2021 Off Season Thread

So with Smith back for 2021. What do you know do with Gary? 2021 is his 3rd year and will be the year you need to decide if you are going to pick up his 5th year option or not. The 5th year for Gary will likely be around $9-10 million dollars. For the Packers to pick this up they need to get Gary on the field more and see what he can do.
I agree, but there's no reason they can't find enough snaps for him. Give him 10-20% of Z's snaps, and 20-30% of PSmith's snaps plus a decent number of pass rush opportunities where they're on the field together and you should be able to get him in on 50-70% of the total defensive plays. Should be a big enough sample size.

He really started to come on last season, so unless he's a complete bust this year, just add the 5th year. By then PSmith will be gone and you'll have his money to give to Gary.

Would it be that the Packers intend moving one of the Smiths, or Gary into the middle on some snaps?

The personnel moves make little sense, you moved on from your DC and brought in a meh hire. You restructured guys so for the most part you're going to play with the same people that have been toasted vs teams that are more athletic and have speed?

10 YEARS...A decade since you've seen a SB. Your QB will be 38 and you fail to get him the personnel he needs. Your defense is just good enough but can't play with the heavy hitters.....

And you do this ??? The front office has about 2 years before the wheels fall off and they did nothing this week to address the issues at hand except to continue to covet their own and preach continuity.

Yeah yeah I am being hyper-critical, Love ML but the front office I have zero faith in anymore. Murphy can retire yesterday and Gute learned a lot of nothing from TT. rant)sb(tc(

Last edited:
The personal moves make little sense, you moved on from your DC and brought in a meh hire. You restructured guys so for the most part you're going to play with the same people that have been toasted vs teams that are more athletic and have speed?

10 YEARS...A decade since you've seen a SB. Your QB will be 38 and you fail to get him the personnel he needs. Your defense is just good enough but can't play with the heavy hitters.....

And you do this ??? The front office has about 2 years before the wheels fall off and they did nothing this week to address the issues at hand except to continue to covet their own and preach continuity.

Yeah yeah I am being hyper-critical, Love ML but the front office I have zero faith in anymore. Murphy can retire yesterday and Gute learned a lot of nothing from TT. rant)sb(tc(
GB seems to be happy with the hey if we can make the playoffs that's good enough and have never had the drive to go all in to put them on a Super Bowl level. It's all about making sure the team is good in a long term run and that you never have to go all in so you might be garbage after that period.

I agree, but there's no reason they can't find enough snaps for him. Give him 10-20% of Z's snaps, and 20-30% of PSmith's snaps plus a decent number of pass rush opportunities where they're on the field together and you should be able to get him in on 50-70% of the total defensive plays. Should be a big enough sample size.

He really started to come on last season, so unless he's a complete bust this year, just add the 5th year. By then PSmith will be gone and you'll have his money to give to Gary.
Almost a given P-Smith will be given the heave-ho in 2022, unless they extend him early (spoiler alert: not happening). Cutting P-Smith before 2022 league year starts will save $12.5M, and that’s enough to cover Gary’s 5th year option cap charge.

Per OverTheCap the Packers are still $2.35 million over the cap.

GB can still make some salary adjustments to make a play for one decent free agent, but the big question is do they have the smarts to make a play for the right player who could make a big difference.
I’d like to see them go after DT Dalvin Tomlinson and supplement that with one smart DL draft pick.
That could fix the DL for years.

GB can still make some salary adjustments to make a play for one decent free agent, but the big question is do they have the smarts to make a play for the right player who could make a big difference.
I’d like to see them go after DT Dalvin Tomlinson and supplement that with one smart DL draft pick.
That could fix the DL for years.
To be honest, I don't think they have the $, you still have to sign your RFA and draft picks etc. There just isn't a ton to work with. They have to hit on draft picks in rounds 1 through 3. In reality, the same team as last year will take the field with a couple of minor changes.

Back