Matt L

realitybytes

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
i'm sure that when matt lafleur was hired, one of his major goals was to re-establish the packers' dominance over division opponents. it certainly seems that he is well on his way to checking off that goal. in his first season, the packers were 6-0 versus division opponents. and now he has bested the vikings three straight games. his team is 7-0 against division foes. and here is a look at the last 14 drives against the defensive genius of mike zimmer:

mlf is such a breath of fresh air after the staleness of mike mccarthy.

Breath of fresh air, indeed!

But defensively....that’s another story. I know they only allowed 10 points through 3 quarters and most of Minny’s scores were ‘garbage time’. ML also had a bunch of non-starters in the game in the 2nd half.

However, this tendency to let off after a big lead is hard to watch...for years now! Some of the Viking’s drives were ridiculously easy. I thought prevent D was to keep the offense in front of you and burn up the clock?! I hope against hope Pettine and Lafleur learn from this. But I’m just not getting that vibe. sb(

Breath of fresh air, indeed!

But defensively....that’s another story. I know they only allowed 10 points through 3 quarters and most of Minny’s scores were ‘garbage time’. ML also had a bunch of non-starters in the game in the 2nd half.

However, this tendency to let off after a big lead is hard to watch...for years now! Some of the Viking’s drives were ridiculously easy. I thought prevent D was to keep the offense in front of you and burn up the clock?! I hope against hope Pettine and Lafleur learn from this. But I’m just not getting that vibe. sb(

Agreed. Another thing that is talked a lot about is culture. How about creating a culture to where you want your defense to dominate from start to finish? Why let off the gas?

What good is playing prevent when it's not preventing anything? Why not just line up and let the dogs loose and if it results in a big chunk play then so be it. It would be the same result as they are getting with the soft prevent that they are playing now. It's frustrating. Just demoralize the opposing team by playing oppressive D until the final whistle. Set a tone. Change the culture.

Last edited:
Agreed. Another thing that is talked a lot about is culture. How about creating a culture to where you want your defense to dominate from start to finish? Why let off the gas?

What good is playing prevent when it's not preventing anything? Why not just line up and let the dogs loose and if it results in a big chunk play then so be it. It's would be the same result as they are getting with the soft prevent that they are playing now. It's frustrating. Just demoralize the opposing team by playing oppressive D until the final whistle. Set a tone. Change the culture.
Could not possibly agree more. Well said, Bud! thumbsup

What good is playing prevent when it's not preventing anything? Why not just line up and let the dogs loose and if it results in a big chunk play then so be it. It's would be the same result as they are getting with the soft prevent that they are playing now. It's frustrating. Just demoralize the opposing team by playing oppressive D until the final whistle. Set a tone. Change the culture.
Because for years the talent level has not been there. Only 2 guys (Smiths) are the only difference makers are the roster on the defensive side of the ball, we are not built to dominate from start to finish. Sure some is scheme, talent fit might be better on a 4-3 but thats a whole different discussion. And with a bigger emphasis on running the ball the clock is your friend.

Could not possibly agree more. Well said, Bud! thumbsup

Agreed. We play prevent like Swiss Cheese. Who cares if we give up a chunk playing regular D, we're giving up bigger chunks than we're supposed to in prevent. Regular D even with subs going hard could provide learning experiences for later.

Because for years the talent level has not been there. Only 2 guys (Smiths) are the only difference makers are the roster on the defensive side of the ball, we are not built to dominate from start to finish. Sure some is scheme, talent fit might be better on a 4-3 but thats a whole different discussion. And with a bigger emphasis on running the ball the clock is your friend.

I get all that and agree with most of it but I'm talking about a culture change. Go after the offenses like it's the 1st quarter because what do you have to lose? Your prevent isn't preventing anything. Just play your regular D and attack. The soft coverage and keep things in front is not working very well, imo. You would be no worse for wear if you just called your regular defense and roll with the results.

Agreed. We play prevent like Swiss Cheese. Who cares if we give up a chunk playing regular D, we're giving up bigger chunks than we're supposed to in prevent. Regular D even with subs going hard could provide learning experiences for later.

My point exactly. Regardless of talent.

Back