17th Game Rotation

NFL players play 1 game a week and with the season camps and playoffs it last 6-7 months. They get six to eight figures a year in which they only work half a year. Pretty good paycheck for working half a year. Look at all other sports they are playing just as long if not longer and have multiply games a week to play. NFL players like to bitch a lot when they have it pretty darn good.
I can't speak to that part, I don't really want to get into what they deserve versus how much work they do, to me it's irrelevant - players and league are operating within the universe they've set up for themselves, the fact that it doesn't look like the universe of other professions or sports leagues doesn't matter to me.

I'm annoyed because my football circadian rhythm is set up to 16 regular season games and I think it's stupid to change it, but at the same time the players - who agreed to change it - are also complaining about it. Just don't complain about something that you made happen.

You know the other joke is that, I’m watching NFLN right now and guys are talking about how to make the move palatable to the players. LOL. These jackoffs voted for the thing. Didn’t read the fine print? Bend over. Thought the owners would work with you? Bend over.
Read? We don't need no stinkin' readin'

I can't speak to that part, I don't really want to get into what they deserve versus how much work they do, to me it's irrelevant - players and league are operating within the universe they've set up for themselves, the fact that it doesn't look like the universe of other professions or sports leagues doesn't matter to me.

I'm annoyed because my football circadian rhythm is set up to 16 regular season games and I think it's stupid to change it, but at the same time the players - who agreed to change it - are also complaining about it. Just don't complain about something that you made happen.
Circadian Rhythm!!
priceless!!! LOL!!
Thanks rp!

NFL players play 1 game a week and with the season camps and playoffs it last 6-7 months. They get six to eight figures a year in which they only work half a year. Pretty good paycheck for working half a year. Look at all other sports they are playing just as long if not longer and have multiply games a week to play. NFL players like to bitch a lot when they have it pretty darn good.
And the vast majority of the players are out of the league in 3-5 years for various reasons and many don’t make millions. Sure there are guys who are set for life. The reality is players in any professional sports league have little to no leverage when CBA‘s are negotiated. They cannot in the majority of cases miss game checks, workout bonuses for any length of time. Ownership? They could lose 2 seasons and not skip a beat. Player compensation is tied to revenue sharing, only real fixed cost would be football operations cost (coaches, scouts , FO). Players know it, owners know it. It’s like the line in Animal House “thank you sir can I have another “

And the vast majority of the players are out of the league in 3-5 years for various reasons and many don’t make millions. Sure there are guys who are set for life. The reality is players in any professional sports league have little to no leverage when CBA‘s are negotiated. They cannot in the majority of cases miss game checks, workout bonuses for any length of time. Ownership? They could lose 2 seasons and not skip a beat. Player compensation is tied to revenue sharing, only real fixed cost would be football operations cost (coaches, scouts , FO). Players know it, owners know it. It’s like the line in Animal House “thank you sir can I have another “

Mr. Neidermeyer!

Unions are the same way they will only look out for the guys at the top of the food chain and hang the bottom out to dry This time the guys at the bottom decided to take what they could get for themselves while they could
Highly disagree with this. Been owner, middle management, grunt and was a union member once upon a time for 20 years

Depends on the union of course but was in the trades. The same as a football player,the better you are and the more you can do of course the busier you stay and more you make. Some have abuse things and gone astray granted. There are schools thru the trades where one can better themself but if they don't take advantage of that then who's fault is that? Imo was worth it just for the health insurance and pension alone, not to mention better money, hours and weekends off or OT working them vs straight pay.

Both parents and youngest son all union members.
Agree with “T” on all counts.
Only thing I would add is that unions “can” (but not always) protect slackers who should be weeded out.
All family members have voiced that on multiple occasions.

Union dues are important to the union.

Both parents and youngest son all union members.
Agree with “T” on all counts.
Only thing I would add is that unions “can” (but not always) protect slackers who should be weeded out.
All family members have voiced that on multiple occasions.

Union dues are important to the union.
One important thing here, pro sports unions function much differently than a typical union. Pro unions are run by the rank and file for the most part and people like Smith are more figure heads and legal council.

Back