HAPPY NIL DAY

Thing is too many people are confusing NIL with “pay for play”. While Alston v NCAA opened the door to address pay for play it only gave athletes a partial win. There is a case pending in Pennsylvania that seeks to sue to make student athletes employees and allow them compensation. Briefs are due I think today but the reality is if they allow it do go forward it will be appealed so it’s not something that changes anytime soon. And one state is not going to disrupt the ecosystem.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be before someone goes on to challenge scholarships, stating that they too should be considered "pay." After all, a $60k on up scholarship per year, ain't a pittance, is it? Then there's the perks that go with it.

Then there are walk on players who end up being "sponsored" by alumni, and their businesses, because they want them to go to their alma mater.

If that happens, would athletes then be required to pay taxes against it and the NIL money as if it was all just "a job?"

Lots of "what ifs" out there, and we're going to be hearing about them for a long time I'm afraid. As for the players? I think there should be some money for them to live. But, at what level do we start realizing that a scholarship is a damned valuable thing for a kid to get as "payment" for play?

In my #2 son's case, back 20+ years ago, we estimated the value at a minimum of $45-50k a year. When all was said and done, it was definitely over a $200k value!

Thing is too many people are confusing NIL with “pay for play”. While Alston v NCAA opened the door to address pay for play it only gave athletes a partial win. There is a case pending in Pennsylvania that seeks to sue to make student athletes employees and allow them compensation. Briefs are due I think today but the reality is if they allow it do go forward it will be appealed so it’s not something that changes anytime soon. And one state is not going to disrupt the ecosystem.
Question on this if they become employees will they then have to pay tax on their scholarships?

I wonder how long it will be before someone goes on to challenge scholarships, stating that they too should be considered "pay." After all, a $60k on up scholarship per year, ain't a pittance, is it? Then there's the perks that go with it.

Then there are walk on players who end up being "sponsored" by alumni, and their businesses, because they want them to go to their alma mater.

If that happens, would athletes then be required to pay taxes against it and the NIL money as if it was all just "a job?"

Lots of "what ifs" out there, and we're going to be hearing about them for a long time I'm afraid. As for the players? I think there should be some money for them to live. But, at what level do we start realizing that a scholarship is a damned valuable thing for a kid to get as "payment" for play?

In my #2 son's case, back 20+ years ago, we estimated the value at a minimum of $45-50k a year. When all was said and done, it was definitely over a $200k value!
Oh I think that would be a battle because I think people will say ok if you want be a paid employee your scholarship will count as income and scholarships players will fight to have it exempt.

I doubt the Feds (congress / Senate) get involved to change tax code on a federal level. Now the state level is a separate question

As to NIL money, thats a 1099 form and in some states like Florida its held in escrow

Oh I think that would be a battle because I think people will say ok if you want be a paid employee your scholarship will count as income and scholarships players will fight to have it exempt.
feds wont mess with the tax code on this, too much a political football, pardon the pun

feds wont mess with the tax code on this, too much a political football, pardon the pun
Yeah this will be a very very messy situation if anything ever happens.

Back