Free Agency Wish List

I have a hunch there will be a lot of disappointed people when it comes to how much the Packers dip into FAs this year. Their main priority is going to be keeping players they need to keep, and bringing in draft picks as back ups, and getting 2nd, maybe third tier FAs to fill the rest of the needs. Money is the real issue.
Yep Gute has warned fans don't expect a off-season like last but I think fans will still be all upset when he does not make a big splash.

How Clark affects the cap will depend on guarantee and structure. It’s not impossible to believe they could extend him and actually see his cap number go down in 2020, compared to how his 5th year option impacts the 2020 cap.
Extending Bak a year early (2020 vs 2021), could also bring down his 2020 cap number which is currently in the $15M range.
Doing these two smartly could leave Gute room to make one splash free agent signing and one 2nd tier signing.
I’m not making a prediction, just saying it’s not impossible to envision it.

I have a hunch there will be a lot of disappointed people when it comes to how much the Packers dip into FAs this year. Their main priority is going to be keeping players they need to keep, and bringing in draft picks as back ups, and getting 2nd, maybe third tier FAs to fill the rest of the needs. Money is the real issue.

i will be disappointed if they don't spend every last dollar of their cap to keep the players they want, sign their draft picks and bring in at least two veteran impact players. two or three impact guys that will make an immediate difference (like the smiths did this past season). if it's three, then i'd like to see at least two of those on offense. they need to forget about 2021. everything is going to reset in 2021. the cap will go up big-time for sure. there's a significant chance that we will lose rodgers. don't hoard money for the future. take your best shot at now.

i will be disappointed if they don't spend every last dollar of their cap to keep the players they want, sign their draft picks and bring in at least two veteran impact players. two or three impact guys that will make an immediate difference (like the smiths did this past season). if it's three, then i'd like to see at least two of those on offense. they need to forget about 2021. everything is going to reset in 2021. the cap will go up big-time for sure. there's a significant chance that we will lose rodgers. don't hoard money for the future. take your best shot at now.
Rodgers will be here in 2021 unless he walks away so be prepared to be disappointed. Not the MO of this organization to max out cap

Not the MO of this organization to max out cap

i know that. i'm saying that this is a year where you should forget about old habits. 2021 might be a 10-game season or it might be a no-game season. operate as if 2021 is irrelevant.

i know that. i'm saying that this is a year where you should forget about old habits. 2021 might be a 10-game season or it might be a no-game season. operate as if 2021 is irrelevant.
Well you can’t do that when negotiating FA deals. You don’t have the cash or cap to heavy front load the deals in year 1 and at the same time extend Clark which will cost cash flow also. You have to budget, maybe a bad term that 2021 is relevant. Most teams have 3-5 year projections, can’t see that changing

Well you can’t do that when negotiating FA deals. You don’t have the cash or cap to heavy front load the deals in year 1 and at the same time extend Clark which will cost cash flow also.

i'm not saying they should front load the free agent contracts. in fact, the opposite. the cap is going to go up bigly, they'll have more money in 2021 and later seasons. i seem to recall that some other teams have actually gone over their cap in the recent past. we need to acquire talent. sometimes you have to change your habits when faced with challenges.

Bigger issue I think is getting deals out with our own guys. You don't know the future of the tags under new CBA so getting deals done with Clark and Bak could be important.

Bigger issue I think is getting deals out with our own guys. You don't know the future of the tags under new CBA so getting deals done with Clark and Bak could be important.

i am definitely in favor of that. but it takes two to tango. re-sign/extend the players we want to keep. sign our draft picks. bring in a couple difference-makers. that's what i'm saying. i don't want to see us spend big money on guys that are way past their prime like graham. i don't want to see us spend money on a handful of second and third tier free agents that will mainly be backups. and i definitely don't want to see us ignore free agency like uncle ted.

i'm not saying they should front load the free agent contracts. in fact, the opposite. the cap is going to go up bigly, they'll have more money in 2021 and later seasons. i seem to recall that some other teams have actually gone over their cap in the recent past. we need to acquire talent. sometimes you have to change your habits when faced with challenges.
You can’t exceed the cap. Will the cap go up? Yes. How much is unknown. If you are going to disregard 2021 and all in on 2020 you only have so much space

Back