Big Training Camp Battles: Inside Linebackers

Though I think a lot of the players today are the particaption trophy kids everyone treated like a winner everyone plays because can't make someone feel left out. If they suck you give them a pat on the back say they will do better next time.

i highly doubt that any pro player was a "participation trophy kid". these are the best of the best. they excelled in high school. they excelled in college. their trophies are real.

i can understand why millionaires would not want to be treated like children.

another reason why lombardi would never be able to coach today is that he's dead.

If people don't want to be treated like children, they shouldn't act like children. Whether they are participation or more, the coddling of athletes is exponentially increasing

If people don't want to be treated like children, they shouldn't act like children. Whether they are participation or more, the coddling of athletes is exponentially increasing
The vast majority of professional athletes don’t get into legal issues, get suspended or cause issues. It’s a small group and “fans” want to paint a broad brush that it’s a major problem. For NFL It’s 2.3% based on a NYT article a couple of years ago with is below the national average. And coddled by who? Oh yeah it’s the media’s fault

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about criminal activity. I agree, that is a very small percentage. But c'mon athletes are coddled way more now than they were when I was a young man and even years ago.

I didn't say anything about criminal activity. I agree, that is a very small percentage. But c'mon athletes are coddled way more now than they were when I was a young man and even years ago.
Coddled by who? And how

Good athletes are often coddled from the time they're in high school all the way through the pros if they make it that far. Stars get special treatment, and teams make sure they are happy. It's somewhat diminished in the pros, but let's face it. With free agencies, some teams go out of their way to insure their players are treated special, to get their name on the dotted line with contract extensions.

The days of it being as blatant at the pro level is disappearing, but it still exists below that.

Even visits to colleges by candidates can be over the top. Stories of cheerleaders getting recruits all worked up join the program. It goes on and on.

Good athletes are often coddled from the time they're in high school all the way through the pros if they make it that far. Stars get special treatment, and teams make sure they are happy. It's somewhat diminished in the pros, but let's face it. With free agencies, some teams go out of their way to insure their players are treated special, to get their name on the dotted line with contract extensions.

The days of it being as blatant at the pro level is disappearing, but it still exists below that.

Even visits to colleges by candidates can be over the top. Stories of cheerleaders getting recruits all worked up join the program. It goes on and on.

well, i don't think that is at all what was being discussed here as we were talking about how a hard-@$$ coach like lombardi would never make it in today's nfl. i believe that. but i don't think today's athletes are coddled. i think that kind of heavy-handed coaching wouldn't work. today's pro athletes are better educated and more "football smart" than the athletes of lombardi's era. high school and college football programs are far more sophisticated today than in the 1950s and 60s. these guys don't need to be talked down to or punished or belittled in front of their peers to get a point across.

well, i don't think that is at all what was being discussed here as we were talking about how a hard-@$$ coach like lombardi would never make it in today's nfl. i believe that. but i don't think today's athletes are coddled. i think that kind of heavy-handed coaching wouldn't work. today's pro athletes are better educated and more "football smart" than the athletes of lombardi's era. high school and college football programs are far more sophisticated today than in the 1950s and 60s. these guys don't need to be talked down to or punished or belittled in front of their peers to get a point across.
I agree. They work their ass off 12 months out of the year, if not no check. They learn that real fast once they get drafted. Most 5 year deals are 3 years and then let’s see. And in many cases even before that. They learn it’s a business real fast

Lombardi was actually super modern for his time. He was old school in having high expectations, but he was also very cutting edge.

Back