BadgerMens BB Thread 2023/24

Despite what Essegian is saying, I think he's going to hit the portal. He really couldn't say he was when interviewed, because I believe that would have forced Gard to remove him from the active roster moving forward. The portal stays open until May 1, I believe.

He's a good player, just doesn't fit into the new game the Badgers are throwing on the floor. If he got more physical, I might change my mind.

So
Despite what Essegian is saying, I think he's going to hit the portal. He really couldn't say he was when interviewed, because I believe that would have forced Gard to remove him from the active roster moving forward. The portal stays open until May 1, I believe.

He's a good player, just doesn't fit into the new game the Badgers are throwing on the floor. If he got more physical, I might change my mind.
You're probably right. I hope you're not.

First, even with my frustration with Gard, I don't think he's going anywhere.

But, after last night, is Tony Bennet no longer in the line to replace Gard?

He did win a National Championship with VA. But, other than that what has he done? First 1 seed to lose to a 16. Early exits. Last night. Arguably, he's done less than Gard with more playing roughly the same style.

Hus seat at VA has to be getting warmer.

First, even with my frustration with Gard, I don't think he's going anywhere.

But, after last night, is Tony Bennet no longer in the line to replace Gard?

He did win a National Championship with VA. But, other than that what has he done? First 1 seed to lose to a 16. Early exits. Last night. Arguably, he's done less than Gard with more playing roughly the same style.

Hus seat at VA has to be getting warmer.

I think Tony gets a pass for this year, but next year is pretty much fish or cut bait. I don't think he's out of the picture if Gard is replaced to be honest. I think he just had a clunker team this year, but even still.... 20 wins in a year ain't nothing to sneeze at.

I think Tony gets a pass for this year, but next year is pretty much fish or cut bait. I don't think he's out of the picture if Gard is replaced to be honest. I think he just had a clunker team this year, but even still.... 20 wins in a year ain't nothing to sneeze at.
Gard gets 20 wins. It's about the tourney. Neither are getting it done.

If we replaced Gard with Bennett we're just getting roughly the same thing. It wouldn't make sense to me.

I don't think Bennett is high on the list any longer. I think they'd turn to someone else, maybe even someone coming out of DII ball, like Tom Brown of West Texas A&M. He cut his teeth coaching HS basketball in Wisconsin, for Gilmanton. He produced winning teams with a HS that only had around 50 kids in it. Essentially every boy there was playing basketball at the JV or Varsity level. He knows how to teach the game, and his teams learn to win.

As far as his recruiting, I can't say at this point, but I do know his reach extends beyond the Texas border, and has several smaller city players from Illinois.

I'm not touting him for the job, just saying there are a lot of coaches flying under the radar, and he's a prime example. The question would be if a guy coming from that level could get the assistants needed to do a solid job of recruiting. I just can't say to be honest.

Since the brackets were chosen, many said you'd get wacked.

You didn't hurt anybody brackets.

You were basketball soft like non-wisconsin people foresaw.

Pissed to the beejesus.

Like I've said repeatedly, the Badgers can't play playground basketball, and a team of kids that cut their teeth on that game muscled them off the court as if they were the kids that they'd take lunch money from. JMU simply shut down the kids who knew how to play against them, then put the hammer down physically on the others, and it was all over.

It's not going to change until they have a changing of the Gard. (Pun intended)

I still think Gard is back because of the buy-out but he certainly doesn't deserve to be back.

It'll be a changed roster next year. Wahl is obviously gone. I suspect AJ Storr has had enough and will move on. Was listening to a podcast and it was pointed out that Gus Yalden is not traveling with the team anymore - likely a sign he's gone. Despite what he says, I wouldn't be surprised if Essegian finds a better fit.

They add Freitag and that will be a plus, but I'm not sure Robison is ready so he won't be much help. Gard will have to hit the portal hard and find a couple of 4/5 types but I don't have a ton if faith that he can actually bring in enough help to make a difference. I suspect we see a middling team next year and then Gard will be gone.

I actually think he can coach. Look at those first seasons with Bo's recruits. He just doesn't understand how to build a roster. There are too many "skill" guys who lack the necessary raw athleticism. Just look at this year's freshman. Winter looks reasonably athletic but I doubt he'll ever be a plus defender at the hoop. Blackwell is a skilled and tenacious freshman, but he's hardly an explosive athlete and has trouble get to, and finishing at the rim.

Gard is back next year. He signed the deal before the start of the 22-23 season and the contract has a $12 million buyout for the first 3 seasons so that goes thru the 24-25 season. After all the coaching fires in the last couple years UW probably can't afford to fire another teams staff. Even after the 24-25 season the buy is $8 million for the 25-26 season and $5 million for the 26-27 season. Chris McIntosh will probably admit in private that he messed up on that one. So no matter if they would choose to fire him Gard gets a lot of money to walk out the door. UW could be forced to keep him and just let his contract run 3 more years if they don't want to pay Gard and another coach a large amount of money.

Back