Barry and The Fangio scheme

I'm sure Barry will have to adapt his philosophy to his personnel. Work in progress but all the articles I read, say that this defense is already a talented group. Maybe he has enough horses, already on roster, to run his D.

Am I in the Twilight Zone? I must be misrembering how good they were. Have we had the talent, but it was misused?

Am I in the Twilight Zone? I must be misrembering how good they were. Have we had the talent, but it was misused?
Only guy I can think of is Gary, who is better rushing inside than the edge. Otherwise our guys are what they are. ILB is a void and CB depth is abysmal. No one playing out of place there.

There is talent on the defense but there are big gaps and MP didn't do a great job of working around the gaps.

I'd argue that Clark, ZSmith, Alexander, and Amos are better than average talents. I think Savage and Gary are on the rise and could be included in that group as well next season. That's six pretty solid to really good players. The problem is that ILB x 2, King, Lancaster and Lowry are all below average. If they were at least average at a couple of those spots things might be different, but they're not. To compound that, the DC was OK with leaving King on an island and letting him get burned multiple times. You lack talent at some spots and then don't coach around your deficiencies.

You can't fix all the problems this year, but you need to fix a couple and coach smarter and maybe this could be a solid defense. You need at least one ILB this year no matter how the scheme ends up looking. You absolutely need another CB opposite Alexander. If you could get those 2 things done who knows how much better the defense could be. Getting Gute to draft the right guys . . . well, that a whole other story.

Statistically speaking, is what I read in some articles. I'm not saying the defense has talent. I wanted Pettine gone last year.

"Pettine's unit finished ninth in the NFL in total defense (334 yards per game) and 13th in scoring (23.1 points per game) during the 2020 regular season".

There is talent on the defense but there are big gaps and MP didn't do a great job of working around the gaps.

I'd argue that Clark, ZSmith, Alexander, and Amos are better than average talents. I think Savage and Gary are on the rise and could be included in that group as well next season. That's six pretty solid to really good players. The problem is that ILB x 2, King, Lancaster and Lowry are all below average. If they were at least average at a couple of those spots things might be different, but they're not. To compound that, the DC was OK with leaving King on an island and letting him get burned multiple times. You lack talent at some spots and then don't coach around your deficiencies.

You can't fix all the problems this year, but you need to fix a couple and coach smarter and maybe this could be a solid defense. You need at least one ILB this year no matter how the scheme ends up looking. You absolutely need another CB opposite Alexander. If you could get those 2 things done who knows how much better the defense could be. Getting Gute to draft the right guys . . . well, that a whole other story.
I would argue that Savage has more upside and has had more impact than Amos. He's a nice piece but not sure above average is where I would put him. The key pieces are 2 LB especially in the middle and also someone who can also get inside pressure. And then there is the depth issues. Fix 1 or 2 of these is great but not sure your going to see much different in 2021

I’d add a DL to the shopping list

I would argue that Savage has more upside and has had more impact than Amos. He's a nice piece but not sure above average is where I would put him. The key pieces are 2 LB especially in the middle and also someone who can also get inside pressure. And then there is the depth issues. Fix 1 or 2 of these is great but not sure your going to see much different in 2021

Fair enough on the safeties and I would agree Savage has more upside, but I'd say Amos was looking above average especially the last half of the year.

With a CAP issue this year, 1 or 2 fixes is all you can get expect to get done in the draft/off-season. There likely won't be a FA coming in that does much. I would argue that more than one team has benefitted greatly from the addition of a couple of quality pieces. It won't make them the '85 Bears but could make them better. Depth is a problem for everyone. I'd be happy with solid starters as step #1. This is a multi-year fix.

I think we are a little overly harsh on judging Amos.
He did receive pro-bowl votes this year along with Jenkins and Crosby.
Could Savage have more upside? Sure!
But I won’t sell Amos short on what he brings to this team.
He may not be flashy, but he is solid and is glad to do all the little mundane things so others can make the splash plays and news headlines

Fair enough on the safeties and I would agree Savage has more upside, but I'd say Amos was looking above average especially the last half of the year.

With a CAP issue this year, 1 or 2 fixes is all you can get expect to get done in the draft/off-season. There likely won't be a FA coming in that does much. I would argue that more than one team has benefitted greatly from the addition of a couple of quality pieces. It won't make them the '85 Bears but could make them better. Depth is a problem for everyone. I'd be happy with solid starters as step #1. This is a multi-year fix.
That’s fair. And could not agree more that its a multi year fix. I just feel that speed / athletic is the key to this scheme and while Amos is solid not sure he brings the rest

Back