Badgers need to do some early recruiting at Westlake Austin, TX

The recruiting budget is a goofy, undefined thing. Different schools put different things in those numbers. I believe UW gets the use of a private plane from a booster that is not included in the budget because they don't pay anything, but all those flights are worth a bunch of money. I wouldn't take too much stock in those numbers.

The recruiting budget is a goofy, undefined thing. Different schools put different things in those numbers. I believe UW gets the use of a private plane from a booster that is not included in the budget because they don't pay anything, but all those flights are worth a bunch of money. I wouldn't take too much stock in those numbers.
Yep Kenny Dichter who founded Wheels Up, but from what I understand its not unlimited use and thats for coaches only. Even if you double the number its behind the average in Power 5 Kids coming in for visits fly commercial.

No doubt UW is on the frugal end. Just offering an example of how things are not equal in terms of the numbers.

Not sure if the budget is set and is a limiting factor or if the UW coaches and staff are just more rational in how they use the money. Maybe PJ and his coaches row the boat in "first class/business class" instead of "coach" but that doesn't really factor into success, just comfort. The UW coaches may not be getting unlimited flights but the numbers can add up quickly. Even a hundred flights over the course of a year could be worth $200k. Hell, even some of those shorter local flights get pricey pretty quickly when you're trying to get to a smaller city.

I'm sure they'd appreciate a bigger budget, but I've never really heard any UW coach complaining that the recruiting budget is a major barrier. You've heard other things over the years but that hasn't really been brought up as one of the barriers to more success.

I think frugal is being kind. Bielema bitched about resources especially coaches salary pool and so did Alvarez when he flirted with Miami. And most Power 5 schools have use of private planes available and many are included HC contracts. Wisconsin needs also to be more frugal on how many offers they give because of limitations both financial and academics. I think I posted the numbers earlier in the thread.

UW will need to get lucky find that kid that graduates and loves UW who ends up becoming a billionarie and gives to UW system in big donations to give UW more funding

Back