8 or 12 team playoff?

One more issue that i am sure that’s being considered. Fan travel. Will fan travel for 3 weeks? Some schools have had issue with even selling allotments now. If you win the semi it’s a quick turnaround to book air & hotel. Schools do not want to be on the hook for tickets. I have heard they were discussing on campus games for the top 4 seeds but issues with ticket revenue are there
What if you do a top 6 then and top 2 teams in nation get a bye game?

If you go to 8 teams I don't think you are going to be that bad. May some years will you have a 10-2 team make it yeah but I don't think a 1 vs a 8 would be horrible unless it's a bama that will steam roll everyone in the playoffs no matter what.
It’s not ideal either. I think 8 is the compromise

But still I think more money paid out will win in end be it 6-8-12 teams. Remember greed is good.
You missed what I said. The university presidents won’t go with 12 for multiple reasons. 6 makes no sense as if solves nothing

The travel thing is real. It’s been an issue for a few years just with bowls even NY 6 Bowls. Invites were usually announced Sunday after Thanksgiving, then conference championships pushed that back 1-2 week. Making travel plans gets complicated. It’s not a cheap trip to begin with. For me it’s easy to make plans for Outback or Orange, easy drive or quick flight but Clemson to Phoenix or Dallas is not a calkwalk, neither is Tuscaloosa to anywhere

The travel thing is real. It’s been an issue for a few years just with bowls even NY 6 Bowls. Invites were usually announced Sunday after Thanksgiving, then conference championships pushed that back 1-2 week. Making travel plans gets complicated. It’s not a cheap trip to begin with. For me it’s easy to make plans for Outback or Orange, easy drive or quick flight but Clemson to Phoenix or Dallas is not a calkwalk, neither is Tuscaloosa to anywhere
Still I think CFP games would sell out even if you have a extra week.

Still I think CFP games would sell out
Maybe but it’s far from a given. Nose bleed face value gets near $450 each. So if have to travel 3 weeks + hotel and airfare and food and drink can you find cash for 3 trips. Probably going to cut out one. I can tell you 1st hand it’s a problem

I know for a fact NY6 bowls have major issue selling tix

8 teams seems clean and clear to me and adds only one extra game and week. I think enough of the presidents can possibly get behind that. 12 is just kind of an goofy number. No matter what, you end up with yet another week. Plus, you have to have some kind of bye week, likely with the top 4 teams sitting out the first round.

Those first round games would pair 5-12, 6-11, etc. Those will be competitive games, for the most part. Still, there are some logistical issues for the schools and some tough financial decisions for the fanbase.

Back