Greg Gard and team unrest

TW

Reaction score
Pack - In response to your statement that Gard cried during the meeting this year, not last year, I'm giving you this excerpt that was taken from the tapes. Like I said, he actually cried both years. The fact remains, when he lost King, he changed his way, then reverted back to what the players found caused the disconnect.

Potter referenced the 2019-20 season as well, alluding to the fact Gard had changed his approach after King’s departure but returned to his old ways this past season.

“Ultimately coach, we just want the guy that came to us last year and apologized in tears,” Potter said. “I’m not saying you have to cry and apologize. But that was honestly the biggest turning point last year. We felt, ‘Wow, we can play for this guy, we can relate to this guy.’”

I bring this up because I could see players going backwards, not progressing. That's always concerning, because it indicates something is causing them to lose confidence. As you well know, having played basketball, the moment you lose that confidence level in yourself, your game deteriorates fairly rapidly.

I'll mention this again. During my entire coaching tenure, not once did I point a finger at someone blaming them for a loss. Not once did I reprimand, or point out an error in play by a player without doing it as part of a teaching process, by telling them, and showing them, how to do it better. I always used the moment to help boost their confidence, and their game.

Apparently Gard lacks in that area. I think I understand why. Bo was a tyrant. You made a mistake on the floor, you started walking to the bench because you were yanked immediately. As good as he was in winning, he was that bad also. Yet, he always had his players' backs. That's where the rubber meets the road. It's either there, or you no longer have any control over the team.

Though you can't have a guy who coddles and babies the players. Coaches at times need to be a hard ass on players. I think it was rumored that's part of reason Kobe King left was he could not take the being criticized by Gard and coaches. While at times you need to take a light approach with dealing with kids I think a lot of these younger guys grew up being soft in the participation trophy era were no one was a loser and you could never yell at these kids. These kids today need to learn to be tougher and that you screw up you will get yelled at times. If these kids can't handle that maybe they need to learn what real life is like.

Pack - In response to your statement that Gard cried during the meeting this year, not last year, I'm giving you this excerpt that was taken from the tapes. Like I said, he actually cried both years. The fact remains, when he lost King, he changed his way, then reverted back to what the players found caused the disconnect.

Potter referenced the 2019-20 season as well, alluding to the fact Gard had changed his approach after King’s departure but returned to his old ways this past season.

“Ultimately coach, we just want the guy that came to us last year and apologized in tears,” Potter said. “I’m not saying you have to cry and apologize. But that was honestly the biggest turning point last year. We felt, ‘Wow, we can play for this guy, we can relate to this guy.’”

I bring this up because I could see players going backwards, not progressing. That's always concerning, because it indicates something is causing them to lose confidence. As you well know, having played basketball, the moment you lose that confidence level in yourself, your game deteriorates fairly rapidly.

I'll mention this again. During my entire coaching tenure, not once did I point a finger at someone blaming them for a loss. Not once did I reprimand, or point out an error in play by a player without doing it as part of a teaching process, by telling them, and showing them, how to do it better. I always used the moment to help boost their confidence, and their game.

Apparently Gard lacks in that area. I think I understand why. Bo was a tyrant. You made a mistake on the floor, you started walking to the bench because you were yanked immediately. As good as he was in winning, he was that bad also. Yet, he always had his players' backs. That's where the rubber meets the road. It's either there, or you no longer have any control over the team.
TW, I coached also for many year. In HS and below I did the same, never pointed a finger or cast blame. But this is big time college basketball, its not romper room. Its one of the reasons the transfer portal is booked almost full. Kids want the white glove AAU treatment and that does not fly at the D1 level. I give you Jalen Johnson. Its one of the reasons Coach K and Williams bolted, the kids cant take coaching.

The tragedy in all of this is that some certain person, we can debate who leaked it, did it for their own agenda, they wanted to damage a program with an edited tape that did not tell the entire conversation. These closed door conversations happen more than people want to know, probably at 90% of the D1 programs. Its the nature of todays game on and off the court. I have no issues with players voicing a concern and I credit Gard for taking the meeting. The leak is flat unacceptable.

Though you can't have a guy who coddles and babies the players. Coaches at times need to be a hard ass on players. I think it was rumored that's part of reason Kobe King left was he could not take the being criticized by Gard and coaches. While at times you need to take a light approach with dealing with kids I think a lot of these younger guys grew up being soft in the participation trophy era were no one was a loser and you could never yell at these kids. These kids today need to learn to be tougher and that you screw up you will get yelled at times. If these kids can't handle that maybe they need to learn what real life is like.
Agree with this. It starts with the white glove AAU treatment. King clearly had issues beyond Gard and UW. Thats clear. Its about a balance.

One additional note on this. Al McGuire who I know you admire as do I many times talked about "tough love". Bernard Toon despised Al, at times down right hated him. Al always had his whipping boy, that was public knowledge. Toon wanted out of Marquette many times but those were different days in D1 ball.

One additional note on this. Al McGuire who I know you admire as do I many times talked about "tough love". Bernard Toon despised Al, at times down right hated him. Al always had his whipping boy, that was public knowledge. Toon wanted out of Marquette many times but those were different days in D1 ball.
I agree in tough love too. But it still has to be applied as a teaching tool. That can never be forgotten.

I listened to this again. This line was beyond interesting

Nate: It’s not just us… it’s Tyler Wahl, it’s Johnny Davis, it’s Steven Crowl, Ben Carlson… Tyler and Johnny are fucking pissed right now. They’re not happy… tell you what…. We’re gone after this. I’m saying that if you don’t change for them they might be gone too.

Last year there were many "rumors" that Wahl was on his way to Minneapolis via the transfer portal, never happened. There was also chatter of one other guy "considering" leaving (not Davis). The bottom line is each of these kids had ample opportunity to leave especially with the NCAA relaxing transfer rules, they had options. They all stayed.

I am not discounting there were / are problems but I am also not blind to the fact that these conversations are not uncommon. Its was no secret that the kids had issues adjusting to the Covid protocols and it weighted on them, I have also heard the Howard Moore situation was beyond difficult. My point is these kids went through a lot and some of this was built up

I agree in tough love too. But it still has to be applied as a teaching tool. That can never be forgotten.
at the D1 level its extremely difficult. And the AAU coddling is the main reason. Kids can't take it. As to Bo Ryan, yeah he had kids back but they were terrified of him and tried to avoid him, Frank was a bit open about that, Dekker had his own issues

I think though the time when Al coaches now are totally different you could do tough love and was accepted. Now in today's time to many consider it abuse.

I think though the time when Al coaches now are totally different you could do tough love and was accepted. Now in today's time to many consider it abuse.
Actually that’s very valid. Bobby Knight tried that crap at Texas Tech and failed. But it worked at Indiana decades ago.

Al had a whipping boy each year. The media laughed about it. It was no secret

Back