2022 Badger Football Thread

I don't think the Big 10 is going to abandon the West coast. I see them studying the possibility of one of the Oregon Schools, and one in Washington as well. Then there's Cal, and Stanford, both of which might be viable options too.

#1 on the list for expansion? I think Notre Dame is going to end up in the Big 10. That leaves a minimum of 3 to 7 spots for expansion.

Could end up as 2 each 10 team divisions, East and West, or four team divisions with 5 each, when it's done.

I believe they're going to want to wrap up the entire Western US, to keep the SEC isolated to the SE.

Funny thing is, it's also possible the Big 10 will show interest in teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Arizona, Texas A&M, and a lot of teams just on the fringe of SEC country.

In the end? I see the Big 10 becoming a "super conference," with probably 4 divisions of 8 teams each as soon as 20 years down the road. They are not going to allow the SEC to win this one.
Follow the money. Colorado makes sense as does Washington but Oregon and Oregon State not so much. Cal? maybe, long shot.

Comes down to money. No coincidence that the B1G TV deal was not finalized last month. New deals with SC & UCLA probably gets B1G schools a $100m per year payday.

Of Big 12 schools, Kansas makes the most sense. 2 things the B1G covets. Big TV markets and AAU schools.

that team in South Bend is the big fish

Follow the money. Colorado makes sense as does Washington but Oregon and Oregon State not so much. Cal? maybe, long shot.

Comes down to money. No coincidence that the B1G TV deal was not finalized last month. New deals with SC & UCLA probably gets B1G schools a $100m per year payday.

Of Big 12 schools, Kansas makes the most sense. 2 things the B1G covets. Big TV markets and AAU schools.

that team in South Bend is the big fish

Following the money meant not seeing what was happening. Some people put way too much emphasis on the money "now," and don't see how it can play out in the future, if you corner the market. Sometimes you give a little, and gain a lot.

Big 10 at 16? I see them hitting 20, then 24. They're going to enter markets that have "potentially" strong future media presence.

Bean counters focused on elimination of divisions. Great! The Big 10 used "sleight of hand," to insure that nobody knew what their true intent actually was.

Reality 1, Bean Counters 0. Some times you just say; "Screw following the money. It's not conducive to tomorrow."

I don't think the Big 10 is going to abandon the West coast. I see them studying the possibility of one of the Oregon Schools, and one in Washington as well. Then there's Cal, and Stanford, both of which might be viable options too.

#1 on the list for expansion? I think Notre Dame is going to end up in the Big 10. That leaves a minimum of 3 to 7 spots for expansion.

Could end up as 2 each 10 team divisions, East and West, or four team divisions with 5 each, when it's done.

I believe they're going to want to wrap up the entire Western US, to keep the SEC isolated to the SE.

Funny thing is, it's also possible the Big 10 will show interest in teams like Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Arizona, Texas A&M, and a lot of teams just on the fringe of SEC country.

In the end? I see the Big 10 becoming a "super conference," with probably 4 divisions of 8 teams each as soon as 20 years down the road. They are not going to allow the SEC to win this one.
A&M is already on the SEC.
No chance you can get them now.

Following the money meant not seeing what was happening. Some people put way too much emphasis on the money "now," and don't see how it can play out in the future, if you corner the market. Sometimes you give a little, and gain a lot.

Big 10 at 16? I see them hitting 20, then 24. They're going to enter markets that have "potentially" strong future media presence.

Bean counters focused on elimination of divisions. Great! The Big 10 used "sleight of hand," to insure that nobody knew what their true intent actually was.

Reality 1, Bean Counters 0. Some times you just say; "Screw following the money. It's not conducive to tomorrow."
The B1G and SEC will be at 20. How and when is the open question but it’s inevitable. How it plays out with Notre Dame will be fascinating.

I don’t think it was slight of hand, super conferences were inevitable. B1G expansion was inevitable. How it played out yesterday was a response to Texas and Oklahoma. How if played out was always the question. It’s all about having a seat at the table when CFB Playoffs expand.

Remember this little factoid. NBC is in the hunt for a share of B1G media rights, they have publicly said they feel it’s a “nice fit” with their Notre Dame media rights. So for anyone who thinks this shift in conferences is just been recently discussed, well no. It’s been on the table for a few months

Remember this little factoid. NBC is in the hunt for a share of B1G media rights, they have publicly said they feel it’s a “nice fit” with their Notre Dame media rights. So for anyone who thinks this shift in conferences is just been recently discussed, well no. It’s been on the table for a few months
Excellent point. That also points Notre Dame in the direction of the Big 10, or does it? Maybe it says that Notre Dame could stay where it's at, or end up going independent again. All on how the tea leaves are being seen by individuals.

I'm a believer that ND is going to have to eventually choose between the SEC and the Big 10. Naturally, they should join the Big 10, because it would be perfect for all their sports. Anyhow, that's my opinion.

What you need to be finding out now is what kind of potential impact joining the Big 10 would have on the viewership for schools like Oregon, Washington, etc., over a four or five year period of time, if they were adding new blood to their schedules. I have a hunch that some projections will show a substantial increase in support. But, I'm just guessing.

Excellent point. That also points Notre Dame in the direction of the Big 10, or does it? Maybe it says that Notre Dame could stay where it's at, or end up going independent again. All on how the tea leaves are being seen by individuals.

I'm a believer that ND is going to have to eventually choose between the SEC and the Big 10. Naturally, they should join the Big 10, because it would be perfect for all their sports. Anyhow, that's my opinion.

What you need to be finding out now is what kind of potential impact joining the Big 10 would have on the viewership for schools like Oregon, Washington, etc., over a four or five year period of time, if they were adding new blood to their schedules. I have a hunch that some projections will show a substantial increase in support. But, I'm just guessing.
The stumbling block to “get “ ND is they have wanted keep their NBC deal and the B1G has been firm it’s all in shared revenue. And you are 100% correct it’s a 2 conference race for ND

As to staying an independent / ACC school makes no sense anymore. They get $15m per year from NBC and $11m per year from the ACC. Join the B1G or SEC your payday is $100m per year

As to viewership let’s get one misconception out of the way. It’s more about household counts / carriage / retransmission fees than ad revenue. Did Rutgers bring “viewership”? No they brought the #2 HH media market. B1G gets about 37 cents per HH in fees. NY is 7.3m homes ….$2.7m per month in revenue. So….Washington makes sense more than Oregon, Seattle vs Portland. And why I stated GA Tech makes sense (I know it’s a Bulldog market) but that’s 2.4m homes.

Right now the ACC is at DEFCON 2. Mediocre rights package, ND bolts they lose a marquee name and FSU and / or Miami are sitting ducks for the SEC

Follow the money

Going with media market sizes. Let's look at other larger markets, and see what might be in those areas. Here are the top 50, from Wiki. Not certain it's 100% accurate. Showing Big 10 teams in their zone, and in ( ) Those teams who are in these zones and could pull them into the Big 10 with them. (Name) = Locations I would target.

Add on to this list anyway you want. There are larger media audiences out there that the Big 10 could still snag.

Back