Bobby Portis opts out

I think Simmons suffers from the same problem that Bledsoe did. He has a tendency to not show up at times. Often when most needed. That's not a knock against him generally as a talent, but the fact he's more apt to make a pass in clutch situations than put up a shot that has a high percentage success ratio. Sometimes guys who aren't selfish can cost the team as much as help.

I think Simmons suffers from the same problem that Bledsoe did. He has a tendency to not show up at times. Often when most needed. That's not a knock against him generally as a talent, but the fact he's more apt to make a pass in clutch situations than put up a shot that has a high percentage success ratio. Sometimes guys who aren't selfish can cost the team as much as help.
I think he has the yips. That play vs Atlanta was flat plain and simple a lack of confidence in his game. He had a wide open dunk. He was afraid to miss. What was interesting in the Atlanta series was that his disappearing act was always in the 4th quarter. If my memory is correct he took zero 4th quarter shots in like 5 of the 7 games. He also could not hit a FT so he wanted the ball out of his hands.

He had a habit of doing that all season long. I think he may lack confidence in his own shot. He chooses to give someone else the look because of it.

He also has a problem listening, and doing what the coaching staff asks. If he doesn't like what they say, he avoids the situation. That too could contribute to his inactivity during crunch time.

He had a habit of doing that all season long. I think he may lack confidence in his own shot. He chooses to give someone else the look because of it.

He also has a problem listening, and doing what the coaching staff asks. If he doesn't like what they say, he avoids the situation. That too could contribute to his inactivity during crunch time.
His numbers are similar to his LSU numbers. 50%+ from 2 , 33% from 3. He such a unique player, a 6-11 PG who can handle the ball, create for others and above average defender you can live with some other stuff but passing on a dunk is as you said lack of confidence. I give him credit for owning up to the flaws in his game, that’s step 1. Let’s see how he responds.

Also thing is did people expect Simmons to be this elite guy? Sometime people expect ot much out of #1 picks

His numbers are similar to his LSU numbers. 50%+ from 2 , 33% from 3. He such a unique player, a 6-11 PG who can handle the ball, create for others and above average defender you can live with some other stuff but passing on a dunk is as you said lack of confidence. I give him credit for owning up to the flaws in his game, that’s step 1. Let’s see how he responds.
I will say he's only 25 so he can still get better.

If he does not want to listen to the coaches does that mean he's uncoachable and thus do you want tha type of guy?

If he does not want to listen to the coaches does that mean he's uncoachable and thus do you want tha type of guy?
I don’t think so. I just think he’s getting way to much heat for the Atlanta series, especially play in Q4.

Also thing is did people expect Simmons to be this elite guy? Sometime people expect ot much out of #1 picks
I hate the term elite because it’s so subjective. Especially hoops. The NBA, you draft on potential, he came out after his freshman year.

And look at the 2016 Draft. Other than Simmons who is even close to a #1 pick grade? Maybe Murray but he never showed that at Kentucky

Back