Free Agency Wish List

GBP4EVER

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
2022 Draft Guru
Reaction score
Ok who are possible guys you would like to see GB go after in FA?

I am not a fan of keeping Martinez because I think he would require a very large payday to keep him and think that money is better well spent elsewhere.

For UFA of our own I would like to see Crosby and Vitale and Bulaga but if he prices himself to him Veldheer brought back.

For outside UFA here is my wish list with in mind limited cap space because the team extends Kenny Clark

Defense:

Shaq Lawson DE from Bills Only 26 years old but had 7 sacks last year. I see him like the Smith Bros not a marquee FA but yet on that second level FA that can still help the team.

Danny Shelton DT from Pats You can play him as a DT and allow Clark to move around line put him as DE or DT

Patrick Onwusaor ILB from Ravens. 27 years old had 3 sacks 6 QB hits 1 FF last LB we got from Ravens worked out

Neville Hewit ILB from Jets. Also only 27 years old 3 sacks 8 QB hits 2 INTs perhaps pair these two guys up at ILB?

Offense:

Eric Ebron TE from Colts. Still young at 27. Packers likely losing both Graham and Lewis Ebron would be a good signing that would not cost much and hedge bet with Sternberger and Tonyan. Ebron had a good 2018 with a capable QB in Luck throwing to him

Hunter Henry TE from Chargers 25 years old but history of injuries but has produced when healthy. He may be a tad more pricy then the Packers will want to pay.

Breshad Perriman WR from TB 26 years old had 6 TDs this year might be a decent #2 or #3 WR.

I think these could be realstic guys the team could look at.

Guys I'm thinking about are WRs, DTs with the size to play next to Clark, ILBs who can cover and maybe a TE.

Joe Schobert - one of the better free agent LBs in terms of coverage skills. He's not the best run stopper but I can find that kind of LB more easily than a guy who can cover. Put a downhill thumper type of LB next to him and you are better overall against the run than basically having a hybrid safety play ILB on 80% of the snaps. He'll be a little pricey, but since I'm letting Martinez walk it's not a problem.

It's a good year in FA for interior DL. While I like guys like Shelton and Billings they are a repeat of Clark and that means somebody needs to switch positions. IMO, you can never be sure how that works out. I'm maybe looking at a couple of the guys who slot right in at 3-4DE like Derek Wolfe or Michael Brockers who are a little older but not over the hill. Young guys like Shelby Harris, Leonard Williams or Jarron Reed might be options as well, but a little pricier I think.

At WR, Perriman is one of the names I'd look at, but I'd also have a serious discussion with AJ Green. His value is probably down due to age and a couple of injury plagued seasons. He's said he'd like to come back to the Bengals but I that's just a PR move and I can't imagine he's pumped about spending his last few years in the league playing on a rebuilding Bengals squad. I think he can still play at a pretty high level. He might be a little pricey but age and injury might keep it manageable.

For TE, Austin Hooper might be a good addition. Lefleur was coaching in Atlanta his rookie year. He's a decent blocker but not a huge receiving weapon. Should be relatively affordable.

I'll just comment a little on Shaq Lawson. I like him as a player, but you already have that guy in Smith, Smith, and Gary. With a 4th guy like that, someone needs to play more snaps inside to make it worth the money, and I don't know if that makes you much better, especially against the run. If this was last year - yes, get me Lawson.

Guys I'm thinking about are WRs, DTs with the size to play next to Clark, ILBs who can cover and maybe a TE.

Joe Schobert - one of the better free agent LBs in terms of coverage skills. He's not the best run stopper but I can find that kind of LB more easily than a guy who can cover. Put a downhill thumper type of LB next to him and you are better overall against the run than basically having a hybrid safety play ILB on 80% of the snaps. He'll be a little pricey, but since I'm letting Martinez walk it's not a problem.

It's a good year in FA for interior DL. While I like guys like Shelton and Billings they are a repeat of Clark and that means somebody needs to switch positions. IMO, you can never be sure how that works out. I'm maybe looking at a couple of the guys who slot right in at 3-4DE like Derek Wolfe or Michael Brockers who are a little older but not over the hill. Young guys like Shelby Harris, Leonard Williams or Jarron Reed might be options as well, but a little pricier I think.

At WR, Perriman is one of the names I'd look at, but I'd also have a serious discussion with AJ Green. His value is probably down due to age and a couple of injury plagued seasons. He's said he'd like to come back to the Bengals but I that's just a PR move and I can't imagine he's pumped about spending his last few years in the league playing on a rebuilding Bengals squad. I think he can still play at a pretty high level. He might be a little pricey but age and injury might keep it manageable.

For TE, Austin Hooper might be a good addition. Lefleur was coaching in Atlanta his rookie year. He's a decent blocker but not a huge receiving weapon. Should be relatively affordable.

I'll just comment a little on Shaq Lawson. I like him as a player, but you already have that guy in Smith, Smith, and Gary. With a 4th guy like that, someone needs to play more snaps inside to make it worth the money, and I don't know if that makes you much better, especially against the run. If this was last year - yes, get me Lawson.
Hooper is #1 TE in FA if he hits it would cost a ton.

Hooper is not getting out of ATL, even though he'd be a good fit here.

Henry looks like the best of the bunch. Would sign him in a heartbeat, worth the injury risk. No interest in Ebron or Perriman.

My two free agent targets would be:

LB/ Nick Kwiatkoski (CHI)
DT-DE/ Vernon Butler (CAR)

Count me in on Henry. He hasn't been able to stay healthy but he got the skill set to be top 5ish te. he blocks, hes a great route runner and he gets in the EZ. Maybe injuries drive his price down a little

Jordan Phillips. took him a few years to figure it out, but last season he played up to his ability. Huge run stopper that also was getting after the qb every game. also a locker room fav. would be a great add.

Looking at other teams cap space even if the Packers cut Graham and Taylor they would go from like 24th to 22nd in cap space among teams. With the need to extend Clark and maybe Bak shows me that any FA listed here is likely not going to happen. My guess Packers will sit out first few weeks of FA wait until all the big names are gone and other players demands start to drop. Might only end up with backup quality guys or maybe guys coming off a injury or were backups on another team looking for more playing time elsewhere. If Packers do sign Clark and some of their other FA's that 40 million in cap space (Graham & Taylor gone) gets cut close to half that and with $20 million only left I don't think that gets you much.

I have a hunch there will be a lot of disappointed people when it comes to how much the Packers dip into FAs this year. Their main priority is going to be keeping players they need to keep, and bringing in draft picks as back ups, and getting 2nd, maybe third tier FAs to fill the rest of the needs. Money is the real issue.

Back