recruiting.

You can't afford to lose the people who do the best job recruiting. You need dynamic people on the job. That includes scouting, to ferret out the best. Costs money.

I thought we all agreed that the "stars" don't mean that much? The objective is to find kids who can do the job, forget the star rating system. I'm talking about the high powered offensive linemen that we're losing over the last couple of years. That's where they need to improve their focus.

To reiterate, I don't give a hang about the stars. I've seen 4 star and 5 star kids fail, and kids who walk on, like Leonhard, become impact players. Granted, the percentages aren't great, but there was a time with the Badgers that they found those diamonds in the rough, and made them something special. That magic disappeared, and that I place on the shoulders of recruiting.

You can't afford to lose the people who do the best job recruiting. You need dynamic people on the job. That includes scouting, to ferret out the best. Costs money.
I believe that had as much to do with coaching / development as anything else. Bostad was an outstanding OL coach who developed talent, Rudolph not so much and to be candid that’s one of PC’s biggest failures.

I get the “star” debate and it’s valid, but then there is side that says “if you want to play OL in the NFL go to Wisconsin”. 7 kids with the rankings they had should not be as pedestrian as they look

Curious, why?
Because that's too easy, your terminating a guy with PC overall record mid-season to protect Jimmy? That's Red and White podo( If he truly expects better results...CHAMPIONSHIP results than hiring your homer favorite DC isn't the move IMHO.
To be blunt if he DID fire PC just to protect Jimmy then UW will most likely decline further... Jim will resign or get fired AND we lost an opportunity to make UW better. My personal take.

* note that isn't saying Jim L isn't a good coach but he has zero HC experience going into a power 5 team that needs a lot of work.

FlaPack NOT SO FAST!!

The Wisconsin Badgers are targeting Kansas' Lance Leipold as their next coach, according to 247Sports’ Blake Brockermeyer. Wisconsin fired Paul Chryst Sunday following the Badgers’ 34-10 loss to Illinois, which dropped them to 2-3 on the season. During a recent episode of The Block, Brockermeyer explained why Wisconsin is after Leipold.

“What I’ve been hearing is that Wisconsin is going to target Kansas coach Lance Leipold as their next coach and I think that has a lot to do with it,” Brockermeyer said. “They want to get on board with him as quick as they can, obviously the turnaround he’s done at Kansas has been amazing. He’s got a ton of Wisconsin ties, he’s won there, he’s coached there. That is what I’m hearing right now, they want to get ahead of Nebraska and get the ball rolling on him as soon as possible.”

Back