Bucks slow start?

One more thread on Trice and why he is so valuable. This is a great Twitter follow, knows his stuff

I guess this thread is a microcasm of fans and expectations in general. The Bucks for instance. They are 1-2 and lost 1 game on a miracle shot, its 3 games in a 72 game season and already its a slow start and whats wrong? The Badgers? 6th in the country and laid a dud vs a very good Maryland team. Lets see Iowa is 7-2, Illinois is 7-3, are they "overrated" no? Did I ever think they would run the table? no. will they lose again? hell yes they will and they also will finish in the top 3-4 in the conference. With COVID the NBA had a short camp with little preseason to figure out the pieces, college games get moved or cancelled do to COVID, its not the "normal". Lot of hoops left to play

You're absolutely right. We do tend to overreact to things. All of us including you and I. I guess that's what makes us all more than just fans. Fans watch a game, walk away, watch the next game, walk away, and repeat the cycle until the end of season. People like all of us see more than just a game, we see a science of athleticism, and do tend to be critical in different degrees, to different things, based on either the eyeball test, or our own expertise, as it is, in playing, coaching, and observing the sport.

There will be disagreements. If everyone agreed, there would be no need for us to talk about, and discuss the differences we see in each game, or voice concerns, or support. We'd already know. Hence, why be here?

I like that difference. In fact, I will post something at times that I totally think is inaccurate information presented by the press, or people outside our family, because I think it's something we can all discuss in a rational way, and enjoy seeing, and hearing, different views.

But, the one thing we all have to realize is that no matter what we say, there is one thing that applies. Everything we say could be followed by; "BUT THAT'S JUST MY OPINION."

We need to remember that. Because that's what each of our statements are.

Bucky needed to get knocked down a peg and to realize they aren't very very good because of exceptional talent.

I'll bet they learned that they are very very good because they have pretty darn good talent that needs to show up with effort and focus every game.

I'd rather have them learn that now.

Bucky needed to get knocked down a peg and to realize they aren't very very good because of exceptional talent.

I'll bet they learned that they are very very good because they have pretty darn good talent that needs to show up with effort and focus every game.

I'd rather have them learn that now.
It’s a bit of a strange fit right now. 5 seniors then your next 3-4 freshman and 1 sophomore and Anderson. Last night the rotation was really short, unlike Gard. Carlsons out and he would really help

Let's see if I have this right. The Bucks beat a team by nearly 50 one night, and the next night, the same team blows them out? What does that tell us? Is it on the players, or the coaches? Both?

Last night, the Bucks were playing fantastic basketball for the first quarter and a half. Bud was playing people together who were complementing each other, skills wise. Then he started tinkering with the combinations, and ended up destroying the floor chemistry they had. Making matters worse, he continued to mismatch the people he had on the floor, as if he wasn't smart enough to realize that floor chemistry is important.

I know this might not be popular, but in all honesty, I'm beginning to doubt that Bud can bring the Bucks to the next level, and win championships. We need a coach who knows how to make his team hit on all cylinders, even when they have off games.

Last night was a total fiasco. It shouldn't be acceptable.

Just my opinion.

Let's see if I have this right. The Bucks beat a team by nearly 50 one night, and the next night, the same team blows them out? What does that tell us? Is it on the players, or the coaches? Both?

Last night, the Bucks were playing fantastic basketball for the first quarter and a half. Bud was playing people together who were complementing each other, skills wise. Then he started tinkering with the combinations, and ended up destroying the floor chemistry they had. Making matters worse, he continued to mismatch the people he had on the floor, as if he wasn't smart enough to realize that floor chemistry is important.

I know this might not be popular, but in all honesty, I'm beginning to doubt that Bud can bring the Bucks to the next level, and win championships. We need a coach who knows how to make his team hit on all cylinders, even when they have off games.

Last night was a total fiasco. It shouldn't be acceptable.

Just my opinion.
It’s 5 games into a 72 game season. There has been a lot of inconsistent basketball being played all over the league, it’s was being discussed on NBA TV yesterday. Look at Dallas. One of the top 4 teams in the west lose at home by 20 last night. Lakers are just 3-2, Denver 1-3, Nets and Boston 3-2. I digress now the Bucks
  • 2 new starters. Takes time especially Holiday at PG. With the short camp and limited pre season it’s learning the system and your teammates tendencies. He’s a major upgrade and it does not happen overnight
  • All new bench for the most part. Bud is still experimenting with rotations and matchups. Augustin was hurt so he’s behind. And again limited camp and preseason. Portis brings more than Lopez, that’s a good thing. Not sure if depth is as good as last year but again it’s 5 games. Let’s see how it plays out
  • Season just ended in what October. Few weeks off then back at it. These guys are used to a routine and it’s not the norm yet. It breeds inconsistent play which is want they are getting not just in Milwaukee either
  • No fans. The energy is lacking again. It’s almost like watching scrimmages league wide. The bubble was an adjustment and this is also
  • This team has played one bad game. @ NY. Boston game was well played and Tatum hit a prayer to win. Losing to Miami is no upset. Remember the bubble?
  • Defense is still meh. Bud has tried to emphasize rotations and at times it’s been better but pick and roll defense and pick and pop switches have been at best mediocre. Holiday is a better defender than Bledsoe. Again 5 games in with 6 guys in different roles it takes time
  • This team has played 1 game at home. I get no fans but just the comfort level of being home and not in a road “bubble” helps.
Now if some of this is still happening 15-20 games in maybe a cause for concern but it way early to jump to any conclusions about this team. Personally I think it’s overall more talented than the last 2 years, jury is out on depth but it is what it is

Last edited:
Not saying anything you indicated is wrong. Just questioning if Bud is really the guy to pull it all together? There are excellent coaches throughout sports who can win lots of games, but when they have the talent available to win it all, fail. They don't have that killer instinct that makes their teams champions.

And no. There was absolutely no excuse for the way they played last night. Players, coaches, doesn't matter. They're too good of a team to do what they did and consider themselves a true contender. Something is obviously wrong and needs to be fixed. It wasn't a loss. It was a blowout against a team they blew out the night before.

Not saying anything you indicated is wrong. Just questioning if Bud is really the guy to pull it all together? There are excellent coaches throughout sports who can win lots of games, but when they have the talent available to win it all, fail. They don't have that killer instinct that makes their teams champions.
Yes he is.

And no. There was absolutely no excuse for the way they played last night. Players, coaches, doesn't matter. They're too good of a team to do what they did and consider themselves a true contender. Something is obviously wrong and needs to be fixed. It wasn't a loss. It was a blowout against a team they blew out the night before.
Disagree. They were leading entering into the 4th and got outplayed. Middleton, Lopez and Holiday were 10-41. Not going to win many games shooting 38% as a team, they only turned the ball over 13x. On the plus side bench was much better and they defensed the 3 much better both nights.

Back