8 or 12 team playoff?

A lot of major schools, not in the big 5 may not go with the idea. With only 3 at large spots open, that could be ate up pretty quickly with conferences that are mid range, leaving independents out of the mix. Or, vice versa, independents in, and conference winners out.

My question is this. How many total schools are in the program, and how many of them are in the big 5? I don't know off hand, but if they don't total half of the schools, they might have a rough time getting confirmation at 8.

Just shooting from the hip here. Not certain it will be an issue.
The only real independents are BYU and ND. AAC, MAC, Mountain West, CUSA, Sun Belt will go along for the ride because of the $$$. Now there has been talk on a Group of 5 playoff similar to the CFP

The only real independents are BYU and ND. AAC, MAC, Mountain West, CUSA, Sun Belt will go along for the ride because of the $$$. Now there has been talk on a Group of 5 playoff similar to the CFP
I think this is a long way off. I think talking maybe a decade before you see the Power 5 try something like this.

But if they expand do you say if you make the top 10 you get a spot in the 8 or does it go to top 15 were will you set it with a expanded field.
Right now the criteria only applies to NY6 Bowls, the committee does the CFP rankings so if they are ranked in the top 4-8-12-16 whatever happens they are in

I think this is a long way off. I think talking maybe a decade before you see the Power 5 try something like this.
its not the P5 pulling it off its the Group of 5 having a similar "playoff".

Right now the criteria only applies to NY6 Bowls, the committee does the CFP rankings so if they are ranked in the top 4-8-12-16 whatever happens they are in
Yeah but will always have someone upset say a team ranked 7th or 8th gets passed over for a non-power 5 who say is ranked 12th.

Yeah but will always have someone upset say a team ranked 7th or 8th gets passed over for a non-power 5 who say is ranked 12th.
The committee has their criteria and they dont care if someone is upset. Go undefeated and see what happens

The committee has their criteria and they dont care if someone is upset. Go undefeated and see what happens
Still likely every year with expanded field going to have SEC trying to gobble up those other 2-3 at large spots.

Still likely every year with expanded field going to have SEC trying to gobble up those other 2-3 at large spots.
no not really, it depends how the committee ranks them. Will they get 1 at large probably but its not a lock

Back