2024 NFL Season Thread

Tua could find doctors to tell him not play but so could Miami saying he could. Would likely be forced into arb at that point.

But who among us after just signing a few months ago a deal worth over $200 million dollars would walk away? I think many of us would be like Tua and say no I am not giving that up. I am going to figure a way to come back and try to avoid getting more be it adjust my style of play or wear a guardian cap or do whatever but no way am I giving up that money.
So, how much of that money would he get if he doesn't play again, because he was advised not to play by doctors? If he would get..... let's just spitball here....... $150 mill instead of $200 mill, would that be worth crying over? When is enough money enough money?

Also, what would the team gain by acting like dicks over this whole thing. Future potential free agent signees would be very skeptical about any contracts with them, unless they were 100% guaranteed no matter what.

But, that's just my opinion.

So, how much of that money would he get if he doesn't play again, because he was advised not to play by doctors? If he would get..... let's just spitball here....... $150 mill instead of $200 mill, would that be worth crying over? When is enough money enough money?

Also, what would the team gain by acting like dicks over this whole thing. Future potential free agent signees would be very skeptical about any contracts with them, unless they were 100% guaranteed no matter what.

But, that's just my opinion.
He got $167 million in injury guarantee's when he signed.

He got $167 million in injury guarantee's when he signed.
There it is. Now, is it also possible that if injured, that guaranteed money becomes non-taxable, because of what it is? I don't know the laws governing that amount of quid.

But to retire would it require a doctor to say you are already showing signs of CTE you should retire. Team would likely fight it saying we think you can play again and be cleared. If Tua would want to retire and have his doctors saying it's unsafe for him it would probably result in the team and his people doing some kind of settlement were he won't get the full $167 million but still gets enough. Though Tua probably could retire after this year pay back the pro-rated portion of his SB and still have 10's of millions made to retire on.

But to retire would it require a doctor to say you are already showing signs of CTE you should retire. Team would likely fight it saying we think you can play again and be cleared. If Tua would want to retire and have his doctors saying it's unsafe for him it would probably result in the team and his people doing some kind of settlement were he won't get the full $167 million but still gets enough. Though Tua probably could retire after this year pay back the pro-rated portion of his SB and still have 10's of millions made to retire on.
Not certain, but I believe he'd get the whole $167. The question would be as to how much of the rest of it he'd get, and as we saw in Bakh's case, there's also that paycheck as well for not being able to play. Add in workman's compensation specifics, in Florida, and keep right on going with all the rules, regulations, and laws, dealing with the whole thing.

I don't have a clue as to how anyone could weigh through it. I think some of it, maybe most of it, is based on state laws, unless it comes into view for federal labor laws. Then there's other issues, as to how it can effect the entire NFL. Could it even put a wrecking ball in play dealing with their being exempt from federal laws, including the Sherman Anti-Trust law.

And here we have the main reasons that attorneys keep raking in the dough. They own the sifters, to separate wheat from chaff.

Not certain, but I believe he'd get the whole $167. The question would be as to how much of the rest of it he'd get, and as we saw in Bakh's case, there's also that paycheck as well for not being able to play. Add in workman's compensation specifics, in Florida, and keep right on going with all the rules, regulations, and laws, dealing with the whole thing.

I don't have a clue as to how anyone could weigh through it. I think some of it, maybe most of it, is based on state laws, unless it comes into view for federal labor laws. Then there's other issues, as to how it can effect the entire NFL. Could it even put a wrecking ball in play dealing with their being exempt from federal laws, including the Sherman Anti-Trust law.

And here we have the main reasons that attorneys keep raking in the dough. They own the sifters, to separate wheat from chaff.
Thing is Miami is not going to just take the word of his own doctor they would make team doctor say he can't play with that much money no way would they just say his doctor can make the call because he could go to Dr. Nick Rivera otherwise to get it LOL

Thing is Miami is not going to just take the word of his own doctor they would make team doctor say he can't play with that much money no way would they just say his doctor can make the call because he could go to Dr. Nick Rivera otherwise to get it LOL
I think it will be more in line with NFL doctors who come into play. They have personnel who are available for that duty from what I gather.

Miami is in a tough spot now. If they push him to play, they'll be looked upon badly - so they have to tread lightly on what they say and do.

Back