Badgers need to do some early recruiting at Westlake Austin, TX

Yes but as I said those are kids that schools down south won't be recuriting hard and if those kids get offers from those schools might be as preferred walk on's UW does not seem to do much at all down south. UW seems to be happy staying in the Midwest and scouting NJ for the most part.
UW recruits in the south. Have for years. A 3 star kid is a 3 star kid. Also academics play into it. You get the occasional 3 star kid

Granted, the vast majority of 4 and 5 star kids in Texas are bound for the Texas, and surrounding area schools. The hype, from these schools, and boosters, is enormous. You need connections to even get close to these kids during the process. Like Pack said, there's also the issue of academics. The Texas school system - for one - can be "very creative" in getting dumb-ass kids who play football, through high school, with minimal courses. So many of them can't even spell ACT Test, let alone take one, and do better than getting their name right.

You don't end up making inroads with recruiting in areas if you dismiss it, and forget about the kids that you might be able to turn into great players. You keep working on it until your progress begins earning you big catches. You do this by cultivating the motivators who stand on the sidelines during games, because they're the people who shape the future of so many of these kids. Make sure you're doing everything within your power to create an atmosphere where your reps are welcomed, when they knock on the front door of parents, who have kids, ready to make these choices. It's time consuming, and there are no instant rewards. It's cultivated.

I think there is misperception that UW ignores FLA, TX and GA or for that matter any school in SEC, ACC or Big 12 country and honestly they don't. On the 2019 roster UW had 4 players from FLA, 7 from Texas and 2 from Georgia and 2 from Alabama. Just because we do not land the 4 or 5 star kids does not mean we have not got productive kids to Madison from those areas. Guys like Dixon, Tindal, Jamerson, Orr.

The other issue? recruiting budget. I don't have 2019 numbers but in 2018 it was $350,695. As a comparison, Maryland $539,299, Kansas State $509,760, Arizona State $531,791, Mississippi State $453,116, Texas Tech $535,362..now the extreme Georgia $2.6m, Alabama $2.3m, Minnesota...yes Row The Boat U, $1M. Now some of that disparity is due to accounting issues and booster involvement but the point is you are limited to what your footprint is, you have to prioritize.

I think there is misperception that UW ignores FLA, TX and GA or for that matter any school in SEC, ACC or Big 12 country and honestly they don't. On the 2019 roster UW had 4 players from FLA, 7 from Texas and 2 from Georgia and 2 from Alabama. Just because we do not land the 4 or 5 star kids does not mean we have not got productive kids to Madison from those areas. Guys like Dixon, Tindal, Jamerson, Orr.

The other issue? recruiting budget. I don't have 2019 numbers but in 2018 it was $350,695. As a comparison, Maryland $539,299, Kansas State $509,760, Arizona State $531,791, Mississippi State $453,116, Texas Tech $535,362..now the extreme Georgia $2.6m, Alabama $2.3m, Minnesota...yes Row The Boat U, $1M. Now some of that disparity is due to accounting issues and booster involvement but the point is you are limited to what your footprint is, you have to prioritize.
Really though is 12% of the roster much when you count players from the South? I checked and about 80% of the kids they had on the roster for 2019 came from the Midwest or East Coast.

Really though is 12% of the roster much when you count players from the South? I checked and about 80% of the kids they had on the roster for 2019 came from the Midwest or East Coast.
considering the some of the restrictions the program has yes, would be interesting the percent of other B1G schools not named OSU or Michigan

This is a problem. It takes money to get out there and recruit the best. The Badgers haven't done much with boosters since the Elroy Hirsch days, and when you realize what was happening then, you can understand why. It has to be controlled.

This is a problem. It takes money to get out there and recruit the best. The Badgers haven't done much with boosters since the Elroy Hirsch days, and when you realize what was happening then, you can understand why. It has to be controlled.

too much to copy and paste here, interesting read

Reactions: TW
Interesting synopsis on ROI. The roll-out of cash works to a point, then it becomes more like throwing money down a rabbit hole. It does appear that by upping the ante some, Wisconsin could improve their reach in some areas.

Interesting synopsis on ROI. The roll-out of cash works to a point, then it becomes more like throwing money down a rabbit hole. It does appear that by upping the ante some, Wisconsin could improve their reach in some areas.
What is does not tell you is that many schools recruit to the culture of a program and system, its not just a broad stroke of the brush that money does not always = wins (see Minnesota, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa State, Rutgers, Kentucky). And to your point, money down the rabbit hole does not translate to success, its a crap shoot.

One other interesting number are it relates to recruiting. Number of 2021 early offers. Nebraska 326, Michigan 238, PSU 210, Rutgers 207, Indiana 194, Purdue 167, Minnesota 152, OSU, 144, MSU, 111, Wisconsin 102, Iowa 91, Illinois 89, Northwestern, 53. Clearly different philosophies as to offers and what your plan is. I dont disagree on WI could improve reach but with academics, system and culture will it pay off?

I think the biggest hurdle is the recruiting budget. Holy Cow it's 40% of MN. Has MN's paid off? Not yet, but it very well could overtake WI on that alone and start holding the axe for a long time

Back