Joe Rudolph to Virginia Tech

Well since you asked might I suggest Randy Hedberg>>
Hedberg has one heckuva resume there. It's the kind that says to a young QB that he could turn you into an NFL QB, if you listen, and do the work. It could also send a message to young receivers, who are on the edge of greatness, that the Badger offense is going to showcase their skills as well as the run.

A couple of reasons he might not be willing to join the Badgers. He's 67 years old, and is a North Dakota native. He may be figuring on this being his final stop before retiring.

With those credentials, he'd be an excellent choice, despite the age issue. Which brings up another issue. Isn't there a mandatory retirement age associated with the University?

Hedberg has one heckuva resume there. It's the kind that says to a young QB that he could turn you into an NFL QB, if you listen, and do the work. It could also send a message to young receivers, who are on the edge of greatness, that the Badger offense is going to showcase their skills as well as the run.

A couple of reasons he might not be willing to join the Badgers. He's 67 years old, and is a North Dakota native. He may be figuring on this being his final stop before retiring.

With those credentials, he'd be an excellent choice, despite the age issue. Which brings up another issue. Isn't there a mandatory retirement age associated with the University?
If he's that old yeah I can't see him moving to new job got fo figure he will retire real soon anyways.

Paper this morning mentioned that Chryst is planning to meet with Bostad about moving to offense and coaching the OL - probably along with other responsibilities and another title.

Hedberg would be a very good hire. His age could make it go either way. He could see it as "one last chance" at a bigger P-5 program and a few bigger paychecks before he retires . . . OR . . . he might just be happy and settled in at North Dakota St where he's at home and comfortable and likely planning for his exit/retirement from coaching.

I don’t believe the UW System has a mandatory retirement age.

I don’t believe the UW System has a mandatory retirement age.
You're right. It is gone, from what I see. Maybe in 1994? But the enigma of age still continues. They treated the coaches the same as their academics in that area if I recall correctly.

Just a thought, but maybe it's time to go with younger guys and go after a guy with good ideas who hasn't been given a shot before bringing in a 67 year old?

Even if it's only for looks.

I could be wrong and frequently am, but I doubt a 67 year old is going to help recruiting.

Just a thought, but maybe it's time to go with younger guys and go after a guy with good ideas who hasn't been given a shot before bringing in a 67 year old?

Even if it's only for looks.

I could be wrong and frequently am, but I doubt a 67 year old is going to help recruiting.

That is certainly a valid consideration. I'm not sure what his recruiting chops are. On the surface it seems he might not be a great recruiter for UW but there are other teams who have older veteran coaches on board who may not be asked to do a lot as primary recruiters. Not sure if that would work for UW or not. I am mostly thinking of him as a coach but you may well be right that they may need a better fit from a recruiting perspective.

Even if he's not the recruiter, bringing in the 67 year old might be seen as going further back into the stone ages than we are already perceived to be.

I'm not saying I believe this, but, just saying - look at the kids these days.

Somebody we think is great, they may not listen too because he's old

Last edited:
Even if he's not the recruiter, bringing in the 67 year old might be seen as going further back into the stone ages than we are already perceived to be.

Nick Saban is 70. Mike Hankwitz was the defensive coordinator at Northwestern until he was 72. Kirk Ferentz at 67 just had a nice season at Iowa. Not saying these are 1 to 1 comparisons but I think kids can be coached by whomever they see is helping them win, become a better player, and help their career.

His recent success in producing NFL quarterbacks (and very high picks at that) suggests he doesn’t think/coach like a Neanderthal.

Back