Free Agency Wish List

Bahk's deal is almost irrelevant. He's already got a big CAP number, almost $15mil for 2020. I doubt his 2020 CAP hit is much larger on a redone deal - it might be lower. His contract is a wash. No concern other than getting a deal done.

Clark becomes the issue. He'll cost you a bunch of money but again, not that huge a hit. His CAP hit for 2020 is close to $8mil already, so with a new deal it could be $4-5mil more CAP hit that first year, or maybe not. It'll rise in subsequent years but that's OK because other deals will come off the books.

Assuming they re-do both player's deals, they can probably find a way to add their 2 contracts with not much more than the same $22mil CAP hit they are already going to take for 2020. Those 2 contracts will not be a reason not to sign free agents this spring.

They don't have the CAP room to go crazy, but I think they can sign a couple of solid free agents.

Get Aaron another weapon. Drafting a WE or TE will require a year of development. If we're trying to "win now," why take that year? Robby Anderson? Maybe trade 3 of our developmental WRs to the Rams for Robbie Woods. Salaries would be a wash.

I'd make Hunter Henry an offer too. I really like Sternberger, but wouldn't mind a veteran if the price is right.

Grabbing a TE of the free agent list will only help if you really intend using him as a receiver. For some reason, I get the impression our staff is reluctant using them in much more than a 3rd option role, or as a decoy to spring WRs.

Grabbing a TE of the free agent list will only help if you really intend using him as a receiver. For some reason, I get the impression our staff is reluctant using them in much more than a 3rd option role, or as a decoy to spring WRs.

Not sure what they're thinking about the TE position. Especially since they had almost nothing to work with at that position this year.

There's a lot of chatter out there about the Packers and Austin Hooper. But I'm not buying into it.

He's an overhyped TE who does many things o.k. but doesn't have any feature to his game that he can dominate at.

He and his representatives also believe that his asking price in free agency is going to reset the TE market.

Last thing I want to see is another overpriced/under-average performing TE coming to GB. And signing Hooper would probably mean signing just one player in free agency.

CHI extends Danny Trevathan, likely knowing that their limited cap resources would be insufficient to reach agreement with Nick Kwiatkoski.

I think GB has a benchmark as to what they will be willing to pay a free agent ILB, and that both Cory Littleton and Joe Schobert will exceed that benchmark.

I've advocated for Kwiatkoski for more than 3 months at this point and I think he will be the primary target in free agency.
(Christian Kirksey may get some love if they can't land Kwiatkoski)

I also believe that Gute will add a veteran DL in free agency as well, but he won't target any of the high priced/top ranked DL. He will look for a role player/run stuffer that ranks as more of a 2nd level signing, so I don't expect someone signed in the first 7-10 days of free agency.

DT names that I have been reviewing are Beau Allen, Xavier Williams, Akeem Spence, David Onyemata, Maliek Collins, and Tyeler Davison.
Montravious Adams days in G&G are numbered.

Also, after the draft and leading up to training camp, I think they will have a window to finally get a deal done with Kenny Clark.

It may involve releasing Lane Taylor if they feel they will have enough depth at IOL after the draft, AND/OR, they could negotiate an extension with David Bakhtiari (a year early) to reduce his 2020 cap number and free up additional space to get a deal done with Clark before the regular season starts.

Would also like to see Tyler Ervin, Will Redmond, and Marcedes Lewis brought back as well, if possible.

That's my free agency wish list as that day approaches this next week.

NFL radio was talking about how the Bears might have tried to sign Kwiatkoski just for him to reject there offers and signed Trevathan because it would have made more sense to sign Kwiatoski as he was younger and lesss injuries. So all depends on number Kwiatkoski and his agent want. Kirksey is a guy I won't touch has only played in 9 games in the last 2 years. For hooper I wold stay away he is going to get overpaid for what he provides. The Packers are in the mid 20s I think in cap space compared to other teams so they won't be able to get into any kind of bidding war. I think the Packers may sit out the first couple weeks of FA let the crazy money get spent on the big name guys and for the guys still out there have to come down off their high asking prices so the Packers could then go and sign a couple mid-tier FA's to help fill holes. Gute has already said that it's unlikely you will see the Packers have a FA like last and I am ok with it. The Packers have a ton of key FA's coming up after this year and I would rather go and try to extend them then go buy other teams overpriced FA's.

Gute has already said that it's unlikely you will see the Packers have a FA like last

I partially agree with that thought, but it doesn't mean he can't make a splash with one player on Day 1 of free agency.
Last year he signed four players to the tune of $182M on the first legal day of free agency, so "yes", we will not see that kind of spending in early free agency this year.

But I believe he will "try" to sign one player on Day 1 in an effort to fill/fix one of the glaring holes that still exist on this team. Whether or not he can afford to do so remains a question.

I think the Packers may sit out the first couple weeks of FA let the crazy money get spent on the big name guys and for the guys still out there have to come down off their high asking prices so the Packers could then go and sign a couple mid-tier FA's to help fill holes.

Given the Packers cap limitations, this approach would also be prudent and smart. It will be interesting to see what Gute prioritizes when the opening bell rings on free agency.

According to Sportrac right now the Packers have $26 million in cap space putting them 21st in the league in cap space. Crazy league average is $45 million dollars with Miami leadig the league with a crazy $96.5 million in cap space. If we see the see CBA approved we will see crazy spending on players. Though if the CBA is not passed then the 30% rule will be in effect and then I think we will see more teams having to get creative with deals to make sure they are legal.

#1 99% of reports you see in the next week are leaked or speculation so take them with a major grain of salt. Translation don’t believe them. All that said, cap is up so crazy money will flood the market early so it’s a sellers market. I think the focus will be on depth in FA and TE, LB & WR will more likely be addressed in the draft

Back