2022 Badger Football Thread

Right now, the Big 10 has an interesting alignment, geographically. From Illinois to the West, It's;

Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
USC
UCLA

To the East;

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

All those to the East are in the Eastern time zone. Kind of a natural divide. I doubt if any teams listed in the Western group would really want to be thrown into the Eastern group unless totally necessary. You don't want to be turned into hamburger when you can at least have a shot at playing for the Big 10 championship.

Right now, the Big 10 has an interesting alignment, geographically. From Illinois to the West, It's;

Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
USC
UCLA

To the East;

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Maryland
Rutgers

All those to the East are in the Eastern time zone. Kind of a natural divide. I doubt if any teams listed in the Western group would really want to be thrown into the Eastern group unless totally necessary. You don't want to be turned into hamburger when you can at least have a shot at playing for the Big 10 championship.
Thing is how do you arrange the schedule? If you play at least 8 or go to 9 games in conference play that will give you 6-7 games in your division side. The West will likely have a much easier schedule as you will likely have maybe a couple top teams each year feeding off a weaker division. The East might complain this is unfair that they are playing harder teams thus driving down their records due to teams they have to face.

Waiting on Notre Dame before doing anything else.
I checked and saw ND TV contract with NBC runs thru 2025 so the earliest ND would join another conference would then be 2026.

So would this possibly make sense in next few years if Big Ten expanded to 20 teams?

ND, TCU, Pitt, NC/NC State?

I checked and saw ND TV contract with NBC runs thru 2025 so the earliest ND would join another conference would then be 2026.
Don’t believe what you read on this. Just sayin

Here is some stuff learned from some folks I know at ESPN & FOX
  • ESPN was the driving force behind Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC. Remember ESPN basically owns the SEC Network
  • On the flip side FOX was the push to get UCLA & USC to the B1G. Remember Fox basically owns BTN
  • Not saying either network brokered the deals but in reality they did
  • Fox and ESPN are not on friendly terms but also understand they can control the CFP and how they are structured
  • NBC wants a piece of the B1G media rights and ND knows it. To make a long story short, ND is using NBC as a proxy to go to the B1G or SEC. If they can find a match to “allow” ND to keep some sort of media deals separately, it’s a done deal. compromise might be what % of NBC share goes to ND. It’s complicated
  • Both folks at ESPN and Fox believe ND has an offer to join the B1G now
  • ND biggest concern is a seat at the CFP table and the easiest way to get there. They can’t do that as an independent
  • B1G would in a perfect world like ND, Stanford , Oregon and North Carolina ( sorry Mark). UNC goes back to Delany , he wanted them and remember The Emperor is tight with Delany and has clout in the B1G
  • Big 12 is meeting sometime this week with Arizona, Arizona State , Utah and Colorado
More to come

Last edited:
Thing is how do you arrange the schedule? If you play at least 8 or go to 9 games in conference play that will give you 6-7 games in your division side. The West will likely have a much easier schedule as you will likely have maybe a couple top teams each year feeding off a weaker division. The East might complain this is unfair that they are playing harder teams thus driving down their records due to teams they have to face.
I think it’s going to come down to “protecting” rivalry games so in UW case, Iowa , Minnesota and Nebraska. Rest would be balanced and rotating

Back